not sure i really want friends

worrywort

catuk said:
Harleyq said:
I feel the same as you. Whenever I make friends, I feel bad because it often feels like a chore when I think about calling them or keeping in touch. It's not that I don't like them...I just don't feel like socializing outside of school/work. Then I start thinking "Damn, Harleyq, do you even want friends?"

I enjoy my own company more than that of others and Idk if it's just me or if I've conditioned myself to think that way because I know that if I'm alone, I'm not going to be anxious.

Thats how i feel to.

Yea, I'm exactly the same too! It's not that I dislike anyone in particular, it's just that being around people is such hard work. It drains me out. Whereas when I'm alone it refreshes me and I feel much better.....and when I weigh the pro's and con's of having friends I tend to find that the con's outweigh the pro's. I do find people fascinating and I would love to get to know people more, but the anxiety and confusion I experience when attempting this messes me up too much, so in the end it's usually just not worth it.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I'm the same... I've been avoiding my friends for a while. I feel terrible, because they really like me and they're good to me but... I just want to be alone.

Moonie

Friends are just too much work and I wouldn't even know how to make any anymore anyway. I think I naturally have a low social threshold. I am okay with having one or two friends at a time. But, usually no more than that. And the few friends that I have had in the past few years were all male. It's hard to meet female friends. And sadly, most (if not all) of my male friends wanted to be more than friends.

I'm not opposed to having female friends. But, as I said, I can't make any. And it's hard for me to relate to most females because I'm a weirdo, lol. And I think they'd be less tolerable of my SA.

I think I do not want friends but for different reasons.
The few friends I have had and still have would not be my friends
if it wasn't for me. I was the one that took the initiative and still take
it to keep in touch.
In my mind a friendship should be a two way thing whereas for me it feels
like it has always been a one way thing. When I eventually get fed up and
stop trying that is basically the end of the friendship as
they never/rarely get in touch or try to keep contact.

I really do not know whose fault it is. I can say it is my fault for "trying"
to hard but then again I am not the only one to blame here.
Am I?

Yes, I know people age, get married, get other prioritize in life but
that does not have to mean losing contact with friends does it?

I have given this a lot of thought and a few things have come to mind.

1) Maybe I am too demanding or expect to much from people
2) Maybe I chose bad people to call my friends
3) Maybe friends are so use to me pulling all the strings they do not bother
because that is what they expect from me
4) Maybe I am too giving or needy
5) Maybe these people just do not like me

Anyone?

DarkSeeker

I've never had any friends, not even any family to support me

I cannot want any friends, because I will never have any friends and no one would ever care about me

All I got and will ever have is myself and that's it

It's a vicious circle

recluse

I'm the same... I've been avoiding my friends for a while. I feel terrible, because they really like me and they're good to me but... I just want to be alone.

You are introverted and just need a lot of tiem to yourself.....Nothing wrong with that. Atleast you do have friends you can turn to.

melsmood

all the high school "friends" that befriended me never spoke to me in high school or online.
I'm old so it's been many years since highschool but it kind of amuses me to look up people I went to school with, and see who has friended whom on Facebook, all the different social cliques who never had anything to do with each other at school

FOR REAL

Banned
I'm old so it's been many years since highschool but it kind of amuses me to look up people I went to school with, and see who has friended whom on Facebook, all the different social cliques who never had anything to do with each other at school

melsmood, youve hit the nail with the hammer:) or vice versa:confused:
its weird people how people try to add you as a "friend" that youve never even spoken to at school, but they remember your name!
i just delete them (nosey people)::p: