pride

Aletheia

My nephew has Asperger's Syndrome. A generation ago, that would have marked him out as a freak and an “acceptable” target for bullying. These days, now that the condition is recognised, his teachers educate his classmates about why he is the way he is. He likes his classmates, and they like him, even if he does prefer to play by himself.

And yet introverts, who make up a far greater proportion of the population that Autistics, are far less widely understood or accepted. I hear the term “introvert” used as a criticism all the time. How many of us were teased for it? How many of us pretend to be something we're not, just to please workmates and loved ones?

After reading about the Neurodiversity and Mad Pride movements, I wonder if introverts need something similar. Something to teach people that not everyone sees the world the way they do. Something to teach people that it takes all sorts. Something to teach people that it's okay to be different.

Aletheia

Both movements promote the rights of their target groups.

Neurodiversity goes further, and suggests that people "on the spectrum" are not ill, only different, and do not need a cure.

coyote

Both movements promote the rights of their target groups.

Neurodiversity goes further, and suggests that people "on the spectrum" are not ill, only different, and do not need a cure.

i tend to agree with this philosophy

25% of the general population is introvert.
We draw our energy not from socializing but from things like reading, writing or a good film at home. All the things many extroverts may consider ~~> man! that's boring.

Extroverts draw their energy from being quite social, outgoing, jump from event to event without tiring.

Extrovert tells her friends, "after we check out this place lets go over there and we can do some more." While the humble and quiet introvert in the group follows but thinks, I'll stick around for a bit but I really want to finish that poem.

Extroverts would have zero troubles with an extroversion movement or joining an introversion movement if they so desired.

Introverts may be well receptive to the idea of an introversion movement but will be unsure if they will attend or contribute to such a movement. As it would be taxing and energy draining.

The world as we know it today was made by and for extroverts. It's a tough world for us introverts. We'll be ok, we always are.