Physically cannot socialize.

FlashGit

I haven't been in public in so long, the only places i feel safe are my house and the house of my best friend. If there is more than 3 people in a room, i have to leave, i cant talk to anyone i dont know. I know i should socialize more, the effects of not are becoming apparent. I can't sleep at night, and when i do sleep i have horrible dreams about being beaten or my friends leaving me. I'm forced to lie awake in bed and let my pessimistic mind show me everything i've done worng and what could have been.
But i can't socialize, people frighten me so much. If im at some sort of group event i feel like everyone is gonna hurt me, like everyone is waiting for me to make a wrong move so they can pounce and bite my throat.
How can i force myself to socialize even though it frightens me so much?

WeirdyMcGee

I wrote this exact post 4 years ago-- but I didn't start exposing myself to the outside world because I couldn't find a job and I had no friends; and now I'm stuck in the same place, still.
It gets harder, the longer you let it go on... so the sooner you force yourself to get out, the sooner you will be able to breathe and feel okay again.

So... my suggestion is baby steps.
That's what we're all supposed to be doing.
Make it a daily thing to leave the house.
Always greet the day before noon, shower and get dressed, put your face on and go out- even if it's just for something small.
Talk on the phone with someone; speak, even if you have nothing particular to say.

Once you've gotten out more, it'll get easier to do bigger things like go to shopping malls on a Saturday or go to a theme park for a few hours to go on your favourite rides.
Make a list of things you would like to be able to do and do them.

Eventually, your body will let you do things naturally again.
For now it's a struggle and you might need someone to drag you around just to get it done but it won't always be that way.

One day I hope to be able to leave the house all by myself without crying.

fitftw

Let me ask you this...

Why do you want to socialize? For what purpose do you want to engage with strangers in the exchange of feelings and ideas and whatnot?

See, I just hate going out in public because I observe the way others look at me and I'd rather avoid the opportunity to socialize altogether before they say something negative about me. I haven't shaved or cut my hair in many many months now. Everyone assumes I'm homeless. I don't want to shave or cut my hair just so that everyone will assume I'm "normal." I just hate people for the most part because I think outside the box. Most Americans suck the governments' teat and have no ability to form their own opinions about anything so why bother socializing with them? All I need is my hedgehog and my own brain. Everyone would be better off without knowing me. If I didn't have to go food shopping, or lift weights at the gym, or go to school or work, I would never go anywhere. And I certainly don't go out of my way to make eye contact with anyone who looks like they might want to talk to me.

Last edited:

Feathers

Flash,
Can you join a course or something? Maybe something mini, with not many people?
Or go to cafes, eg literary evenings or low-key events, maybe with the friend? (Or to the park, when not many ppl around?)
What about slowly getting to know more cool people, maybe via the friend or a support group or special interest club or such?

fiftw,
there are many cool ladies who expressed good opinion about you!! And not ALL people just rely on the state/country - if you like those who don't, maybe join an entrepreneurs club or such?