"Praying" for my recovery

Diend

Ever since I had a mental breakdown, my mother has had a morning ritual of praying to Guan Yin, a buddhist deity. she lights the incense and sets a shot glass of water near the figure. she recites the scripture three times and kowtows a few times. Later in the day, she has me drink what she calls "holy water"...water blessed by Guan Yin. This behavior is akin to praying. She's doing nothing to help me recover.

Prayer can be more about the prayer feeling better in themselves because they believe they are doing something constructive

Sometimes methods of aid can clash a lot depending where you and others stand on philosophy and/or religion. But regardless of whether it is effective or not, the gesture and willingness is nice. At the very least it shows that she cares.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Your mum loves you, and I think you should appreciate the effort she is making for you.

I'm not religious at all. I think religion holds mankind back in the dark ages.

But even I have to say it's a beautiful gesture your mother is showing.
Drink the water, smile at her when she says she's prayed for you. It'll make her feel like she's making a difference in your life.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Maybe I'm idealizing the thing but if you take away the religious aspect of it, it sounds like a relaxing ritual. Maybe you can take it that way? Or maybe you could drop that ritual if it's too silly for you and find your own way of meditating, and explain that to your mother?