seize the day

panicsurvivor

Now will not come again. We all spend too much time looking at the past, and the future. Then one day you find there is more time behind you than there is in front of you. My dad's health, has been failing for a few years now, and he has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer......again. This time nothing can cure him, he is too weak for more surgery or chemo. I have spent so much time living in fear, that I have forgot to live. Anxiety and Panic is all caused by us. Not others, not situations, not geography, not past trauma. We are afraid of being afraid. We have let our own minds develop unhealthy thinking patterns to put us in the place that we are. I am furious with myself for letting my panic disorder rule me for as long as it has. There is so much water under the bridge. I have missed out on so many things, have let myself live a limited existence, and for what? Too avoid my heart rate going up? Racing thoughts? Shortness of breath? Tingling legs? Life is so short. My dad is going to die before he reaches 55. I am 32. I can't spend the rest of my life dealing with a problem that I am causing myself, and then die with nothing to show for it but memories of fear. Please everyone. Get out there. Do exposure therapy, or cbt, or anything. But don't let your life pass you by.

Kiwong

My heart goes out to you and your Dad, Panicsuvivor.

I hope you can take this situation to turn the tables on this illness.

My father died in May last year, and like you, I am determined to throw myself at the world and try to live more.

I do this in part because I want to represent my parent as best as I can, and also to make best use of the gifts they gave me.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear that about your dad. That absolutely terrible.

But it's very impressive and heart warming to see that you're choosing to take it as a lesson, instead reason complain, even though nobody could blame you if you did.

It's a good message to hear for many users here too. Sometimes we forget that there are worse things in this world then being scared.

You just let me know if there anything I can do for you, yah hear?

twiggle

I have a lot of admiration for you panicsurvivor, and you too kiwong.
You are both a credit to your parents, and they'll be so proud of you now.
Keep strong and live life to the full in their honour. Do the things they always dreamed of but never got a chance to do.
You'll meet again someday, and they'll want to hear about every detail.

Thank you for sharing with panic - you are a great man with a great heart!! I admire you very much!

Indeed you're right in everything you say. I will try to keep it in mind - thx. I'm gonna save this page and re-read it once in a while