Now That You've Been Fully Vaccinated...

theoutsider

... or are about to become fully vaccinated, how do you feel about things returning back to normal? I know we haven't returned back to normal yet and, who knows, we might not for a while now but how do you feel about it if/when we do? I feel a little guilty in saying I've somewhat come to enjoy the admonishments to limit contact with large groups and some other social functions. I'm not going to say I hope Covid-19 stays around longer because I don't want people to continue to die from it. Nor do I want people to continue to suffer economically because of it. But a part of me does wish some of the lack of pressure to be super sociable animals would remain as is. Currently, I go into the office on days when I feel it necessary as do my co-workers and nobody pressures us into going in more often. We always got along well but for over a year now, we've barely seen each other in person. I've become so much more relaxed and less anxiety ridden than I used to be. I wish we could do away with the bad (the sickness, deaths and unemployment) and keep the good (the lack of pressure to be sociable).

Phoenixx

I've been wondering about this lately too. On one hand, I'm going to enjoy being able to visit friends more often and actually go to some local events this year and next year. But on the other, I know I'm going to hate people crowding in stores and lots of traffic on the road again. Once other places start opening up again to full capacity and local events start up again, the crowds and lines are going to be absolutely ridiculous. That alone may make me wait another year. :rolleyes:

It's also going to be weird not wearing masks. Many people hate them, but honestly I grew to actually like mine. I didn't get sick once this year wearing one and following protocols. *knocks on wood* Not even a cold which I normally get at least once a year, and yes those were still going around as normal too. I think mask wearing is definitely going to be something I'll do permanently during sick seasons. It's also going to be weird seeing everyone's faces again, especially people you just met. You only ever got to know half their face, now you're going to meet them all over again. 😂

On another note, regardless of whether there's a pandemic or not, we need to keep the 6 ft of personal space. Seriously. Nothing makes me more annoyed than someone standing behind me in the checkout line at the store trying to shove their cart up my ass. 😒

SoScared

...but will the full vaccination catch the B.1.617.2 variant which may take off in the UK just as we are opening up a little. Funny how we have different values and interests. Sitting inside a pub drinking beer is not on my priority list, but for others it's a must.

Think I've done well during lockdown but I have noticed that when I do actually have a conversation I've a tendency towards dissociation which i take to be a sign that I do need regular quality company quite soon.

theoutsider

I've been wondering about this lately too. On one hand, I'm going to enjoy being able to visit friends more often and actually go to some local events this year and next year. But on the other, I know I'm going to hate people crowding in stores and lots of traffic on the road again. Once other places start opening up again to full capacity and local events start up again, the crowds and lines are going to be absolutely ridiculous. That alone may make me wait another year. :rolleyes:

It's also going to be weird not wearing masks. Many people hate them, but honestly I grew to actually like mine. I didn't get sick once this year wearing one and following protocols. *knocks on wood* Not even a cold which I normally get at least once a year, and yes those were still going around as normal too. I think mask wearing is definitely going to be something I'll do permanently during sick seasons. It's also going to be weird seeing everyone's faces again, especially people you just met. You only ever got to know half their face, now you're going to meet them all over again. 😂

On another note, regardless of whether there's a pandemic or not, we need to keep the 6 ft of personal space. Seriously. Nothing makes me more annoyed than someone standing behind me in the checkout line at the store trying to shove their cart up my ass. 😒
I've definitely gotten used to wearing a mask now. And you're right, it does seem to reduce other illnesses. I also usually get at least one cold per year but haven't been sick once in over a year now (I just realized this as I was reading your response)!

oNecoOlazN

im getting my first shot in 2 weeks. LOL!

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've had my 1st jab, AstraZeneca with no side effects. I did some research and credible studies are showing a much higher spike of antibodies if you get a different jab for your 2nd shot eg; AstraZeneca 1st, Pfizer 2nd. Like, MUCH higher. So I'm booked in to get my 2nd jab, Pfizer in about 2 weeks.

As far as things returning to 'normal'.. well I think that's still a ways off. New variants are emerging - thats the virus evolving to survive - so I don't think we're out of the woods yet.

Phoenixx

I've had my 1st jab, AstraZeneca with no side effects. I did some research and credible studies are showing a much higher spike of antibodies if you get a different jab for your 2nd shot eg; AstraZeneca 1st, Pfizer 2nd. Like, MUCH higher. So I'm booked in to get my 2nd jab, Pfizer in about 2 weeks.
Hmm, I wonder why that is. 🤔 That's really interesting, I'm going to have to look into that. I haven't known anyone here in the US to have different shots, they've always kept it consistent so far. I got Moderna for both my shots, but then again I also got them when they were first rolling out.

Living alone with no office and just one semi-local friend, I haven't had any pressure to socialize, outside of small family events on holidays. So I've been enjoying doing it at my own pace and choice. So far that's been meetup groups, and planning to go to a baseball game soon.

What I do miss is having the pandemic as an excuse, and being able to convince myself I'd be making progress if I had the chance, and the general sense that my obligation to better myself was on pause.

Phoenixx said:
I haven't known anyone here in the US to have different shots, they've always kept it consistent so far.

The US doesn't allow mismatching them, on the grounds that they haven't studied and proved different combinations as safe and effective beyond doubt. And because it's unnecessary to study it when what we've got works and we don't have supply problems like some places.

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Hmm, I wonder why that is. 🤔 That's really interesting, I'm going to have to look into that. I haven't known anyone here in the US to have different shots, they've always kept it consistent so far. I got Moderna for both my shots, but then again I also got them when they were first rolling out.
Yea the general recommendation here in Oz is to follow through with the same second shot, there's no evidence that having 2 different ones does any harm especially as I'm having them 3 months apart. But the benefits seem to be better. Studies show that having them around 3 months apart gives a better booster type effect too. I'd be happy to have either Moderna Or Pfizer but we don't have Moderna here in Oz yet, so Pfizer it is 🤘

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
In general, once things start to really get back to normal I think I'll see I didn't realize how much I missed how things were before. While being overly self aware of certain things and cautious played perfectly into the conditions the pandemic played, they're generally qualities I try to downplay as they hurt my ability to enjoy things. The pandemic fed those qualities though, and so things like a spontaneous night out or forgetting my nervousness for a moment had been lost. I imagine I'll at least have the opportunity to do those things again once things get back to normal though.

That is not to say there are not things I'm going to miss. My favorite pandemic precaution had to be having arrows pointing to what direction to walk around the store. It made shopping so much more efficient! Even when the stores were a little busy, I never worried about turning into a traffic jam. In general, the more order provided to activities the better in my book.

vj288 said:
My favorite pandemic precaution had to be having arrows pointing to what direction to walk around the store.

That was my least favorite precaution, to the extent that I stopped shopping at stores that had arrows. Because half the people walked the wrong direction, and all those people defying the arrows made me a lot more frustrated and angry than where there weren't arrows. I guess you live in a remarkably rule-following area.

grapevine

Yea the general recommendation here in Oz is to follow through with the same second shot, there's no evidence that having 2 different ones does any harm especially as I'm having them 3 months apart. But the benefits seem to be better. Studies show that having them around 3 months apart gives a better booster type effect too. I'd be happy to have either Moderna Or Pfizer but we don't have Moderna here in Oz yet, so Pfizer it is 🤘
Yep crossing fingers Pfizer gets a rollout and i can get a jab next year, but i wont get my hopes up with greg hunt lol

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
That was my least favorite precaution, to the extent that I stopped shopping at stores that had arrows. Because half the people walked the wrong direction, and all those people defying the arrows made me a lot more frustrated and angry than where there weren't arrows. I guess you live in a remarkably rule-following area.

No, there were a fair share of people who ignored the rules which I also found frustrating. I do live in a more rural area with less people around though so when I did my late morning midweek shopping trips the stores were pretty empty even before the pandemic. I also don't trust people very well, so I also assume people are going to ignore rules making it a little less frustrating when they do. My philosophy when I'm driving my car is "assume everyone else is an idiot" and it generally works out pretty good :p.