Panic/anxiety attacks, help please?

sabbath9

Banned
Deep breathing helps. Take a deep breath by expanding your belly. hold that breath for a sec or two, then slowly release, wait a sec or two before inhaling again, repeat a few times. Don't get caught up in your thoughts. Everything is going to be okay.

Morgan01

I think breathing teqniques is good like sabath said.. and have you ever tried taking zanax? it can really help.
and when you feel that way just kind of get yourself out of that situation so it can't escalate any further and then go back when you calm down

Remus

Staff member
My advice is to try avoid taking meds just yet, there are alot of self-help books and leaflets out there, therapy also helps but by the time you get good therapy you usually find you have started to get better yourself anywho.

I first got panic disorder in the early 90's, I thought I was going mad, in the end I had to take a break from working to get my head together. I was put on propanol (useless) and prozac and other various anti-Ds, The one thing I did find that worked for me was a book about panic attacks in my local library. I read it and read it and repeatbly read it, finally it sunk in that panic disorder was all my doing, yeah you can tell yourself its me doing it but really totally realising it is a very different thing.

Maybe take a break from stress things, get yourself together, I dont mean just reclusing as thats the worst thing you can do, but take a break, maybe a camping holiday or a day out somewhere tranquil, try getting out more and walking/exercising. I found these things easy to do and also fun, they help you take steps to not going agorophobic (this is often caused by panic attacks)

handy thread:

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/self-help-leaflets-11831/

Last edited:

lookyloo

I've been where you are now... In a way, I find it hard to believe but I feel like I am 99% cured. I didn'e take any meds (even thow the doctor said I really needed them). I just did a lot of research on anxiety attacks and what really causes the symptoms.
First of all, you should know, and all the books out there will tell you this, is that you wcan never die or truely get hurt by having a panic attack. Panic attacks are caused by you over breathing (breathing too fast).
Second, if you really want to get better, you need to expose yourself to what is making you fearful. Try to stay in the situation but tell yourself that you can leave if you feel like you need too.
Third, whenever you finish with an uncomfortable situation, look at it and remind yourself that nothing really happened... you're still alive and breathing... and well.

Hope this helps. Trust me, face you're fear if you want to get better...

Ashiene

every day is also a huge struggle for me. i wonder how i haven't gone crazy yet with all this stress.

madmike

Think about 3 things you love, and focus on those things for a while. This might calm you down, and when you're calm you can think about your work and college with a clear and open mind. Good luck, i know how it feels, i had a presentation two weeks ago in front of the whole class, but staying calm with this technique got me through it :)