Receptionist job worries

Satine

I'm not sure whether this is the best place to talk about this, but since I want to rant about feeling anxious and hear what others have to say, I guess this is as close as I can get.

I've just started a new job. I took the job because I've been on a process of self-development and felt confident enough (or near confident enough) to take it, and I'm determined to see it through.

I work in a call centre. But not just any call centre: it's a call answering service. Essentially, we serve hundreds of companies and pretend to be from each of them to the customers who call. We have to pretend that we, as the answering service, don't exist so that the customer's experience appears seamless. We then relay any messages to the company who uses our service.

This is all well and good, and I'm getting used to 'being from' hundreds of different companies. The problem comes when one of those companies doesn't pay its bills, forbids us from informing callers that we're an answering service rather than the company themselves, and the callers know about the existence of call answering services.

That's the situation I'm in. I've taken a call from one particular, very irate customer, for the last two days, and there's a fair chance I'll get him again tomorrow. I'm really not looking forward to it.

He absolutely crucified me this morning for a good five minutes. I think he played every trick he could think of to catch me out, and I only cracked in the last couple of minutes. I had to say that nobody at the company was available and made the mistake of saying that nobody was in the office. This was a mistake because the call centre I work in sounds like a call centre: he could hear that people were in there. I can't really say that there are people in the office but in a meeting, because call centres don't sound like meetings, even on the opposite end of a phone.

He threatened that he'd get off the phone this morning but tomorrow he'll call again and demand a mobile phone number to the company's boss and not get off the phone until I do. I am not authorised to do that.

I asked my trainer for advice and she didn't have much to give.

Hnngghh. Feeling under much pressure right now.

MikeyC

That is a strange job. Is that a normal thing - to act like other companies? :idontknow:

Anyway, I think you may need to repeat this to your trainer. It sounds serious and if he's being that threatening, there'll only be so much a person can take. Sounds like an awful job!

Section_31

I'm not sure whether this is the best place to talk about this, but since I want to rant about feeling anxious and hear what others have to say, I guess this is as close as I can get.

I've just started a new job. I took the job because I've been on a process of self-development and felt confident enough (or near confident enough) to take it, and I'm determined to see it through.

I work in a call centre. But not just any call centre: it's a call answering service. Essentially, we serve hundreds of companies and pretend to be from each of them to the customers who call. We have to pretend that we, as the answering service, don't exist so that the customer's experience appears seamless. We then relay any messages to the company who uses our service.

This is all well and good, and I'm getting used to 'being from' hundreds of different companies. The problem comes when one of those companies doesn't pay its bills, forbids us from informing callers that we're an answering service rather than the company themselves, and the callers know about the existence of call answering services.

That's the situation I'm in. I've taken a call from one particular, very irate customer, for the last two days, and there's a fair chance I'll get him again tomorrow. I'm really not looking forward to it.

He absolutely crucified me this morning for a good five minutes. I think he played every trick he could think of to catch me out, and I only cracked in the last couple of minutes. I had to say that nobody at the company was available and made the mistake of saying that nobody was in the office. This was a mistake because the call centre I work in sounds like a call centre: he could hear that people were in there. I can't really say that there are people in the office but in a meeting, because call centres don't sound like meetings, even on the opposite end of a phone.

He threatened that he'd get off the phone this morning but tomorrow he'll call again and demand a mobile phone number to the company's boss and not get off the phone until I do. I am not authorised to do that.

I asked my trainer for advice and she didn't have much to give.

Hnngghh. Feeling under much pressure right now.

If you aren't authorized, your hands are tied.

I say discuss this with your manager before you go on the phones tomorrow. That way he or she is already informed of the situation and t hey may be able to advise you on how to handle it.

Don't give out the number. if he refuses to get off the phone or gets too attitudy, hang up on him, and immediately then let your manager know. They might not like that you did, but you'll be in less trouble than you would be (from their perspective) had you violated company policy and given the number out.

Having been in this situation myself, its more about picking the hill to die on if you know its going to happen.

good luck, and keep us posted.