New to social anxiety.

TheTemp

Anyone on here new to social anxiety? I was an extrovert up until drug use which lead to psychosis and depression which in turn has made me socially anxious and awkward. I am now on medication and avoid social situations as much as possible and have friends who constantly try to make an effort to see me who I avoid because of my new found social anxiety. I am 20 years old. If I spent 20 years being a "social butterfly", how could I have allowed myself to become like this. Social skills aren't something you forget or lose. Can I get them back? Anyone else on here have an experience like mine? I've spent the last 7 months being a bit of a recluse, with only my twin (who is still an extrovert) and one friend by my side.

Tulicks

Anyone on here new to social anxiety? I was an extrovert up until drug use which lead to psychosis and depression which in turn has made me socially anxious and awkward. I am now on medication and avoid social situations as much as possible and have friends who constantly try to make an effort to see me who I avoid because of my new found social anxiety. I am 20 years old. If I spent 20 years being a "social butterfly", how could I have allowed myself to become like this. Social skills aren't something you forget or lose. Can I get them back? Anyone else on here have an experience like mine? I've spent the last 7 months being a bit of a recluse, with only my twin (who is still an extrovert) and one friend by my side.

I wouldn't want to say that social anxiety can't be undone, but I'm not sure. Once it's developed it's hard to get off the mind, which makes it so alive to you. I do exposures every day... at least once a day I will put myself in an awkward situation just to confront the social anxiety. Isolating yourself is not going to do the trick, avoid isolation at all costs. It will not help you recover.

razzle dazzle rose

You are recovering from drug addiction, so maybe once you are better you will be able to bounce back socially and be your old self again. At least you know that you are capable of being social. Don't let your current state define who you are. Welcome to the forum btw :)

dyingtolive

hi thetemp,

i went thru something similar,

throughout my life i was an introvert but somewhere down the line i became more extroverted but at the same time was also into substance abuse, they sort of went hand in hand in a way. i was still an introvert but it helped me become more confident. until i needed it to be able to function socially.

then when i quit, back to bad social phobia.
i think i never really conquered it but lately i think its just saying 'f*#k', grow a pair, and after all this sh*t i have to deal with, ive had enough, really i don't need this. so i give myself more confidence to stand on my own to face the world.

i guess b4 that u've had to have had enough first..
but its a matter of finding that confidence. u could feel it from substance, or in a way for me it can also come from anger or i dont know rage? i dont know the word

EscapeArtist

Welcome, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If anything, where you are now could mean that a lot of it is biological, neurotransmitters or something... (receptor damage?) IMO it IS reversible , especially if it's a new thing and it's more biological than emotional (post-traumatic stress). It's just a matter of knowing what it is that you have to reverse the damage of. It sounds like you may benefit more from lifestyle changes simply because it is originating from an out of balance body. Sorry if I make no sense lol welcome thouh!