Online SA Meetup Group

Momir

I'm interested in creating a mastermind group that can meet weekly to help each other work through things. My goal would be to have all of us share resources about different forms of coping like CBT and ACT and whatever, while talking through problems we've had over the week and getting things off our chest. Something akin to a smaller, but still organized, normal group meetup. We'd probably meet up in IRC - I'd set up a free room ahead of time and show you how to connect through your browser, if need be.

Would anyone be interested in this, or have any ideas to share about resources that everyone could use?

Momir

I'm glad people seem interested in it. Before I set it up, are there any books or resources we should consider practicing from? I know a bit about using mindfulness meditation to help, but I'm also looking for CBT material to read and practice with.

dyingtolive

Goodluck on the group.. :) I would be interested to come if t he time set matches my free time.

How about webcam socializing training sessions Lol sounds scary

starburst

I'd be interested in this. I might need help with IRC though. I actually have a good CBT book that could hopefully help others. There's a lot of decent information in it, and it's also full of work exercises you can do. CBT is best done along with the homework component. If anyone would be interested I could scan these exercises and email them to who ever wants them in the group. They can print them out and do them whenever they like and we could even come together in IRC to compare notes. All the info that leads up to the actual work exercises can easily be found online so people can read up on topics before doing the exercises.

Momir

What's the name of it, starburst? Having a routine to work through would be nice, and I'd like to learn more about CBT.

mikebird

Banned
Yep!

The haunting bit is the pop-up advert the comes up between our posts here! Do you have it? It's tailored to my location.

Don't know the meaning of CBT. Therapy? It's suggested in this advert, in a nearby town. I like it

Online is good! Let's Skype it! The nearby CBT suggests moped training. I used to enjoy my delivery job

Last edited:

starburst

The book is titled Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman. I'm pretty sure it can be purchased online, but I picked my copy up at my local Borders. The author has also created several relaxation CDs as well. I think Change Your Thinking is an excellent book. I know it definitely helped me to modify my negative and intrusive thoughts.

CBT may not be of help to everyone at first, but I think it's often necessary to attempt this therapy style several times. This is something to keep in mind. Many people give up on it before they have allowed for it to really sink in or be properly understood. This is the best book I have read regarding CBT. Like I touched on earlier, the book is full of exercises. These are scattered throughout every chapter. Also, the book lists 5 whole pages of other self-help books as recommended reading. They cover topics like depression, anxiety, anger, OCD, panic attacks, self-esteem, trauma, social phobia etc. I have read a few of the books recommended and I found them to be good resources also.

Momir, if you like I can email you some sample pages. No dramas if you don't take me up on this offer though. For anyone else reading this post who might like some sample pages, please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll shoot them through to your email.

Another thing, I think combining other therapies like Mindful Therapy or Exposure Therapy while also doing CBT can really be beneficial.

Momir

Yep!

The haunting bit is the pop-up advert the comes up between our posts here! Do you have it? It's tailored to my location.

Don't know the meaning of CBT. Therapy? It's suggested in this advert, in a nearby town. I like it

Online is good! Let's Skype it! The nearby CBT suggests moped training. I used to enjoy my delivery job

I'd rather not Skype it, personally. And CBT is cognitive behavior therapy. It's basically addressing your thoughts and practicing skills to help out.

The book is titled Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman. I'm pretty sure it can be purchased online, but I picked my copy up at my local Borders. The author has also created several relaxation CDs as well. I think Change Your Thinking is an excellent book. I know it definitely helped me to modify my negative and intrusive thoughts.

CBT may not be of help to everyone at first, but I think it's often necessary to attempt this therapy style several times. This is something to keep in mind. Many people give up on it before they have allowed for it to really sink in or be properly understood. This is the best book I have read regarding CBT. Like I touched on earlier, the book is full of exercises. These are scattered throughout every chapter. Also, the book lists 5 whole pages of other self-help books as recommended reading. They cover topics like depression, anxiety, anger, OCD, panic attacks, self-esteem, trauma, social phobia etc. I have read a few of the books recommended and I found them to be good resources also.

Momir, if you like I can email you some sample pages. No dramas if you don't take me up on this offer though. For anyone else reading this post who might like some sample pages, please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll shoot them through to your email.

Another thing, I think combining other therapies like Mindful Therapy or Exposure Therapy while also doing CBT can really be beneficial.

Sounds like a neat book, starburst. I've started to practice on my own which CBT probably advocates, though I'm combining it with ACT techniques I've learned. You should bring it in so everyone can benefit from it.

I'll post again once I've got a room set up...I haven't used IRC like this in a bit, so I'll have to fiddle with it.

lostwonderland

I would love to join. I have a few social anxiety books, one CBT book, and a couple of generalized anxiety workbooks.
I would need to get familiar with IRC, but that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm looking forward to it :)

Blandy

Yh would be a really good idea, ive been looking recently for Groups for SA near where i live, but most of the support groups are for drug addiction etc. :(

1BlackSheep

I think it would be fun to do a Skype-type chat without the video part. Then we could hear each other's accents while learning new things! :)