Propranolol 10mg

P+G

I spoke to my GP about shaking and head tremors whenever I felt anxious or in a large room of people. He prescribed an Ibuprofen gel to rub into the back of my neck to relax the muscles however I really did not want that. He didn't seem to understand that my tremors were brought on by anxiety and not because my head was too heavy and straining my neck muscles. I read about Propranolol online and mentioned this to him. He gave me a prescription but didn't explain much about the medicine at all. It worried me a little that I got a hold of this so easily. Propranolol is a betablocker and seems like it could be dangerous? Addictive? My GP said to take it whenever I felt I needed to. However on the packet it says to not stop taking the medicine. I'm only thinking of taking it on days when I know I have a presentation or maybe the first day of university. I don't plan to take it daily. Please can someone let me know if this is okay? I'm taking this medicine to prevent me from having head tremors. Any other useful information would be very helpful.

pinata

Wow, I am VERY glad you posted this. I was going to ask something similar and am looking forward to seeing replies on this.

I actually started taking the same dose as you of this a few months ago and it has really helped. I got sick of shaking like crazy, particularly my head, when talking infront of groups of people. I hated uni seminars, and I still do, because whenever I spoke my head would shake uncontrollably and it made me even more afraid to talk. So I went to the doc and told him about it. I said I didn't want anything that was addictive nor anything that would become less effective over time, so he gave me this low dose of 'P' (can't be bothered to type full name). He asked how often I would take it and I said a couple of times a week and it's all fine. I haven't even used a whole strip of 'P' but when I use it in seminars it really stops the shaking, my heart still beats fast but not so much and I still sweat but the shaking was what worried me most anyway. I think it will always be effective and I don't think it's dangerous at all but I think that you should be careful about taking it if you have asthma?

Davevanza

It worried me a little that I got a hold of this so easily. Propranolol is a betablocker and seems like it could be dangerous? Addictive? My GP said to take it whenever I felt I needed to. However on the packet it says to not stop taking the medicine. I'm only thinking of taking it on days when I know I have a presentation or maybe the first day of university. I don't plan to take it daily. Please can someone let me know if this is okay? I'm taking this medicine to prevent me from having head tremors. Any other useful information would be very helpful.

Hi,
propranolol is not addictive.

Usually it is used for performance anxiety ( like palying music on stage, where your hand is trembling)

As far as I know, Propranolol crosses the Blood Brain Barrier. Unlike other beta blockers. ( It enters to CNS, our brain)

I was once prescribed with Atenolol 50mg. It has a slight different property to Propranolol, as Atenolol selectively block beta-1 ( located in heart), but found it not quite useful as Propranolol which blocks beta-1 and beta-2.

Well, once again, you should consult with your doctor and seek advice from him as he is a healthcare professional and knows your condition better.

I hope this little info is useful for you.

Kind regards,
Davevanza

Davevanza

What does blood brain barrier mean? All drugs are in the blood stream once we take it right?

For example,

Voltaren ( diclofenac) tablet, works on the site of pain due to inflammation.

Panadol ( Paracetamol) works by sort of "blocking' the thing called prostaglandin causing the pain.

Morphine, Codeine etc, They work in our brain, as they can cross the barrier ( yes it's through blood stream).

So, in other words, Morphine and Codeine crosses the Blood Brain Barrier, and have a Psychotropic effect in our brain system, while Voltaren and Panadol do not.

Another example is,

Cold and flu medication, a decongestant, called Pseudoephedrine ( could be Ephedrine, as Ephedrine is somewhat stronger in effect ), to constrict the lining of our inner side of nose passage.
Once taken, it has an effect like stimulant. ( As it crosses blood brain barrier).

Nowadays, Phenylephrine is used to replaced Ephedrine and Pseudoephedrine, and Phenylephrine less likely to have an effect in our brain. ( So it does not cross the blood brain barrier, and have a psychotropic effect).

The same with Propranolol and other beta-blockers.
Doctors here, in Australia, prefer to prescribe Propranolol, as it has an effect to our brain too. ( Honestly, as I am having a Panic disorder, and taking antianxiety medication, I don't find Propranolol helping me.)

But everyone reacts differently, even to the same medication. So it is better to consult with the Doctor as he could adjust the amount of Propranolol that work for you.

I hope this info helps.

Kind regards,
Davevanza