Potential Friends

IamThisOne

This is a bit long, but please read it because I need some advice.

I just started my third semester at community college and I have found three girls who I am interested in becoming friends with. I have not spoken to any of them. I am observing their behavior to try and get an idea of what kind of person they are.

Since I do not talk to anyone on campus that much, I usually observe people and see what their behavior is like. What interested me in these three girls is that they appear to be different than the majority of girls I see, both in appearance and behavior.

The first girl I noticed is in my psychology class. She has brown hair and pale skin, which is cool because I think pale skin looks very attractive. She is pretty skinny. She does not dress like most of the "glamorous, athletic, more popular" girls. She usually wears jeans and a t-shirt. This I find interesting because most girls wear very short shorts, probably because the weather is very hot and humid. Her t-shirts usually say things on them. I have concluded that she was in a club in high school called HOSA because she wore a t-shirt from the club. I have discovered that she lives in the same county as I and that she went to prom because she wore a prom t-shirt. This could mean that she has a boyfriend because she went to prom; however, it could mean she was on the prom comity. I noticed that she wears a bracelet that has the German flag on it and it says "Germany". This suggests that she is interested in Germany, which is cool because I am too. Her behavior in class is quiet. She does not speak to anyone or stealthily text on her phone during class, unlike most girls. That could suggest she is introverted. I have also discovered she is a year younger than I am.

Another girl is in my art class. She has red hair and is skinny. She also does not dress like the majority of girls on campus. I do not know her name. There is an area in next to the supply store and the cafeteria where students congregate and use their laptops and play Magic cards and stuff. I discovered that this girl uses her laptop here before going to art class. As far as I know she has at least one friend. She texts on her phone quite a bit, but not during class. She is pretty quiet and does not talk during class.

The other girl I noticed today in the cafeteria. She was sitting alone at a table against the wall. I tried to get the table next to her's so I could observe her closely (and have something pretty to look at while eating), but when I went to get my food someone took it so I had to get one farther away. Because she chose this seat could suggest several things: she just chose the seat for no reason, she does not feel comfortable sitting amidst a sea of other students, she wanted to be alone. She also did not seem to conform to fashion trends. Because she was alone could mean that she does not have much friends, that she just got out of class and just used her time to go to lunch before her next class, or she just wanted to be alone. She mostly ate at the grill that serves "junk food". This interested me because the majority of girls stay away from this area when they eat. Another thing that interested me was that she was drinking cola. In my observations I have found that most people will choose juice or tea over soda. I sort of have a respect for soda drinker because soda is one of my favorite things. I did not see her text once while she was in there, which reinforced my idea that she does not have many friends on campus. I saw her doing homework or studying which is cool because it suggests that she cares about her school work. This, however, could be the reason she chose to sit alone. I noticed that she has a class in the room across the hall from my psychology class on Tuesdays and Thursdays at about 1:30. I'm going to try and see if she goes to lunch at the same time so I can find out where she goes afterward and possibly make contact with her, if I get the courage.

I am going to gather more information and do more research before I attempt contact. So far my best chances seem to be with the girl in the cafeteria because she is not in any of my classes and if she rejects me, I won't have to see her a lot. The girl in my psychology class seems to be the one who I have no chance of befriending because I only see her in my psych class which is my last class of Tuesdays and Thursdays. After class she goes to her dorm.

I was thinking that if I see the girl in the cafeteria again I could maybe wave to her. I could do this every time I see her and hopefully she could get the idea that I am trying to be friendly with her. I'm guessing if she waves back or smiles that she would be easy to approach, but if she does like most girls do to me (curl their eyebrows and look at me in a very disgusted look) I know not to approach her.

Do you guys think waving at her would be a good idea?

I also want to say that I am aware that my results are based on observation and that does not make my ideas about these girls true.

So what do you guys think?

Long indeed. No worries. I got through it.
You are very observant. Why is that, I wonder.

I simply observe, I need to know what others are doing. Involving me in their actions, must know.

Waving, say hi instead.

Simple answer is you must, dreadful it may seem, talk with them.

IamThisOne

I think if I just walk up and talk to them, they will get freaked out by this stranger coming up and talking to them.

I think if I just walk up and talk to them, they will get freaked out by this stranger coming up and talking to them.

Germany, Deutschland über alles. Bracelet. Something to start with?

Laptop, something there, not sure what. Used every time before class?

No friends. Alone. Could be. Something in common? Both distant? Waving, may not do a thing. I have no advice here. Maybe here saying hi would be better. Simple, not intrusive.

Maaan, speaking to them will be hard. I don't know if I can do it.

I can feel it.

I have never done it. I may have missed out, why should you?

Take it down a notch. You're not going crazy with them yet - too fast. You are just going to talk. Find out, expand observations.

Though if like me your head will have knocking and pounding. Heart, attacking. Really? How to go anywhere with that? Me forget it. You, hope you won't.

I am not trying to force or persuade you to do this. If I have, forgive me. I think you have to want to do it first. Set aside SA or AvPD, want it, or not, truthfully.

IamThisOne

I can feel it.

I have never done it. I may have missed out, why should you?

Take it down a notch. You're not going crazy with them yet - too fast. You are just going to talk. Find out, expand observations.

Though if like me your head will have knocking and pounding. Heart, attacking. Really? How to go anywhere with that? Me forget it. You, hope you won't.

I am not trying to force or persuade you to do this. If I have, forgive me. I think you have to want to do it first. Set aside SA or AvPD, want it, or not, truthfully.

You have given me some encouragement. Thanks. I think I'm going to do a little more research. Then I think I might attempt communication. Besides I've got less than a year left at school. After that, it will be much harder to meet people.

Thanks again.

Feathers

Don't wave!! :) (Until you know someone and you've talked at least once or twice and established some rapport and she knows your name and you hers etc.)

Saying hi is better. And follow up with something very casual, context-related.

It would be easiest to start talking to the girl in Psych class, because you're in the same class. You can just have 'establish contact' as a goal, not needing to become friends or anything. You just want to talk to her.

You could ask about what the T-shirt says or if she's German or ever been in Germany or such (if the bracelet flag is very noticeable, otherwise just talk about the obvious things, or something class-related). Next time you could maybe ask her to go for a cup of tea after class? (Again, this can be very casual, just two classmates drinking tea.. And you can ask her about where she's from or how she finds the course and the teachers etc)
Don't let on you found out a lot by observing, let her tell you..

Art class can be good too - basically these girls know you from classes, so you have some credibility in their eyes.. You can maybe just walk around the class and comment if you like something she did (we did it all the time)
And then when you start talking it gets easier all the time..

The last girl seems the most promising to you - interesting. I'd say complete strangers would be (for me) the most difficult to approach, because they don't have a context for you. Some guys do it with success, especially for 'picking girls up', so who knows? Maybe it could work?

That said, as a girl I would be very happy to know a guy who is friendly and respectful, and maybe with a bit of humor!
Even if any of them might have a bf somewhere, they may still be happy to meet new friends! (Or if not, at least you tried and got a new acquaintance... Maybe she can fix you up with any of her single friends or cousins?)

Many of us girls also fret about our pale skin, so it's cool to know some guys find it attractive! :)

I'd stay away from soda in your place, it can make you miserable!! (phosphoric acid reduces amount of magnesium and this can cause depression and anxiety and such. I know it's addictive though.) Good luck!!

Don't wave!! :) (Until you know someone and you've talked at least once or twice and established some rapport and she knows your name and you hers etc.)

Saying hi is better. And follow up with something very casual, context-related.

It would be easiest to start talking to the girl in Psych class, because you're in the same class. You can just have 'establish contact' as a goal, not needing to become friends or anything. You just want to talk to her.

You could ask about what the T-shirt says or if she's German or ever been in Germany or such (if the bracelet flag is very noticeable, otherwise just talk about the obvious things, or something class-related). Next time you could maybe ask her to go for a cup of tea after class? (Again, this can be very casual, just two classmates drinking tea.. And you can ask her about where she's from or how she finds the course and the teachers etc)
Don't let on you found out a lot by observing, let her tell you..

Art class can be good too - basically these girls know you from classes, so you have some credibility in their eyes.. You can maybe just walk around the class and comment if you like something she did (we did it all the time)
And then when you start talking it gets easier all the time..

The last girl seems the most promising to you - interesting. I'd say complete strangers would be (for me) the most difficult to approach, because they don't have a context for you. Some guys do it with success, especially for 'picking girls up', so who knows? Maybe it could work?

That said, as a girl I would be very happy to know a guy who is friendly and respectful, and maybe with a bit of humor!
Even if any of them might have a bf somewhere, they may still be happy to meet new friends! (Or if not, at least you tried and got a new acquaintance... Maybe she can fix you up with any of her single friends or cousins?)

Many of us girls also fret about our pale skin, so it's cool to know some guys find it attractive! :)

I'd stay away from soda in your place, it can make you miserable!! (phosphoric acid reduces amount of magnesium and this can cause depression and anxiety and such. I know it's addictive though.) Good luck!!

Well done. Nicely put together. Better explained than I could do. I was becoming slightly worried that the only one offering advice has never attempted what is trying to be attempted. Wrong advice given could have been.

I don't do the soda thing either. No coke, no thing.

HeadFace

Well, it'd be more friendly than creepy to go up to the girl sitting alone in the corner. Most girls would think it's cute. But just try and find something to talk about... Maybe ask her why you always see her alone? Being shy or having SA, I would think it'd be quite nice.

IamThisOne

Well, I had the chance to talk to the girl in the cafeteria today, but alas I got too scared and didn't. I'm going to try again Thursday. I've been thinking of things to talk about and I have that pretty much taken care of. I just hope she doesn't get turned off by my being nervous since there is really nothing I can do about that.

I did find out a little more about her, though. I found out where she goes after lunch and what county she lives in. She also commutes to class and I found out what kind of car she drives. I just hope she didn't notice me following her around.

HeadFace

Do you just notice this stuff? Or do you actually... Follow them around?
Because, I know how it is to be obsevant like you. When I try to talk about it I get "stalker", "creeper", "creepy" - that kind of thing - all thrown at me. But I don't actually stalk anyone like that. I just look around, and see what I see. And think about it all.

Anyway. Don't "try" to go up and talk to her. Do it. And trust me, don't keep putting it off. Don't try to think of excuses. If you do that, it will never happen. Trust me, I know how it is.

IamThisOne

Well, I observe, but I wanted to see where she went after lunch, so I watched to see where she went. It's not like I do it on a daily basis though. I just want to try to get plenty of information about the person before I attempt contact. For instance, if I found out she went to meet her boyfriend after lunch then I would probably be wasting my time.

I mean, don't you need to do good research before you conduct an experiment.

I AM NOT A STALKER! I ONLY DID IT THIS ONE TIME!

I also want to say that I am aware that my results are based on observation and that does not make my ideas about these girls true.

So what do you guys think?

Okay, I was glad to read this last sentence of your post, because I was becoming worried based on what you were saying that you may be setting yourself up for disappointment when you actually meet these girls and your "idea" of them is tested. I think it's good to make basic observations, that helps you prepare to meet these girls, but you can't assume that your conclusions based on limited observation in a school environment are really going to accurate. Some of them might be though, who knows

I don't mean to be debbie downer...I guess I can relate though. I just remember when I was starting college and making friends, I had a bad pattern of choosing a person and thinking I had them all figured out based on one conversation where we really hit it off. i would get really excited and think, "We're gonna be best friends, yippee!!" And then a week later, after getting to know more about them and reallly spending time around them, I would suddenly realize that they weren't the people I had pegged them to be. And then I would be SUPER disappointed, you know.

I guess my point is that it's better to meet a person and talk with them sooner than later, before you build an entire picture of them and their personality.

If you haven't already, just go up to these girls and make small talk (I know, easier said than done right?) It can be something so simple though, like asking about an assignment or joking about the professor or something. And don't stress out if you feel like a dork, it happens to the best of us!! Just jump in there and get it over with. And good luck.