Questions! Questions! Questions!

RedRibbons

I hate when people comment on things I like..

ie. I was making "white" spaghetti (not whole wheat) and my stepdad commented on that. I have, lol, christian bale as my wallpaper, and he asked about that. I was watching this cheesy movie, and he commented about that.

It feels likes.. Judgments against my interests - what I like, every time he comments on something. I feel like it's prying and it drives me mad. Seriously. I am pissed off right now.

I hate being questioned so much. I get really anxious and feel defensive, I get really reactive too... All I want to do is get away from people when it happens (I came to my room)

Is anyone else like this? What is this garbage? How do I fix it? Can anyone help. I try to just suck it up but it makes me feel so angry inside. :/

Last edited:

RedRibbons

I also don't do certain things around people because I don't want them to comment on what I am doing... and i don't want them to make assumptions or think wrong of me.

I'm the same way Red... people don't even have to be saying it in a mean/accusing tone either and I still get defensive. I don't even tell people about many of my interests until I'm absolutely comfortable with the person and know that it won't get laughed/scoffed at.

agoraphobickatie

i think i used to be like this.. or sometimes i am and sometimes i'm not..

like i have this paused scene from a youtube of a 'new moon' trailer, and "jacob" is shirtless like hunched over shit... whats her name, lol.. "bella" okay, but anyway, he looks delicious and i was like damn that shit is hot! anyway, it's a screen shot of his hotness and it's my wallpaper on my laptop (i know, right!?), and since i set it as that, i'm just waiting for my dad to be like "what in the world!?" in some weird tone of voice and me have to explain, haha... i think i just hate explaining things sometimes.. anywho, i guess i've gotten pretty good about just not giving a shit about most things, lol..

this post was absolutely no help, but i totally know what you're talking about! haha

RedRibbons

Thanks for your replies guys. How do you deal with it? Cause I just get angry and have to avoid the person that is stirring up such hostility in me - It doesn't stop the annoyance though.

I end up talking in an irritable tone too and feeling really bad about it.

It's been so long since I've actually had this happen- because my way of "dealing" with it is to just avoid the questions happening in the first place. I don't express my ideas, opinions, and interests around people that I think (or know) might question my tastes. I think the times that it did happen, I just tried to shrug it off and say "So what, that's your opinion" even though I did actually care that they said something. I may not necessarily have cared about the opinion of that person in particular, but it just made me feel like I'm weird or a freak- that I'm the only one that thinks the way I do or that it's humiliating/embarrassing to have my particular interests.

agoraphobickatie

i understand that it's really difficult, but just try your best to really weigh out what means anything to you... something i really like about my personality is that i don't really care if people do or do not like whatever i like.. i like things for ME and that concerns no one else, so it just doesn't bother me what anyone has to say about it... i have a lot of friends who don't read the whole 'twilight' series JUST BECAUSE sooo many (weird, haha) people really like it and they don't want to 'follow the crowd' ...who gives a shit? i like those books because I think they are effing good! haha.. i'm not going to NOT like something just because random people have some differing opinion... see what i'm sayin? i know that's not what you're saying your problem is, lol, but it helps to just be confident in things you like, and fukk whatever anyone else thinks, haha... i'm having a hard time giving good advice, you'll have to ask questions and get it out of me, lmao!

cosmosis

Oh, I'm just like that. When I lived with my parents, my bedroom walls were bare, I refused to decorate anything, because I didn't want anyone judging me based off what I like. Still do infact. I've never really thought about it though, I wonder why that is? And why does it bother me so much? It just seems so unfair to be judged off likes and dislikes that change all the time..?

releaseme

I try to just suck it up but it makes me feel so angry inside. :/

he who angers you...controls you.
and the more they anger you, the more you lose control of yourself.
and the more you lose control of yourself, one day you'll find yourself acting out in anger in a way you never thought you would.

and anger is one of the hardest emotions to control when it has it's grips on you.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It depends of the questions and it depends of who asks them. If those who ask are people I know and like, then I don't mind. My friends are allowed to ask anything they want and give their opinion if they want to.

What angers me the most is when those who ask or make comments are strangers or people who don't know or understand me too well. Every time they comment, I feel they are trying to change me or tell me how to live, or implying that I'm wrong/abnormal and they are right/normal. And it angers me even more when they comment about my negativity or if I'm too silent or serious, or they tell me how "I need to cheer up" or be happy, laugh more, go out and make friends, etc. I wish they would just shut up...