Removing/Limiting Anxiety Contributing People

A86

An unfortunate, and infrequently addressed reality of dealing with SA is elimintating ties with people that damage our self-esteem on a consistent basis.

This is a very interesting point that immediately grabbed my attention.

"You can choose your friends but you can not choose your family" as the saying goes. Could that be like someone trying to get over hay fever by leaving grass pollen in the places they reside?

It also makes me think about the "younger aged people seem to have it worse" topics recently. They are after all, in an environment were they have very limited control?

This doesn't necessarily relate to just families (probably any ties to persons from which you are dependant).
Sometimes they can/should not be eliminated?
How do we limit their negative influence otherwise?

I would be very interested to hear all your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Plan9

I don't think it's as simple as that. I think there are times when you need to cut ties with people but untill you deal with the internal problem some thing will just come along a replace them.

jaim38

"You can choose your friends but you can not choose your family" as the saying goes. Could that be like someone trying to get over hay fever by leaving grass pollen in the places they reside?

Sure, you can choose your family. "Family" to most people means blood ties, but "family" to me is more than this. I cut ties with relatives who keep putting me down.

It also makes me think about the "younger aged people seem to have it worse" topics recently. They are after all, in an environment were they have very limited control?

I agree. The younger you are, the less control you have over your environment. I feel sorry for the kids who developed fetal alcohol syndrome because their moms drink during pregnancy.

This doesn't necessarily relate to just families (probably any ties to persons from which you are dependant).
Sometimes they can/should not be eliminated?
How do we limit their negative influence otherwise?

If they can't be eliminated, limiting their negative influence will be hard, especially when you live with them and see them everyday. You must have a strong will and determination to not be influenced by them.