Riddle Me This

It's something you collect until the day you die, you'll never touch it, and you'll most definitely always feel it. What is it?

Lea

Banned
And this one: you collect it during most of your life, you always touch it.. but never have it :D.

Lea

Banned
Yes, money. Now solve this: A hunter goes 10 km south, then 10 km east, 10 km north and ends up in the place from where he started. There he shoots a bear. What color had the bear?

Nack

Banned
Yes, money. Now solve this: A hunter goes 10 km south, then 10 km east, 10 km north and ends up in the place from where he started. There he shoots a bear. What color had the bear?

He doesn't end up in the same place he started... And i dont get the question in the end? "What color had the bear?"

klytus

He doesn't end up in the same place he started

That's true for planar geometry. However, he's on Earth, so we have to consider spherical geometry.

He does end up where he started, as he walks on the surface of (almost) a sphere. It makes sense to have an equilateral triangle with a 90° angle at each of its corners, if we only deal with triangles projected onto the surface of a sphere. That is, its edges can't leave the surface. However, to get a closed path this way you have start at certain points on the sphere, like the "north pole". So, I guess it was a polar bear he shot. ^^

Last edited:

Nack

Banned
That's true for planar geometry. However, he's on Earth, so we have to consider spherical geometry.

He does end up where the started, as he walks on the surface of (almost) a sphere. I guess it makes sense to have an equilateral triangle with a 90° angle at each of its corners. But that only works with certain points of origin on the sphere, like the "north pole". So, I guess it was a polar bear he shot. ^^

I still don't understand... but meh.

klytus

I still don't understand... but meh.
Imagine Earth. If you start at the north pole, and walk "south" you walk on the surface of the sphere. Say, you are in London, now. Then you walk east-ish, and get to St. Petersburg, then you walk "north" and end up where you started. You have to take into account the surface curvature which puts spheres apart from planes.

recluse

A father and a son are involved in a car accident, sadly the father dies but the son survives but is in critical condition and is rushed to hospital. On arrival the Dr dealing with him says ''I can't treat him...He's my son!''......How can this be?