Psychiatrist Doesn't Take Me Seriously

Lucia

I have a lot of trouble even going to my psychiatric appointments every 8 weeks muchless talking when I get there. I do see a therapist every 2 weeks out of the same doctor's office, so I tried speaking to him about the problem with my doctor, only to get the same response.

My doctor has told me, "...you're too pretty and too intelligent to have real problems." He also bases this statement off of the fact that 10 years ago, I was sucessful in my job, and he says that if I did it once, I can do it again. (I keep explaining that the only times I was sucessful in life is when I was drinking all day to get through.)

Seriously, my social phobia is so bad I almost never leave the house, I don't answer the phone, get my mail, pay my bills, take my garbage out or anything. Me avoiding social situations might result in my belongings being sold at a sheriff's sale and me losing my home this month.

I explained to my therapist that part of my method for handling my anxiety is coming to his office and pretending that everything is fine so I can make it through the appointment without having to answer difficult questions. If I didn't do this, I'd cry the entire time.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation? How can I get my psychiatrist to believe me that I'm having severe problems? Please don't suggest I go and cry, if I did that, I'd be so mortified, I'd never return.

Seb

I'm afraid I do not know either. It's not their job to care or take you seriously, it's their job to shove you back into society to become "productive" again regardless of your health. Remember that they deal with people like you on a daily basis, and they've whittled their job down to patronising advice and pretend concern in order to return you to "normality" and get their paycheck.

My only advice is that you should do what I do, rely on your friends and family who have less concern for how much money they can get out of you and more concern about your well-being. If you're housebound, it's possible to claim benefit and work from home to make your living while you sort things out on your own with someone who doesn't want what's in your wallet.

mmmm

No, I have never been in that situation. It sounds like your therapist got his qualifications in a box of fruit loops. What do brains and good looks have to do with SA? I would go back to him one last time and spend the hour talking about "well, since you have obviously never been either good looking or remotely intelligent, I think I'd rather find a new therapist who has been in my situation". Or don't go back at all. But if it was me, I would rather get a few jabs in at him before I quit. You cannot possibly continue to see this person. I know you're short on money at the moment but you shouldn't commit to a therapist until you have found one you can gel with (and whom you can cry in front of). But for goodness sake do not subject yourself to weekly degradation. That's taking the whole self-harm theme a little too far.

What a terribly simplistic view. That your doctors says it is one thing. His job is merely to keep you physically as healthy as he can, but your therapist should know the difference between looks/brain and (your) personal perspective.

If you can, I highly recommend you to try and find another person/therapist to talk to. His job is not to fix your problem, but to guide you into fixing your own problem. But to do so, he has to evaluate you and guide you through use of advice and constructive criticism. Not by telling your you're too pretty and intelligent to have these kind of problems.

DespairSoul

What a terribly simplistic view. That your doctors says it is one thing. His job is merely to keep you physically as healthy as he can, but your therapist should know the difference between looks/brain and (your) personal perspective.

If you can, I highly recommend you to try and find another person/therapist to talk to. His job is not to fix your problem, but to guide you into fixing your own problem. But to do so, he has to evaluate you and guide you through use of advice and constructive criticism. Not by telling your you're too pretty and intelligent to have these kind of problems.

Great post i totally agree:)with Blackpuma

Search for other doctor because this one don't seems to helping u in any way.

I'm sorry to hear all of it. I hope u will manage work things out. U have really serious issue if u may lost your home:( If i wouldn't have my mom i would be already homeless.:/

DespairSoul

Edit>

Is very important if u have good psychiatrist to which u can trust and he understand your condition! U have to change psychiatrist because this one will not help u with such a comments which have nothing to do with your condition. Is like he talk about "goat" and u talk about "boat". U need someone who at least know what he is doing and dealing with. Maybe if u would have good psychiatrist u wouldn't be now in those bad live situation:( Maybe is also there some other option as lost the place where u live? Maybe u can talk to sheriff and explain to him what was really wrong and why u didn't pay bills? I hope u have any small income for living. I really feel with u. Because i understand why was going all of it so far. Thumbs up i hope u will be fine!

I think your Psychiatrist is a little overrating about your situation, because you don't seem socially anxious? That happens to me all the time.
Never been taken seriously since my new therapy, Finally I can talk about my probs without getting stupid offence of their perspective, they just don't understand SA, basically. Try to convince your psych even more about how you feel, and what your life is like, your struggles. Or try to ask your therapist to explain your situation, and talk it off your chest, you should feel good around your psychiatrist,right?:) trust is needed.

Last edited: