Psychologist for welfare health-insurance VS other psychologists

Moses199

I have free welfare health-insurance called Medi-Cal which is for low income people. Will the psychologist who accept this free health-insurance not be as good as psychologist who require other health-insurances that is not for low-income people?

Megaten

Thats going to be difficult to answer unless a person has experienced both. But at a glance Id have to guess that yeah an expensive Dr would be of better quality.

Moses199

Thats going to be difficult to answer unless a person has experienced both. But at a glance Id have to guess that yeah an expensive Dr would be of better quality.

I would think so too. But many of them take other insurances, so that counters my opinion sometimes.

GraybeardGhost

My experience has been the opposite. I have been to both a high-priced private-practice shrink and to doctors and counselors at a very inexpensive state-funded center. The people at the low-cost center took the time to listen to me and did their best to help me find solutions to my complex problems. They were willing to take home smaller paychecks because they genuinely cared about helping people with mental issues and low incomes. The expensive guy was too busy to listen or do any research, and his lack of caring bordered on sadism. As a result, I got very poor results. He was clearly in it only for the money and prestige, not to help his patients. I later spoke to other ex-patients of his who agreed with that assessment. Just my personal experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Megaten

My experience has been the opposite. I have been to both a high-priced private-practice shrink and to doctors and counselors at a very inexpensive state-funded center. The people at the low-cost center took the time to listen to me and did their best to help me find solutions to my complex problems. They were willing to take home smaller paychecks because they genuinely cared about helping people with mental issues and low incomes. The expensive guy was too busy to listen or do any research, and his lack of caring bordered on sadism. As a result, I got very poor results. He was clearly in it only for the money and prestige, not to help his patients. I later spoke to other ex-patients of his who agreed with that assessment. Just my personal experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Yeah I was just taking a wild guess tbh. My experience is with a shrink in the military and 2 my college provided. Im not sure how expensive they are but I cant say I experienced anything groundbreaking during our sessions. It did help some, though Ive heard some here say that shrinks had the opposite effect and has them thinking that they are hopeless at this point.

Moses199

How did you find his ex-patients? sorry to hear that man, i'm glad you atleast found the right people. I would guess if one were to try other expensive therapist eventually they would find the right one. I feel like finding a the right therapist is like a numbers game: if you weed through alot you will eventually find the right therapist with your desired qualifications. But of course that takes time.

Moses199

Yeah I was just taking a wild guess tbh. My experience is with a shrink in the military and 2 my college provided. Im not sure how expensive they are but I cant say I experienced anything groundbreaking during our sessions. It did help some, though Ive heard some here say that shrinks had the opposite effect and has them thinking that they are hopeless at this point.

So you weren't though 3 therapist and none helped solved your issue? That sounds disappointing. I rember reading therapy is not about the psychologist making decisions but more about the patient coming to his own conclusions to their problems. I havn't really experimented with this philisophy as i havn't did therapy yet but maybe it will help you out.

Last edited:

Megaten

So you weren't though 3 therapist and none helped solved your issue? That sounds disappointing. I rember reading therapy is not about the psychologist making decisions but more about the patient coming to his own conclusions to their problems. I havn't really experimented with this philisophy as i havn't did therapy yet but maybe it will help you out.

Well not anything groundbreaking, but it wasnt a total waste of time either. Im not totally free of social anxiety but Im not paralyzed by it anymore. A lot of my issues stemmed from bullying so I had to talk through a lot of my thoughts about myself and other people to my therapists. Some things they offered insight on that made life a LOT less stressful, but on other things they didnt know what to tell me because they werent mind readers. Like my biggest issue was feeling emotionally and physically ugly to people and at my college I felt race had a lot to do with why I couldnt make friends or a love life. They didnt know what to tell me because it may or it may not have been the reason. But they tried to steer me away from that thinking and build more confidence because ultimately not everyone will like me and thats just life.

Yeah they asked a lot of questions like "how did that make you feel?" or "why does this upset you?" and sometimes I surprised myself as to what my answer was after digging enough. Then it comes down to forcing yourself to interact with people and putting things into practice. Group sessions helped a TON because it forced me to talk in front of people, but it was safe because they all had issues lol. But I feel that for the most part social anxiety kinda leaves a scar on your mind that doesnt entirely go away, but it can be dealt with and managed. I could be wrong though, Ive heard people claim to be totally free of it.

Last edited: