Possible obsession with rape?

Mactans82

I don't want to go into detail, I just want to say that part of this is a strong fear of rape scenes in movies and tv shows, as well as (as strange as it sounds) a feeling that I need to watch them. I can't watch them with other people because they terrify me and I just end up running out of the room or reacting in a strong and very embarrassing way. However, there are times when I'm alone at night or something that I think about how ridiculous it is to have such strong reactions to something in a movie that isn't really happening and I try to find rape scenes online and watch them, but they scare me so it takes a long time to watch one, and then I go to bed and have night mares and can't sleep. It's exhausting. I want to know if there's something I can do to change this. Should I try to keep watching rape scenes until they don't bother me as much anymore? Like exposure therapy or something? Should I try to watch them with other people and try to stop myself from reacting strongly? But then again I don't know why I react so strongly and I'm not sure how to stop it, it's just a reaction and it's hard to control. What should I do? What should I not do? I don't even know if this is really an obsession because it doesn't happen all the time and it isn't taking up a huge part of my life, but there are times when it gets in my head for an extended period of time and it keeps me up at night and it's exhausting. It goes away, but it always comes back at some point.

LadyWench

Gosh, I wish I had the answers. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I can only imagine how scary and irritating it must be. I have my own obsessions and fears, so on that level, I can relate to you.

I agree with Serafina, maybe try talking to a professional and see what their opinion is. Perhaps they can help you more than people on a website. I'm sure they will know whether it's best to watch these rape scenes to try and get over the fears and obsessions, or to just try and control yourself and not watch them at all. I really don't know which would work better. Especially since everybody reacts to treatment differently.

If it makes you feel any better at all, I sometimes get these fears that I could or have been raped in my sleep. I know it isn't logical, but the thought still scares me.

3times

I don't really know what to tell you because I go through the same thing. Put mine is with domestic violence as well. Its as if I HAVE to watch it. But its disturbing.

wow thats a strange problem but not uncommon so it seems, my best advice is not to watch it and seek some help to find out what is causing such upset.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I don't think desensitisation is a good way of approaching a fear like this. Rape is a horrible thing. You can't really become desensitised to it... and if you do, that's not necessarily a good thing.
I cannot stand traumatic scenes, like rape.
Perhaps you could try to pinpoint the originating source of your fear, and why it affects you more than you would like it to?