psych meds long term?

lonelee1

has anyone been on antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication long term?

ive been on buspar for a few months. it helps a little, but i'm afraid if i come off it, i'll really get hit with anxiety and feel horrible.

how long can a person be on these meds?

ImNotMyIllness

I don't know. I never been on anything longer than three weeks and that was Fluoxetine, which is one of the more mild SSRIs.

cowboyup

I've been on a benzo and anti-antidepressant for a few years.

I was very reluctant at first to even go on meds but someone I used to work with said that she takes an anti-depressant and now she is going to be on it for life and that I should be glad that at least there are medications out there, available to us to take.

So, I went on them, after all, I respected her, she is retired military, etc...but now I am rethinking the whole thing.

I have been without my anti-depressant for approx. a month now and the first week or two were ok, but last week was really quite bad for me. I had these weird 'withdrawal' (I use that word cautiously) symptoms such as my skin feeling prickly or electrified, sick to my stomach, dizzy, etc. Well, these are more like 'side effects' rather than withdrawal symptoms so I have no idea what the he.ll is going on with me. I was also very, very moody, frustrated, felt like crying at everything...it was crummy.

HOWEVER....these symptoms just subsided for me and I found that even though my mind is racing, & I feel like I have ADHD, I NO LONGER feel as sad, and I can actually think more clearly and articulate better what I am trying to say. It's almost like a thin slice of onion skin was covering my brain and when the meds wore off, that covering of onion skin was also lifted; I know, strange analogy but that's the best I can describe it.

By the way, the benzo I have, I rarely take it, though I did dig into it this semester at school but I think I am getting a better handle on it, and I've never experienced any withdrawal or side effects from it.

Hope this helps. But keep in mind that everyone is different!
:)

Something-Vague

After taking Klonopin to help with anxiety for a few years, I carelessly stopped it abruptly without weaning myself off. An important note: if you ever want to go off of any medication, talk with your doctor and make sure that they wean you off. I went through the most hellish experience, although not all medications may have this effect. Still, it's better to be safe than sorry. Some of the side effects that I am almost certain can be contributed to Klonopin long-term use, even after stopping it, are memory loss at times and troubles with concentrating. However, I am pretty sure that Buspar is a different class of drugs and I'm not sure what the long-term effects may be.

I've also been taking Abilify for almost five years, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with that.