School :(

Do any of you regularly skip class (whether school or college etc) because some days you just can't face the people there?

I haven't been to any of my classes for the past 2 weeks :(
Having to socialize with or simply be around classmates/teachers takes such a toll on me sometimes.

I feel really guilty about this because the academic year has just begun and I've missed most of my classes. Now I'm behind and it's just not a good start to the year. Today I drove down to campus, started walking to my block then turned around, ran back to my car and drove back home...

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I've done that for about 2 years, then I figured that:
1 - It wasn't leading anywhere
2- It was causing me more anxiety than if I would just face it and go, because I kept feeling very guilty about it and I kept failing my classes, which lead to other more serious problems, etc.

So here's your new resolution: NOT going to your classes is NOT part of your options anymore. You'll see, it works very well.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I've done that for about 2 years, then I figured that:
1 - It wasn't leading anywhere
2- It was causing me more anxiety than if I would just face it and go, because I kept feeling very guilty about it and I kept failing my classes, which lead to other more serious problems, etc.

So here's your new resolution: NOT going to your classes is NOT part of your options anymore. You'll see, it works very well.

Yup. It's taken me many more years than I'd have liked to graduate college due to this. Id go to classes; but avoid taking classes I needed/wanted, putting off long as could. Made it worse overall; now that Im taking those classes I feared this year, not as bad as I thought. Still a well of anxiety/stress but... yeah. I feel like Im growing a little rather than not.

ILovePocky

Last year in my senior year of high school I missed a LOT of days. I was worried I wouldn't be able to graduate towards the end of the year because I kept calling in sick.
The more you miss school, the harder it is to catch up D:

Ryguy2598

I've skipped class on some days....when my confidence wasn't so high. But overall, it's not a big deal to me just going to class. You don't even have to talk to anyone (although I would like to)....But I'm missing a lot of classes for my 2nd semester of college...though it's not because I'm afraid to go. It's because, from the beginning, I didn't want to try....so basically I'm failing all my classes and there's not much of a point of going other than having something to do so I go sometimes anyway......I honestly believe I would have more motivation to try if I had a social life and not as much SA....it's hard for me to spend hours doing homework realizing what I'm really missing out on in life. I don't want to spend my time w/ learning chemistry, math, or w/e I want to get better people skills and have a social life. If I can get that taken care of then I will be able to happily make it through college.

N1LOY

Been there, done that.
I know that feeling to face people again, they are going to ask questions... and you can't even answer with details... how you have this disorder and stuffs...

Sometime we just have to set our mind and catch up. That's what I am doing, because I missed/cut lots of classes last few months.

School was probably the biggest cause of my SA. I missed at least 40% of classes in grade 7, 70% of classes in grade 8, and 90% of classes in grade 9. Actually, I think I only went to school for two weeks total in grade 9. When I would have one of my bad mornings and I felt depressed and anxious, that bad morning would turn into a bad couple days to a couple weeks. When I tried (and I did try dozens of times) to go back I felt like all of the other students didn't know me, and didn't want to know me. The only time people talked to me was to ask me why I was away all the time. It made it harder, and so I stopped going.

It created a lot of problems, not only for me but with my parents too. Children's aid was back and threatening my parents that if I wasn't in school they would be charged. Thankfully that never happened, but it was still a huge problem then.

that year changed my whole school career. I'm going to have to stay behind an extra year, maybe two. It'll show up on my university application and it will matter, no matter how much progress I've made. It's a vicious cycle that needs to be broken right away.

I still haven't faced my SA issues (I'm in a secluded school now) and it will only be worse next year. Right now I haven't missed a day in maybe two months because I haven't had a bad case of anxiety. I wish someone forced me to go every day.

School was probably the biggest cause of my SA. I missed at least 40% of classes in grade 7, 70% of classes in grade 8, and 90% of classes in grade 9. Actually, I think I only went to school for two weeks total in grade 9. When I would have one of my bad mornings and I felt depressed and anxious, that bad morning would turn into a bad couple days to a couple weeks. When I tried (and I did try dozens of times) to go back I felt like all of the other students didn't know me, and didn't want to know me. The only time people talked to me was to ask me why I was away all the time. It made it harder, and so I stopped going.

It created a lot of problems, not only for me but with my parents too. Children's aid was back and threatening my parents that if I wasn't in school they would be charged. Thankfully that never happened, but it was still a huge problem then.

that year changed my whole school career. I'm going to have to stay behind an extra year, maybe two. It'll show up on my university application and it will matter, no matter how much progress I've made. It's a vicious cycle that needs to be broken right away.

I still haven't faced my SA issues (I'm in a secluded school now) and it will only be worse next year. Right now I haven't missed a day in maybe two months because I haven't had a bad case of anxiety. I wish someone forced me to go every day.

Aw I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm glad you've improved! It was pretty bad for me last year, I missed over 50% of my classes.. unfortunately one course required at least 80% attendance so I didn't do too good.

Lostinthemusic

I've been missing a bunch of classes lately as well. Hard to say how many exactly, I don't really pay attention to that part.

Why I'm doing it is another story, sure anxiety plays a role, but I can't tell what the base issue is and that tends to makes it worse.

nicole1

Yes. I was doing an internship and I told my supervisor the situation...so now I'm working from home like an idiot b/c I can't manage being in a room full of people and working...
I do regularly miss class. I began failing spanish b/c my inability to interact. I began skipping... Then I just dropped. I have one online class and two face-to-face classes. I go to one only on test days and the other I skip just because...it's crowded...and the people are jerks...

Lucia

My SA started really bad in the 8th grade. I was picked on so much on the school bus by the high school kids, I just couldn't stand to go. Once in high school, each year I missed the maximum allowed days one could miss and still pass.
College was far worse. I flunked out my freshman year because I couldn't stand going. I quit and waited a few years and went back slowly (one or two classes at a time) until I was able to go back full-time. Even so, I have 1 year left of college and I've withdrawn from so many semesters due to my SA that I've paid triple what a normal person would. I can't go back now because I have about 200K in student loans-- mostly from semesters I couldn't finish.

If you are in college, I'd advise you to go to the disability support center and get your SA documented. If you do this, it will help you big time when you find you need to be off of school. I'd hate to see it facilitating your SA, but it's better to be prepared for it than to be stuck with a massive financial debt like I am.