Scarey

Kiwong

Some shops/service stations I go into around the town I live, I get the impression that some of the staff are uncomfortable serving me. I scare them. If they react that way my anxiety feeds off it and becomes worse. Usually I stop going to those shops.

Does anyone's anxiety scare other people?

Last edited:
Some shops/service stations I go into around the town I live, I get the impression that some of the staff are uncomfortable serving me. I scare them. If they react that way my anxiety feeds off it and becomes worse. Usually I stop going to those shops.

Does anyone's anxiety scare other people?

I dug out some old photos including self portraits that I've taken now and then - I don't like to smile for photos, in some of these my straight face looks angry and scary :mad::eek: Cant say its a problem, though. If people serve me and not chat then good :D

Yes. Sometimes people even openly admit it. Though, not to my face. There was this one time when I was walking through a hall, and I passed two people. Then one said to the other ''That guy really scares me.'' then when I looked back, I caught both of them staring at me.

They turned their head quickly. I didn't do anything ''scary'' is this situation other then being nervous.

D

deleted user 1

I've had the same experiences. It all shows in your body language, and others will read this as such and it makes them feel uncomfortable. Which makes us feel even more uncomfortable, and thus the cycle continues @_@

One of the things that I really had to work hard on was eye contact and posture. That alone has made a dramatic improvement in how others react to me. Still a work in progress though, especially when the time comes to speak, total disaster lol.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Well when I was younger I would always have a pissed off,I hate life(me) look on my face, and I think I probably scared lots of people then. Now I force myself to smile, so I give off a more friendly, cute, uncomfortable vibe. Really I think my mood effects how I am taken. If I'm tired or don't feel like talking, maybe a little scary. Smiling and postive, nice quiet kid.

Kiwong

Phocas, I saw a photo of me recently when my anxiety was active, my eyes are like dinner plates. I can understand that my anxiety makes people uncomfortable.

I have had that too, Blackpuma. I hear things said about me, and it paralyzes me with fear. I know what is said is untrue, but I can only stand by and die a little each time.

Thats what I need to learn Aristocrat, eey contact and posture. I need to re-learn to recommunicate with people on a basic level.

Vj288, I would like to give off a more comfortable vibe, but as soon as I start to talking to anyone my anxiety prevents any form of communication.

Yes. Sometimes people even openly admit it. Though, not to my face. There was this one time when I was walking through a hall, and I passed two people. Then one said to the other ''That guy really scares me.'' then when I looked back, I caught both of them staring at me.

They turned their head quickly. I didn't do anything ''scary'' is this situation other then being nervous.

Wow that's not cool Blackpuma :(

I've experienced the same.. *ouch* Like hear people say things like ''Omg, that girl look shes handicapped'' Seriously, I felt embarrassment hearing people say that. They were in my school. They always made fun of my anxiety.
You know, I really look like i'm Handicapped sometimes, because I have tics :( Or get really tensed around people and act really anxious and like all the people around me are monsters and I'm acting really stupid.

I'm so ashamed of my anxious behaviour.. I ''call'' them tics , because I constantly Blink with my eyes, I keep on looking around and act like I want to run away and if I had a stressfull day I keep on twitching my neck, that relieves my stress.. But It's really bad I know.

It's so sad when I think back of the times people were making fun out of me.

UnOccupied

I used to have a similar problem that goes hand in hand with this. I used to think that other people thought i was an a-hole. This would make me think i was scaring them when talking, and that they just fully hated me.

My therapist helped me to realize this is so unrealistic. There has never been any reason for me to believe this, it is just my anxiety thoughts. So, he told me whenever this happens, to think to myself, "where is the evidence that anyone feels this way towards me? Where is the proof anyone is thinking this?"

It has really helped me. Probably the best rational line i have ever heard in batteling MY specific SA. Hope this helps for you too! :)

Kiwong

Flowegirlie, I find that some people will talk about me like I'm less intelligent than them, because I am awkward and anxious. It really annoys me.

I have tried that too, Unoccupied, test my irrational fears that everyone hates me, or is tlaking about me. It is often untrue.

Dave1989

• Wow that's not cool Blackpuma :(

[*]I've experienced the same.. *ouch* Like hear people say things like ''Omg, that girl look shes handicapped'' Seriously, I felt embarrassment hearing people say that. They were in my school. They always made fun of my anxiety.
    [*]You know, I really look like i'm Handicapped sometimes, because I have tics :( Or get really tensed around people and act really anxious and like all the people around me are monsters and I'm acting really stupid.

[*]I'm so ashamed of my anxious behaviour.. I ''call'' them tics , because I constantly Blink with my eyes, I keep on looking around and act like I want to run away and if I had a stressfull day I keep on twitching my neck, that relieves my stress.. But It's really bad I know.

[*]It's so sad when I think back of the times people were making fun out of me.

i can relate to this so much

Social_Monstrosity

It is such an intense struggle.

Once your worries and anxieties become so transparent toward others, they begin to treat you as an inferior. Fear gives off SCARY vibes, even if the fear isn't directed toward you. You can feel it. Whenever I'd be late in class (Which was very seldom, as I did NOT like drawing attention to myself) EVERYONE already in the room would be quiet. Why is this? They fear you perhaps? Or maybe misunderstand you?

I don't know...but the few times I do deal with people I can tell they're trying to be condescending with me.

It makes me sick thinking back on all these horrible memories. I'm sorry for everyone struggling with this disorder. :(