Problem: going from being phobic to being too confident :/

cbtrox

I don't think this is normal...

Has anyone experienced this?

I'm undergoing CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) for more than a month and I have noticed tangible improvements in several situations where I used to be phobic and anxious in them. Not only the phobia is gone but it's now transformed into too much confidence and by that I mean thinking highly of myself and that people think I'm the best and the greatest. :sad:

Example: I used to have phobia from moving cars when I walk the street or attempt to cross it. Right now that phobia is completly gone but instead when I stand on the side of the road to cross it and see cars moving I get this pattern of thoughts "they must be thinking how awesome I am, God I'm so great."

It's confusing. The phobia and the anxious body language is completely gone, but these (narcissistic perhaps?) new thoughts arises. I think the real problem is that I shouldn't allow myself to think of what people think, even if that thinking is positive. Because after all it's unrealistic. This 3rd person thinking needs to be eliminated, right?

Also, I noticed that this problem damages my perception of the world and of people. Because I shouldn't be thinking FOR people. It's unrealistic. I should perceive the world as it is. As I experience it with my senses and my reasoning skills (which always need to be improved).

ImNotMyIllness

Anxiety is about too much self focus. Now, you've just swung in the other direction. That being said, I would take it!

If you're CBT is in California, let me know. I want to sign up!

Steiner

Delusions of grandeur? Sounds awesome. Though. I think this is how normal people everywhere think. Everyone is supposed to be beneath you. Step on them. You are the ruler of your domain.

hoddesdon

You are right that third-person thinking is not a good idea. When I did CBT we were told that you do not know what the other person is thinking. You are right that you should not think for people.

Perhaps you should ask the CBT trainers about this.

Steiner of Thule is right that many or perhaps most people do think this way, so if the problems of SA are being cleared away then perhaps the default option is asserting itself. I do not think that way, and did not before SA either, and am pleased about that, because being prepared to step on someone for your own gain is the definition of evil, and that is what is wrong with the world. In practical terms, it is unrealistic, since everyone is not awesome, so large numbers of people must be mistaken if they think they are.

For mine it is really good that you want to reject it. I think it reflects well on you.

jaim38

When I try to be confident in public, I get such thoughts as well. In an effort to make myself feel less anxious and more confident, I think thoughts such as "you're beautiful", "you're brave", "you're intelligent", sometimes feeling the urge to compare myself to others. Not sure if these are narcissistic thoughts, but I do feel a bit guilty for thinking them. People encourage humility, but here I am doing the opposite. It feels weird and conflicting.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I just think you're experiencing the rush of a life without anxiety, just ride it out. It will subside in time and then you'll settle in to a more "normal" frame of mind. If it continues to concern you, bring it up to your therapist.

You're doing good, man.

cbtrox

wow, thanks for your valuable comments guys, didn't expect all that. I feel better. :)

ImNotMyIllness, I'm not in Cal, I'm actually in the other side of the planet, the Middle East. :)

Kiwong

Well I'll forgive myself for reckoning I'm OK at times. I need it to balance out feeling such a failure most of the time.

lilmutegirl

It's interesting that you went from one extreme to the other. I think it's great that you are aware of this shift and that you recognize it is not healthy to view the world this way. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll find a happy (realistic) medium. :)

cbtrox

It's interesting that you went from one extreme to the other. I think it's great that you are aware of this shift and that you recognize it is not healthy to view the world this way. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll find a happy (realistic) medium. :)
This is such a soothing comment. Thank you for your words. :)