Overanalysing

dark_horse

This may be my biggest problem. Especially when it comes to the opposite sex. Breaking every smile, conversation or gesture down to the smallest possible bits. I keep doing it although I know the result is always the same - inconclusive.

Why do I keep doing it? Is it because SAD keep me focusing inward because I don't have the ability to get outside opinions? It drives me up the walls! Especially when I later (always too late) find out that there was a real possibility for a relationship.

Is this normal (I mean normal for people suffering from SAD)? And how do you stop your mind from running away from you?

Nack

Banned
You need experience.
You need control.
When the time comes,
you will see it.

Take the chance,
become numb
you will see it.

The truth to the world,
the truth to the universe,
until that day,
keep on training,
you'll see it...

Lorraine Manca

your post reminds me of a song by the cranberries. it goes something like "dont analyze, dont go that way, dont be that way. that will paralyze your evolution". Its stuck in my head now!
there's always the old trick where you put a rubber band around your wrist, and snap it against your skin everytime you start obsessing over something. anyone ever heard of that before? does it work?

Enialis227

Like I was saying in some other thread, I still do this even though my medication takes away almost all of my anxiety.
I am honestly starting to believe that my brain is either wired to over-analyse like that, or years of social phobia have beaten this habit into my mental processes.

In my personal opinion I think it is "normal" for SA sufferers to over analyse things; even more so around the opposit sex. I would think that over analysing every little detail would go hand in hand with SA.
Unfortunately, i haven't yet figured out how to stop it either, it's like a well worn track.

Phil_i

I'd say that's pretty normal.
SAD normal that is, although i guess that's an oxymoron...

Darker Than Black

I just tell myself to STOP IT, and now I'm well on my way, after a convo ends, I don't care what happened..kinda of, at least it is a LOT less over analyzing than a few years ago

Enialis227

One of the things to keep in mind is that most other people do not over-analyse like you do, so mistakes you think you made, or things you remember in general, will probably never be thought of again by the other person. For better or worse.

dark_horse

Isn't it ironic?

Overanalysing a post on overanalysing?

Changing those tracks laid over so many years is not easy. It remains my resposibility to guard my thoughts and STOP myself before finishing an overanalysing thought.

To all of you with the same problem: Good luck!

Be the gardener of your thoughts. Don't allow weeds to settle in your garden...

Juliegoolie

Enialis is right. you and i and most of us on here have to remember that we are all human and we all make mistakes. i often mess up what i'm talking about. just practice getting past these little things that seem bigger than they are.

This may be my biggest problem. Especially when it comes to the opposite sex. Breaking every smile, conversation or gesture down to the smallest possible bits. I keep doing it although I know the result is always the same - inconclusive.

Why do I keep doing it? Is it because SAD keep me focusing inward because I don't have the ability to get outside opinions? It drives me up the walls! Especially when I later (always too late) find out that there was a real possibility for a relationship.

Is this normal (I mean normal for people suffering from SAD)? And how do you stop your mind from running away from you?

Because the underlying problem of Social Anxiety is a two-axis neurological condition: obsessiveness and anxiety. This has nothing to do with your attitudes or beliefs, your attitudes and beliefs are instead largely affected by this condition. Just remind yourself that it's a dysfunctional neurological condition or tendency which is generating an psychiatric anxiety disorder (social phobia), and that it IS PART OF THE PROBLEM. Force yourself as much as possible to focus on other things. Remember that rigid and distorted thinking is a fundamental prerequisite of social anxiety disorder, and your SA won't get better until your distortions diminish.