one comment which has affected your confidence

recluse

What's one thing in your lifetime that someone told you that has affected your confidence?

A girl i had to share a work space with in college told me i was no fun to be with and that i had no clue how to talk to people. This was ten years ago yet i still have this going through my mind, and i am constantly worried about how people see me. It seems to bother me a lot that i think that people see me as boring becasue i have a hard time maintaining conversation.

Pretender

A teacher once said that i look very "sneaky/unreliable" not sure how to say it in english...
but anyway i'll probably never forget about that :roll: :(

bleach

Banned
One girl I talked to a few times said I "have a great personality" and am "very handsome". I don't know why she was so nice to me! It makes me feel good to think about it though.

livingnsilence

negative comments don't usually affect my confidence b/c I already believe they think the things that the confirm are true and I usually think a lot worse so my confidence is already ruined by what I think. One of the comments that hasn't affected my confidence but still hurt a little is once someone, jokingly said "you start laughing out of no where, you're probably one of those kids who is planning about taking over the world one day or is planning to go on a shootiing spree at school and thinking of your plans makes you laugh"

There is one comment that helped my confidence for a couple days. I was at work and there was a girl about 7 or 8 years old that I was helping and out of no where, completely unprovoked she said "you're really pretty, I want to look like you when I grow up" and since it seemed completely sincere and little kids are know for being brutally honest when it comes to things like that I actually felt for a little bit that I might actually be pretty.

slicenrice

if someone says to you that you are ugly then it is a blow to the self confidence, especially if you have social anxiety.

4seasons

slicenrice said:
if someone says to you that you are ugly then it is a blow to the self confidence, especially if you have social anxiety.
Did I say it wasn't? That wasn't my point at all.

slicenrice

heres mine, from tonight!

"you suck at life"

from a friend. after i told him a lot of my problems. i know he will never quite understand but still, it hurts.

w*n*c*a*m

Wow! Don't feel so bad everyone... I think I'm the worst in here.... I got a lot of negative comments in highschool that I can't remember those things anymore... It's like a defense mechanism.... that those comments might have been too painful for me that all of those things were purposely shut off by my brain and buried in my subconcious. But everytime I'm in a stressful situation, some of those comments just comes back in my mind all of a sudden and then fades again. Maybe that's why I learned how to be numb to some negative comments that I still hear from people, it's because I was used to it. :roll:

Zarrix

I think the worst response of all is simply no response. When you ask a question to someone in class or at work and they don't even reply or reply meaningfully with no real reason. Makes you think you aren't worth the time of day and thats just shattering.

Raveno

yeah I've gotten 'your ugly' thing alot throughout my life, reason being I am ugly, I got a cleft palate, and like half part of my face is blunted/flat inward a bit, so its like a two face..

so i've never had much of a self-esteem. but I gotta play the cards god delt me with

Kien

Raveno said:
yeah I've gotten 'your ugly' thing alot throughout my life, reason being I am ugly, I got a cleft palate, and like half part of my face is blunted/flat inward a bit, so its like a two face..

so i've never had much of a self-esteem. but I gotta play the cards god delt me with
:{