"No matter where you go, somebody will dislike you."

God_help_Us

A family member sat me down on the back porch one night, and we got to talking about dealing with people at work. He's come to learn, no matter where you go, somebody will dislike you, no matter what. Unfortunately, that has indeed been my experience in this ****** up life. I've heard this from other people to. Others still have dismissed this as nonsense, and that if that's my experience it's something I'm doing. What do you guys think? I'd appreciate some input, and opinion on this bit of advice.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I think shy people just attract the worst kinds. Victimizers and even everyday ass-holes will make a beeline to a timid person as soon as they become aware of your presence.

Combine that with our tendency to believe that even worse things abound than what's really going on, and it just makes for a crappy day at work with those types, or just socializing in general.

I think it's a fair generalization. It should almost be a given that there will be at least one person that doesn't like you right off the bat. I wouldn't even say it's because there are bad people instantly willing to treat someone they find an easy targey poorly so much as it is a default universal personality conflict. It's just how people function in general, as well as how some people simply are to others when they gauge their personalities. The only way to avoid it becoming more than a passing thing, is to ignore it. It happens, regardless of the cause. Could be because there is a single trait about someone that is assumed conflicting, or known conflicting. A defense mechanism. An act of fitting in, etc.

DarkSeeker

That's okay as long as you got at least as many people who likes you. In my case, nobody likes or dislikes me where I am, because I'm literally a ghost.

bony666

totally agree, and thx for raising this isuue, because I have been suffering from this all over my life not only at work. I guess that not always our fault. People may be jalous, or just dislike everyone, and not only you.
However, there are those times where you feel , there's just something wrong with you, like you are destined to be disliked wherever you go ?,!!

Really have no answer to that. Fortunately my new job is really nice and the people are not hateful. I don't think anyone dislikes me. It's therefore at lot about the environment ?
Don't you think so ?

lyricalliaisons

I agree with your family member. In my case, as quiet as I am, & even though I do nothing to make people dislike me, there are still a lot of people who don't like me.

Emily_G

A family member sat me down on the back porch one night, and we got to talking about dealing with people at work. He's come to learn, no matter where you go, somebody will dislike you, no matter what. Unfortunately, that has indeed been my experience in this ****** up life. I've heard this from other people to. Others still have dismissed this as nonsense, and that if that's my experience it's something I'm doing. What do you guys think? I'd appreciate some input, and opinion on this bit of advice.

I've found this to be true as well. I don't think it's something we are doing wrong.