Obsession with becoming more primal

EscapeArtist

The one thing I want in life, if anything, is to live more primitively, and with nature. Out, open land, none, or little, people, hard labour that keeps busy, focusing on our most primal instinct; to survive, no time for anxiety, no expectations of society, bye dirty greed and sick and sad individuals, no TIME for sadness, amazement found in the most simple of tasks, just survive and live in the now with the earth, finally awake.

Share this? I had a wierd feeling this would be a common trend among us. I never thought this part of me was related to my social anxiety... I kind of hope it isn't, because i'm scared it would change this dream (despite that I know it won't)

dottie

yes, modern day lifestyle and social pressures imposed are absolutely unnatural and anxiety inducing. we are animals, hunters, gatherers, not gods. there are benefits of modern day lifestyle, of course, like high tech medicine, showers, toilet paper, a soft bed, and taco bell.

wouldn't you miss taco bell?

Most likely related to your SA. If you wanna live like that go ahead. Its not as easy as you think. I think the only reason you think this way is based on just wanting to avoid people/life.

Luke1993

Hmm I would like to llive like that but I'm not sure if I'd be able to survive as I'm quite weak physically and mentally, and I might end up as prey :eek:

Mythos & Logos

There's nothing odd about feeling a calling to be closer to nature but when the driving factor of the thought is to avoid people that's when you know the anxiety is having a major influence on it.

I have the vision of living a similar type of lifestyle in the mountains with a few other people & only going into town when necessary, my anxiety is a significant influence on this thought but definitely not the only one

rigby1987

I too get the same obsession , I could just imagine living in a log cabbin in a nice snowy mountain with wolves and hunting for food and gathering wood logs to make fires to keep myself warm/going.I would be more ocupied / less clogged up with stress/anxiety.

To be away from the busyness of citys and in the now of nature and calm, i would be so more content that way .

But thats a dream compared to what modern life is . I also get this wierd feeling that i would have been more social in the olden days , say 1900's for instance. I dunno mad or what

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
The one thing I want in life, if anything, is to live more primitively, and with nature. Out, open land, none, or little, people, hard labour that keeps busy, focusing on our most primal instinct; to survive, no time for anxiety, no expectations of society, bye dirty greed and sick and sad individuals, no TIME for sadness, amazement found in the most simple of tasks, just survive and live in the now with the earth, finally awake.

Share this? I had a wierd feeling this would be a common trend among us. I never thought this part of me was related to my social anxiety... I kind of hope it isn't, because i'm scared it would change this dream (despite that I know it won't)
Yes. The world we live in just isn't the environment we evolved for.

For the vast majority of our species' history, most of our time and thoughts were occupied with staying alive. The tasks we set ourselves to were physical (and thus involved exercise, endorphins, and kept us in shape) and had clear and obvious survival value.

Social anxiety was not such an obvious problem because there just weren't that many people. We lived in multiple family groups of around 50 or so people, occasionally meeting up with other such groups, but it would be very rare for anyone to come across someone they hadn't known for years.

Of course, you need a lot of land to live like that, and nowadays all land is owned by someone else unless you have a very large amount of money to pay for it yourself.

Last edited:

emerald_star733

Definately can relate... cities drive me nuts.. too much noise, people, etc. nature instantly heals me. I need trees, water, clear skies, not concrete and smog. (i used to live in a city, glad i live in the rocky mountains now as it helps a lot)

chris11

Of course, there is a critical flaw with your desire, no offense. Anxiety is a left over from a very long history of evolution. It IS a primal emotion: cats experiance it, dog's, chimpanzees. In fact, even extreme anxiety, as seen in someone with an anxiety disorder, has been observed in animals. I agree that contempoary society is really anxiety provoking, with its incredible pace and so on. But, to live more primal, you would have to embrace not just a more 'primitive' society but also more primitive, and often unnessacary, emotions. The best bet would be to attempt to transend the unsavory leftovers of evolution.