November 2, 2012

ShyGuy1994

I still feel like it's too late to make friends around this time of year. People in real life are still going to think I'm a weird person if I go up to them. I feel like I'm the only person missing out on a lot of fun in my college life. :sad:

Roman Legion

Find an activity you enjoy, not necessarily something popular as you will only find people you have nothing in common with and doom yourself to failure. People will find you doing your own thing, I met my friend in High school that way and he was a great friend, not a friend in name only; I reserve the title friend with strict standards, not just giving it to anyone I have ever met like the majority of people do (But thats just me.).

truffleshuffle

It is late, a lot of people have already made their friendships except me. Probably won't make friends till I'm 30. :sad:

You have to try you cant just sit back and think they will come to you,you have to put your self out there a bit. I know its a scary thing but you have to.

truffleshuffle

I'm afraid to go up and talk to people and it's gonna be very hard to do.

You have to do something you can;t just sit back and think something will happen eventualy life will just pass you by. Like John Wayne said "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" It may be hard to do but its not impossible. I know how you feel but maybe join something like a club that interestes you that way when you do talk to someone you have a ice breaker so to speak. Just do it little by little and eventualy it won;t be as hard or scary.

Hastings & Main

Pick the people you think will identify with your personality. If it fails, retreat, take stock, DON'T GIVE UP, realize that they may be just wary, try again.
If THAT fails...
DON'T GIVE UP. Try someone or some group else.

ShyGuy1994

Pick the people you think will identify with your personality. If it fails, retreat, take stock, DON'T GIVE UP, realize that they may be just wary, try again.
If THAT fails...
DON'T GIVE UP. Try someone or some group else.

All of the students at my age look popular and I'll make a fool out of myself if I approach them. They don't stay to hang around on campus at night. :sad:

xDreamseller

Don't they live near your uni though? So they would be around at night? (I dunno, my university isn't a campus uni, it kinda of blends into the south end of the city so everyone lives like right beside it and all the bars etc are there)

Just talk to people you're sitting near or whatever, that's what I do lol. Think about it this way...if someone sat down beside you and started the conversation, wouldn't you enjoy that? I always think it's great when that happens.

ShyGuy1994

Don't they live near your uni though? So they would be around at night? (I dunno, my university isn't a campus uni, it kinda of blends into the south end of the city so everyone lives like right beside it and all the bars etc are there)

Just talk to people you're sitting near or whatever, that's what I do lol. Think about it this way...if someone sat down beside you and started the conversation, wouldn't you enjoy that? I always think it's great when that happens.

I don't know where these people live because they're not from my town. And my college doesn't have dorms, just rental apartment buildings across the parking lot.

laure15

Maybe you should give the library a try. That's the place where the socially anxious, shy people go to hide/hang out, so if you meet someone there, chances are they are probably a lot like you. I met some of my friends at the library.

Another option would be to go to a counseling session at your campus. Some schools offer free mental health counseling. Maybe you can ask the therapist/counselor to introduce you to people who are very similar to you.

ShyGuy1994

Maybe you should give the library a try. That's the place where the socially anxious, shy people go to hide/hang out, so if you meet someone there, chances are they are probably a lot like you. I met some of my friends at the library.

Another option would be to go to a counseling session at your campus. Some schools offer free mental health counseling. Maybe you can ask the therapist/counselor to introduce you to people who are very similar to you.

I've been to the library, everybody is always there working on homework and they leave right away. I feel like transferring to a 4 year university right now. I don't know about seeing a counselor, because he/she might tell me to just put myself out there and I know it's gonna be hard. :sad:

Last edited:

truffleshuffle

I've been to the library, everybody is always there working on homework and they leave right away. I feel like transferring to a 4 year university right now. I don't know about seeing a counselor, because he/she might tell me to just put myself out there and I know it's gonna be hard. :sad:
Dude stuff thats hard to do is more rewarding in the end. Eventualy you will have to put your self out there one way or another.The counselor will be real helpful and may even know how or where you could go and meet people. Anything you do will be hard but if you don;t do anything it will be harder on you.

mikebird

Banned
Strange thinking about the details on what happened at Uni. All my connections with people were mostly through a conduit with my no. 1 course buddy who introduced me to others, while we lived in student accommodation near campus. 2nd year needed to find other group houses to stay with.

Quiet at the weekends. Quite lonely. I ignored all my 'being alone' SA status, thinking 'that doesn't matter'. It's normal.

Most social activity was ALL about music events, carried on from school with kindred enjoyment of house parties. Campus and town 'pay to get in' events organised by myself and mates. London

I missed out on so many chances to befriend countless sexxyy ladies on the dancefloor. :kiss: :sarcastic:

I was the last one left at the end, after everyone had gone

This was late nineties

Last edited: