Pit Bulls

hippiechild

I'm glad that you resolved that so cleanly and without unnecessary conflict, but what happened to the dog? Do your neighbors have a dead dog now? How are they dealing with the removal of the dog?

I can't believe that I wrote this.
Avoiding this kind of conflict isn't a good thing. I think that you should have given the neighbor a fair warning before going this far. Maybe they would agree to better contain their dog. All the neighbor knows now is that someone in the neighborhood ordered their dog to be taken away. I hope that this doesn't lead to more serious conflicts for you later on.

WeirdGirl

Yes all dog owners claim that their little pooch would never harm a flee. Dogs don't have the ability to reson or employ compassion. Some of them are very strong and have the potential to do allot of harm.

Lea

Banned
I don´t like when some dangerously looking dog is running around and the owners say he doesn´t do anything - it can never be certain! Sometimes the dog owners can be quite bastards. I once met a man with dog on a walking trail, the dog was running to me, barking very aggresively, following me and it seemed like he would jump at me in no time and bite, I was terrified and didn´t know what to do. The owner didn´t even call him, he was walking very slowly and smiling, seemed he rather enjoyed the situation. When I was finally away, I was so angry at the idiot!!

If the dog was vaccinated and licensed properly then why did they fine the owner $400?

Why is everyone jumping on sabbath for just reporting it? It was up to the Animal Control to determine if it was dangerous, and apparently they thought it was. Plus it might not have been the only report, especially if there are parents of little kids nearby.

Anyway, if the dog comes back and keeps barking, just throw it some snacks. Maybe it'll learn to be quiet when it sees you. I think it's really rude of people to have loud barking dogs right next to someone else's house. It's probably also not good for the dogs - they're probably hyped up all day, thinking people are constantly invading their territory.

[sheesh, i sound kinda hostile - sorry. i've had to deal with loud dogs like that before and it really bothered me]

Last edited:

JA2007

My dad owned and raised 2 boxers from puppies to their death. He was serious about training them to be protective, but never to be aggressive. There is a difference. Ours could run around an unfenced yard and never bother a single person walking down the street. My dad taught them what kind of human behaviors were necessary for an aggressive response (i.e. grabbing one of us kids). Boxers are extremely intelligent breeds and are capable of behaving. Our boxers never acted out the way you describe the one in your neighborhood did, so I would say they did not have the proper training for their kind and needed to be investigated. I don't think animal control would put the dog to sleep unless it found reason to. I know people in my town who have gotten fined then gotten their animals back as long as they met certain preconditions. Maybe the dog is being held until they get the fence secured or something.

Joolin

Couldn't you have, oh I don't know, talked to the owner perhaps? I'm having a hard time justifying such drastic measures in my mind for something that was nothing more than an annoyance, what with it being fenced in and all. You say the pen is mightier than the sword, but if you really believed that, the first course of action would have been to call your neighbor and discuss the situation. Having the dog taken away and giving the owner a $400 fine should have been the absolute last resort.

To put it in perspective, what would you have done if your neighbor instead had an annoying, loudmouth kid who played bad music too loud and set off firecrackers in the yard. Would you still have considered guns and mace? I'm guessing not, when in reality, a really nasty kid is more dangerous than a chained up dog, no matter how loud its bark. I'm not suggesting that it's okay to shoot or mace kids, but I don't think it's fair to shoot or mace dogs either.

Also, I agree with Pink Glitter - one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met was a pit bull. It's all about how they're raised - if you're a dick to a pit bull while it's growing up, it will be angry and vicious. If you treat it like you should treat a dog, it will grow up to be just like any other dog.

Last edited:
Yes all dog owners claim that their little pooch would never harm a flee. Dogs don't have the ability to reson or employ compassion. Some of them are very strong and have the potential to do allot of harm.

Oh please, have you ever owned a dog? A dog could not practice impulse control (commands such as "leave it", "Stop" and "stay") if it had no ability to reason. They wouldn't rush to your side when you're screaming or put their head in your lap when you're crying if they weren't able to be compassionate. Just because something has the potential to do harm, doesn't mean you treat it as if it has already done so. "Bark" is a lot different than bite. In fact, dominant aggressive dogs don't usually give a warning bark.

TheNewZero

In fact, dominant aggressive dogs don't usually give a warning bark.

Good point! The most dangerous dogs are the ones that don't bark at all. If this dog was barking in his backyard, it was just defending its territory. Yes, it's annoying and the owners should have trained him better but that doesn't make him aggressive.

SilentType

Banned
The animal control people wouldn't have taken the dog if there wasn't a real problem. They don't just take dogs away because people one person says the dog is a nuisance. Animal control officers get into that line of work because they love animals. Their job is to do what's best for the animals, not kill every animal someone reports as a nuisance.

You people are ridiculous for jumping on sabbath like this... All he wanted was some peace. There was obviously a reason for taking the dog other than a simple email.

Peace

Last edited:

Danfalc

Banned
All he wanted was some peace.There was obviously a reason for taking the dog other than a simple email.

Yeah and that makes it right to talk about shooting it :rolleyes: pepper spray,yeah what a dog lover.Yeah also saying it was a pit bull when it wasnt hmm yeah...what a dog expert.Two wrongs dont make a right.

I can relate to someone wanting some peace i just dont think its fair to try and then place the blame on the dog,when it was just being a dog and omg daring to bark.

SilentType

Banned
The blame wasn't necessarily on the dog. The owner of the dog obviously allowed it to get out of control and cause problems in the neighborhood.

And to repeat from my above post... There had to be a reason for them to take the dog away. Whether it didn't have a license, wasn't vaccinated, who knows... The point is that all sabbath did was email authorities. They are the ones who made the decision on what to do about the dog, and they obviously had reason to remove it. Animal control doesn't take a dog away for barking...

Peace

I agree with those who said it should have been a last resort. If you were scared to speak to the owner due to social anxiety, you should have left it alone. "Emailing the authorities" is just being a tattle tale. Being proud of yourself for aiding in the death of an animal is disgusting. Animal control is not the ASPCA. They don't rehome dogs when they take them away.

SilentType

Banned
I understand where you're coming from, but people must realize there are laws when it comes to having dogs. You can't just let them bark at people in your yard all day long, especially if the dog isn't licensed or not vaccinated. Someone is eventually going to get fed up and call the authorities. If you're responsible and train your dog properly, then you won't have any problems. It's all about being a responsible pet owner. These people that owned the dog were obviously irresponsible.

DOGS DON'T GET REMOVED FROM THEIR OWNER FOR SIMPLY BARKING!

Peace

Danfalc

Banned

No they dont but all i think some people are trying to say is...he could of maybe handled it different.Sure they dont get taken away for just barking but it could of been somthing equaly as petty which doesnt really mean the dog deserved to be took away and destroyed.Ps theres no reason to use caps to make your point,we can read small print ;) it comes across aggresive.And again i could repeat what ive said in my previous post but i wont because were all just going round in circles here and its getting a bit silly :)

JA2007

I understand where you're coming from, but people must realize there are laws when it comes to having dogs. You can't just let them bark at people in your yard all day long, especially if the dog isn't licensed or not vaccinated. Someone is eventually going to get fed up and call the authorities. If you're responsible and train your dog properly, then you won't have any problems. It's all about being a responsible pet owner. These people that owned the dog were obviously irresponsible.

Peace

I agree with you, Silent Type. I've had close encounters with aggressive dogs more than once when I was just walking down the neighborhood streets trying to get some exercise. I love dogs, and if they are nice, I love it when they come up to me so I can pet them. But it is not okay for me to be scared to walk on the sidewalks in my own neighborhood because some people haven't properly trained or restrained their dogs.

TheNewZero

I understand where you're coming from, but people must realize there are laws when it comes to having dogs. You can't just let them bark at people in your yard all day long, especially if the dog isn't licensed or not vaccinated.

How many people actually take the time to train their dog right? In my neighborhood, the majority of the dogs are out in their yards almost 24/7. And they all bark. I used to be a petsitter and none of the dogs I walked were trained properly. All of them barked at strangers, whether they were in the house or not, and none of them were trained to walk on the lead. Would this person have reacted differently if the dog were a golden or a lab? Probably. But because he thought it was a pitbull and that it looked scary, he immediately assumed it was an aggressive dog.

SilentType

Banned
theres no reason to use caps to make your point,we can read small print it comes across aggresive.And again i could repeat what ive said in my previous post but i wont because were all just going round in circles here and its getting a bit silly

I agree that I shouldn't have to use caps, but nobody seems to understand my repeated attempts to point out that something had to be illegal about the dog's tags, vaccinations, etc. for it to be taken away...

How many people actually take the time to train their dog right?

Any dog owner should take the time to train their dog within reason. If they don't, it's their own fault if authorities are called because their dog is disturbing people in the neighborhood. Just because people in your neighborhood have a bunch of untrained dogs doesn't make it disturb people.

I actually took care of a pitbull for a couple of years, and he was the sweetest dog I've ever had the opportunity to be around. He would wag his tail and wait patiently to meet you rather than bark if he saw you in my yard. There's no excuse for having an untrained animal running around your yard disturbing neighbors.

Peace

Irresponsible owner or not, it's still the dog who has to pay. It's just not right that dogs are punished for being dogs, no matter who makes the decision. The same laws apply to small dogs like min pins and dauchsies yet nobody seems to report them for being aggressive and barkaholics (which they undoubtedly can be). There are also laws regarding cats, who spread rabies much faster than dogs and can be just as harmful, especially considering that they are able to carry and transfer much higher concentrations of harmful bacteria than dogs are. Why is it then that nobody seems to report them? Smaller teeth?

It's all discrimination based on fear and I just get sick of the big dogs, especially certain breeds, having to take so much more crap than the rest of the dogs. It makes owning them a hassle. In reality they have the same potential of aggression than a smaller breed and yet are prejudged based on size not only by individuals, but the government and insurance companies.

Bigger dogs do NOT have more of a tendency to be aggressive, they are just the ones that are reported the most.

Rodox

Guys I dont think we should be jumping sabbath9 like that,I am pretty sure the animal control people know what they are doing,but I might be wrong I wasnt there,on another note irresponsible owners drive me crazy,if you have a dog you should take all measures to be safe,I used to live in a street where their dogs would roam free on the street and bark at everyone who passed there...

Danfalc

Banned
I agree that I shouldn't have to use caps, but nobody seems to understand my repeated attempts to point out that something had to be illegal about the dog's tags, vaccinations, etc. for it to be taken away...

No we do we just dont agree and automaticaly change our own opinion.Just because it was illegal doesnt make it wrong all the time,thats like me saying its okay for someone to grass you up for smoking or having cannabis because its illegal.So again caps really dont help.

Anyway ive said what i wanted to along time ago,im quite happy to drop the hole thing but its hard when everyone keeps replying.And rodox the dog wasnt being alowed to roam free...it was it a yard it was secure,the problem seems that it was parking.Maybe people shouldnt be jumping on Sabbath,but everyone is entiled to a opinion.And all alot of people are saying is it could of handled better maybe.

Last edited: