People saying my name

lilmutegirl

I am very uncomfortable with people saying my name, unless they are attempting to get my attention, or introducing me to someone. I know people do this for emphasis sometimes, but I always feel like I am being criticized when my name is said for some reason. I also don't like saying other people's name to them.

nameless

Same here. I feel really uncomfortable addressing people by their names in most situations because I fear they would think I'm making fun of them or criticizing them. I'm also pretty uncomfortable when people say my name, since it just feels awkward to me and I feel like they are judging me because they think my name is weird or making fun of me or whatever. I'm sure I'd feel uncomfortable with this no matter what my name was though.

Scandic123

I don't like people saying my name either, as it brings attention towards me and I have to respond if it's me they're talking to. It's the same even if it's 'just' another person with the same name as me. And I don't like addressing people by their name either, I just feel like it, again, brings too much attention to me for some reason. It's not that I feel criticized or made fun of.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I don't like it because I generally prefer to keep people at arm's length.

When they use my actual name it feels like they're trespassing.

It definitely gets under my skin.

dragons

I actually like it when people say my name––I'm not sure what it is, but I guess I just feel like someone cares about me more if they address me directly. But ironically, I hate addressing other people by name. It takes me a long time to get to know someone enough to call them by name. I can know someone for months and never say their name when talking to them; it's like I have this weird fear of getting their name wrong even when of course I know what their name is.

jaim38

Exactly the same for me too! I have a name that sounds androgynous when pronounced incorrectly. Teachers, especially substitutes, often mistook my name for a guy's name. Some classmates would make fun of me for this. For a long time, I kinda hated my name. I wondered why my parents didn't pick a more feminine name for me such as Caroline, Jennifer, or Ella.

For some reason, I also feel the shivers when people call my name because it reminds me of school when teachers would randomly call on students to answer questions. I always feel the pressure to get the questions right.

Lilly789

wow. I have the same thing. I dont like saying other peoples names, or them saying mine (unless its getting my attention/introducing etc).

I dont know why, it just makes me uncomfortable. Gives me an instant feeling of dislike. Like when someone touches me (no, Ive never been sexually abused, Im just weird :p )

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
For some reason, I also feel the shivers when people call my name because it reminds me of school when teachers would randomly call on students to answer questions. I always feel the pressure to get the questions right.

Aye, ah know that feelin' - were you the "quiet kid" as well? Ah wuz. Always dreaded gettin' called to answer a question in class. Coz ma mind would go blank and am left gan :idontknow: That's probably why ah don't like people sayin' ma name - it draw attention tae me. Also, nuthin' good comes after ma name bein' said. Unless someone's tellin' me somethin' like they're away shoppin'.

But, usually, in most situations, ma name is said disapprovingly after ah've said a deadpan joke that didnae go over well. Or if ah've said hullo tae someone ah don't particularly like, by sayin' that greeting in somewhat dismissive way: "Hi-uh!" (Which is cross between "Hi" and an inaudible, grunted noise)