SA-Employment/Glass Ceiling

Capsaicin

I don't have much experience at this point, but what I have has been mixed appreciation and scapegoating. I multitask. I brainstorm. I adapt. I'm punctual. I'm honest. I'm conscientious. I'm scheduled. I think ahead. I stick to tasks. I admit mistakes and seek to improve. I take on extra work and cover others' weaknesses. I can chase a kid who thinks he's tough shit out from behind the counter of the school store.

I'm not social, but I don't need to be particularly social except for jobs that revolve around winning favor like retail. Going back to that would be a nightmare, because the status jockeying was so severe that people in my position were delegated the responsibility of helping disabled customers others didn't want to help and criticized for not being able to do our normal duties - though management didn't want us to leave them, either. Networking is important, but I think the requirements for keeping a few contacts who respect experience and skill are pretty basic once someone is past the worst of their struggle.

(I'm going into IT, by the way, and will still be working with people. IT and CS not having to work with others is a stereotype that probably comes from another stereotype: loner nerds in their basement who never come out or talk to anyone.)

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

I think awkward behavior and not being as social is a little more tolerated in IT. IT does have to work with a lot of different people as well (depending on the position).

Capsaicin

I think awkward behavior and not being as social is a little more tolerated in IT. IT does have to work with a lot of different people as well (depending on the position).

That is true for some. Anyone involved in repair or maintenance mostly needs to not clash with others or lose their temper when they're being blamed for the client's mistakes, not win them over.

Kiwong

I don't really want to advance into the inner circle. That's mainly administrative and management orientated. That is not where I want to end up.

nicole1

You have raised an excellent point. Employment for us is very difficult. There are some on this site who have found success in this area and are able to hold a job despite their illness. For the rest of us, it's an endless, wandering journey.

I think most of us have to find what we are good at, then what we are actually able to do.

Medication is also another solution. There is a guy on here who I talked to who seemed to do really well with his medication. While it wasn't the sure fire way for me, it may work for others.

All I know is we have to find a way in life, which is what my mother always tells me. I've found a job that I feel okay with and hope to stay at for a year or so. I've not been able to hold a job for more than 6 months.

Froggy246

I think employers usually get a bargain with SA types because, with me anyway, I tend to apply for jobs below my capabilities in order to avoid failure and tricky social responsibilities, like giving presentations or having lots of meetings which I would be expected to participate in.
So I have found it fairly easy to get work, albeit poorly paid, and so far my contracts have been made permanent because I end up doing much more than I'm paid to do, and in this climate employers are keen to take advantage of this.
Promotion opportunities have come up in the past, but again I'm too scared to go for them for the same reasons as above.
So I do feel capped because of SA but I'm the one doing the capping really.
I ain't very brave when it comes to facing my fears.

Odo

Banned
The world is very much socially driven, and there are very few jobs out there that you can get without networking. I haven't been able to get the kinds of jobs I wanted because I really struggle to appear confident and assertive in interviews, and in life in general. I think I've heard something like people who go to the bar a lot are actually better off than people who stay home all the time, regardless of your work ethic or credentials... it's pretty angering.

Every time I open my mail I see links to articles about making a good impression, networking, interview tips, doing up your online profile, etc... and it makes me want to give up on everything.