Random wave of social anxiety.....

Prestonator

Hey guys!

So today I was with my boyfriend up town, and well we were just sitting on the grass next to the cathedral talking when a wave of anxiety suddenly hit me. I haven't had an anxiety attack for such a while now since I have done so well to keep it under control. I mean i can't think of any reason why I would just suddenly be anxious and feel like I was going to vomit (sorry about that!). It was horrible. I don't get it. But its when your anxiety suddenly hits you that it is hard to keep it under control and stop making yourself feel anxious. DO you guys have any tips for what I could do if this happens again??

Section_31

My wife has had this happen to her on several occasions.

this is what works for us, i dont know if it would work for you two.

her: she has her anxiety attack. she needs to get out of the situation, and get out NOW. She will usually take off and find someplace "safe". for her this is someplace quiet, like a book store, or somthing similar. Basically she will wander untill the feeling dissipates.

Me: I do my utmost not to make a big deal out of anything. I try to act like everything is normal, and not ask her if anything is wrong or anything like that. I used to do so but she said that made it so much worse, as if the whole world was staring at her. I let her go, and dont try to stop her or follow her. I'll usually give her 10 to 15 minutes to be by herself and reassert herself mentally, before i come looking for her. Then, depending on her physical stature (is she hyperventillating? sweating, trembling, ect) i may gently ask her how shes feeling.

From there i usually take her out to starbucks or somthing, try to get her blood sugar back up and maybe just take it easy for the rest of the day. it works for us, but may not be for everyone.

WeirdyMcGee

Think a bit more about your surroundings and topic of conversation because somewhere in there is a trigger, I would think.
If could've been something very subtle-- but figuring out exactly why you suddenly felt so anxious is a part of understanding how to prevent it from happening in the future.

Prestonator

ut figuring out exactly why you suddenly felt so anxious is a part of understanding how to prevent it from happening in the future.

Well i usually know why I would have an anxiety attack.....but this time I really have no idea. It was just so random!

Omg, it's like you describe my situation. I have this happening a several times.
Waves of anxiety come hit me all the time, I feel like I'm on explodes.
I really want to escape, or lay down or just relax somewhere, what helps me, is sitting in the sun (if it's too hot, I'd rather not) take a shower, read a book, calming music, holding my hands under cold water, walking in the park, singing a song, writing a poem, just to get my mind somewhere else

It is very hard to escape, but lately It won't bring me a complete panic attack, it's 'just' a wave of anxiety (I say 'just' because it's not just 'something' it's terrifying)

I feel like an awkward idiot sometimes, acting so freezed up if I'm anxious, I'm a complete different person, so socially weird, Which I'm not! If someone really knows me, they know i'm all different ! stilll.. so hard to be myself... yarp

I notice that it happens if I'm in the bus mostly, I'm at a place I haven't been for a long time, if i'm sitting close to people, getting a little claustrophobic (just claustrophobic for people heheh, not places anyway i don't care at all)

Also happens if I haven't ate for a long time or worry about lots of stuff.

What helps, is a big doze of humour. Laughing is a real medicine, believe me. LOL

Or sport, just run my feet off like I need to catch that roadrunner meeping bird, like coyote does, I bet he loves it, Ay ay ay anxiety.... I'd better catch this bird and put that stupid anxiety bird in the cage and let him not escape like I needed to miss so many things in life! hell yeah!

meeepppp meeppp

So.... Yeah, anxiety waves are really attacking me ::(: they are really having control over me and I wish I could not let it happen anymore, I really want to calm down.. It also helps to just relax your shoulders and your whole body, and close your eyes for a while and just think about nothing. mind to zero.

Or just imagine yourself sitting in a beautiful park, singing birds, beautiful landscapes and nice green park... In a social situation, i try this all the time, I imagine all people are trustworthy and caring, like you guys on SPW
Sometimes i really think like, what if all the people in the bus were from spw? ::p: they would at least understand me, so I wouldn't have to feel afraid! ;d
and If I would, nobody would blame me and judge!! :cool:

you guys are amazing! :]

From there i usually take her out to starbucks or somthing, try to get her blood sugar back up and maybe just take it easy for the rest of the day. it works for us, but may not be for everyone.

Oh really? giveee me starbucks, does it really help !! hehe cool:)

Last edited:

Section_31

Oh really? giveee me starbucks, does it really help !! hehe cool:)[/QUOTE]

Saskia, Starbucks is on the way! :)

Blabla..

Is it just physical or is your mind filled with thoughts of fear ,

There is alot of physical conditions that have very similar physical symptoms , weakness , sweating , trembling , dizziness , nausea etc ..

Like WeirdyMcGee said , there must be a trigger if this was really anxiety , could be something really subtle such as someone laughing in the background .

MagicPotion

I can definately relate to this.

Weirdly I don't get the urge to run away, like a lot of people do, but the opposite, a complete inability to move. Last time this happened was at work, I spent almost an hour sat there at my desk, until my head and hands went numb. I got sacked not long after.

I just try and distract myself because it gets worse if I'm aware of my surroundings - it's usually my surroundings that kick it off, so if I can shut my eyes and mentally block off the awareness of where I am, I calm down relatively quickly.

Not sure if it will help - but having breathing exercises and a mental exercise, like imagining being somewhere alone and peaceful, that helps me a lot sometimes.

Prestonator

Is it just physical or is your mind filled with thoughts of fear ,

well today i just felt a tight knot suddenly form in the pit of my stomach. and then I just felt sick. Felt like I was going to be sick. But i think I feared being sick...

The odd thing was, was that I was sitting outside in a park....a place i would usually go to relax. It was very hot though so i guess that probably didnt help.

Weirdly I don't get the urge to run away,

I'm the opposite, i feel the need to run....which you cant always do.