Owl Rescue (in progress)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
So yesterday evening my step-dad found a small owl in a water trough. It was soaking wet and it couldn't get back out. I watched over it overnight and tried to feed it some meat, which it accepted into its beak but wouldn't swallow. At least it knew I was trying to feed it, not eat it.

This morning I relocated him to the grain room, set out a bowl with some water and another with a raw egg in it (not sure of his age yet, but he's past the downy-feather stage). I was going to get some gloves and try to check for injury, but he surprised me by flying quite expertly about the room.

A bit of googling makes me think that he's a Whiskered Screech Owl.

Whiskered Screech Owl - Megascops trichopsis - Information, Pictures, Sounds

Here he is still wet and miserable:

youngwetowl.jpg

And here he is this morning, clearly feeling much better:

youngowlgrainroom2.jpg

youngowlgrainroom1.jpg

I'm hoping that he was just being young and foolish to get himself stuck in the trough. He doesn't seem to be sick or injured this morning, but I still plan to talk to a professional before I let him go.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I just got off the phone with a lovely person at Last Chance Forever - Home .

She confirmed that it definitely sounds like a whiskered screech owl, and also that he was probably just being young and stupid. She said that he sounds like a juvenile, so he's still dependent on his parents. In a bit, I'm going to try releasing him near the water tank where he was found. And I hope he doesn't just go and get himself stuck again.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Slight problem. I'm happy that he seems all healthy and energetic this morning, but I've discovered that catching a healthy and energetic young flying creature is remarkably difficult. o_o

I have a fine-mesh fishing net (fine so as not to tangle his feathers and stuff; less chance of injury) and I caught him in it once but I was trying so hard to be gentle that he got out before I could get him back in the box.

Currently he's hiding behind a 5' stack of 50 pound feed bags. Hopefully he will come back out to where I can reach him if I leave him alone a while.

mrb

just mince up some meat leave it near to him and try and catch him in a bit mate , iv rescued loads of birds and taken them to the wild bird centre ...... and yea none of them are easy to catch , some want to chew your fingers off when you pick them up lol .....

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Well I thank everyone for the sweet words, but it's no big deal and really, what else could I do?

I take a light cloth, throw it over them so that they won't freak out then I lightly pick them up and put them back in/on their cage.
A cloth! That's a good idea. If I can get him out of hiding I'll try that. I fear he may have gotten himself stuck though. Ah, foolish youth. ::p:

just mince up some meat leave it near to him and try and catch him in a bit mate , iv rescued loads of birds and taken them to the wild bird centre ...... and yea none of them are easy to catch , some want to chew your fingers off when you pick them up lol .....
He doesn't seem to be taking meat yet, and I think he might be too scared to go for a lure. Since he's still dependent on his parents he's probably used to being fed directly anyway.

mrb

huh dont you have a giant owl costume over there :confused:you must be the only person on the planet without a giant owl costume in there house :confused: just borrow next doors put it on and pretend your its mummy and feed it, jezzzzzzz :rolleyes: do i have to tell you evreything :cool:

Ha, he wants to be your pet. :p And he's adoooooooooorable! I keep having to hold myself back from petting the screen. >.>

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
He's free now. :)

It took a little work, and moving a lot of heavy things around in the grain room, but eventually i trapped him with the net and was able to reach in with my (heavily gloved) hand and grab him. He didn't fight me once I had him trapped, nor did he cling or try to bite. I'm glad--I know how sharp that little beak is, and how strong those claws are.

I wanted to take pics of setting him free but my batteries died. He flew beautifully right into a thicket of brush and landed, and instantly he was indistinguishable from the landscape if you didn't know exactly where and what to look for.

I hope he hooks back up with his parents okay. They said it's best to reunite them within 24-48 hours to avoid problems. This was maybe 20 hours so I'm pretty confident.

:)

mrb

i love a happy ending :) the jelly fish that saved the baby owl :) hmmmm that sounds like a kids story book ..... maybe ill put my thinking cap on a write a story about it for kids , id make a fortune :)

Tiercel

Congrats on a job well done, Nate. I'm glad he was just wet and not injured. And if he (?) really was a whiskered screech owl, you're even luckier. :D

Huh? I say that for several reasons. First, I don't know exactly where on Cygnus X-1 you're located. Second, according to range maps online, whiskered screech owls don't live on Cygnus X-1. Third, and most importantly, I live in an area where I only have one species of small owl to deal with. And considering the slight variations between the Eastern, Western, and whiskered screech owls, I'm glad. And that kind of plumage is why I typically steer away from nightjars, owls, sandpipers, and fall warblers.

No matter which bland little owl it was, I'm glad you gave him a night in a safe place to dry off.

Just in case he comes back, you should practice regurgitating field mice.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

:D

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Huh? I say that for several reasons. First, I don't know exactly where on Cygnus X-1 you're located. Second, according to range maps online, whiskered screech owls don't live on Cygnus X-1.
You, sir, have clearly underestimated the range (and warp drive capabilities) of the whiskered screech owl.

hippiechild

This is the greatest undertaking I've had the pleasure of hearing about in ages...
thank heavens for you and your step-dad's kindliness! Just think of how happy the mommy and daddy owls must be to see their little sweetheart safe and sound :D

Lets hope that the little fella took something away from this experience!