Outside In

Kathryn.fr

So, as most of you know I've been staying at a youth shelter mainly for LGBT homeless youth. I've warmed up to most of the kids there but my behavior in social settings is still, a bit off. I still shut down hard until a counsilor pretty much holds my hand and introduces me to people. I haven't gotten a therapist or my own case worker yet because it's a continuem or whatever and I was referred to the other youth shelter, working on getting transferred sense this one has the trans clinic. No one really talks to me because I always look shut down some do though. I started going to this group called Geurilla Theatre I think, they do improv acting and see plays and stuff last night I really warmed up to people and started playing a card game with them all, counsilors were pretty suprised at that. Normally I don't participate in much. Today we have Queer Zone which starts at 6pm and we have to go to the other building where kids are mostly Juvi kids, they throw stuff at us sometimes. Say mean things. I just call them the street kids lol. We watch Glee every Weds I think, met this cool boy he's new too but very sweet he was the first to come talk to me now we always kind of talk. Was thinking about asking him to get coffee but like me, he's probably broke also lol. Getting into Shelter is horrible, I haven't gotten in for 4 nights because they only have 30 beds, half girls room, and half in the boys room. I can choose either but they know I identify as female. We have to be 2 blocks away and they watch for us, and at 845 they buzz us in, singley but some kids crouch down in the bushes or something and right at 845 like 30 of them come running from the bushes and it fills in up 2-5 minutes. Winter is brutal. They're looking for a bigger place now though that they can put kids, mostly girls sense there's more homeless girls here than boys. It's not terrible, but it's better than what the situation could be. I'm still loking fr a job, I put in at least 1-2 applications a day sense I usually do other stuff as well, once I get a job though I can move up to the pods and basically that's IN the outside in building and rents only like 100$ a month, and you help with chores and stuff, clean up your own mess, cerfews 2am. I think I'm making improvements though I can't wait to get a therapist and work on some issues though. :)

Nathália

I am really Happy to hear back from you. I wish you the best. Glad to hear about your interaction you've had with others. Crossing my fingers for your job so you can have a nice place to stay. Kathryn I hope everything goes dandy. Stay warm and keep pushing. :D

davidburke

good to hear that things are starting to look up for you Kathryn, even though its difficult you seem to be keeping positive that helps. things can only get better when you get the help you need!