new member here

RoseQuartz

Hello everyone, I stumbled upon these forums while googling for "Ruby programming tutorials" and clicking whatever I got from there. It was quite amusing.

Female, 33, Brazilian.
I have an annoying face blushing problem, and also a problem with panic attacks whenever I have to speak in front of people AND get a grade/piece of paper for it, that is, oral exams. This has prevented me from going for a Master degree and I'm looking for a cure.
There are other problems of course but I don't feel like spoiling it all here :)

MikeyC

Welcome to the forum, RoseQuartz. The drinking fountain is closed for repairs, but feel free to wander around and enjoy the facilities. :)

Welcome :) a Rose is a plant and Quartz is a crystal-looking mineral, why did u use those words together? :)

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

Hi Rose. Probably the best solution would be to get exposed to your fear of public speaking. Maybe you can start practicing among family and friends? Then as you gain confidence, have them invite some of their friends that you're not familiar with. Kind of like slowly getting use to cold water at the beach....Believe it or not, I have social anxiety and do very well in public speaking. I took a class to overcome the fear.

Another option is medication. Something like Klonopin may work. But, this is a dangerous drug, does cause dependency and withdrawals are very severe. You would have to take this only in emergencies. (1-2X a week, tops).

Good luck and welcome to the forum! :)

RoseQuartz

thanks for the warm welcome, everyone =)

@ImNotmyIllness:
I'm not really afraid of speaking in public, I'm a teacher and a storyteller. I also used to perform well on stage. The problem comes when it's an exam, and other people are watching. For example, I was a good dancer but didn't make it to the city ballet because there was an admittance exam. That means I totally lost control of my whole body including my mouth and my ears, among other symptoms. Thanks for your advice anyway =)

I really can't stand this anymore ugh...

and
Welcome :) a Rose is a plant and Quartz is a crystal-looking mineral, why did u use those words together? :)

Rose is my name. A rose quartz is a pink type of quartz, quite common ( I collect gemstones and crystals, they're so colorful and pretty ).

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

thanks for the warm welcome, everyone =)

@ImNotmyIllness:
I'm not really afraid of speaking in public, I'm a teacher and a storyteller. I also used to perform well on stage. The problem comes when it's an exam, and other people are watching. For example, I was a good dancer but didn't make it to the city ballet because there was an admittance exam. That means I totally lost control of my whole body including my mouth and my ears, among other symptoms. Thanks for your advice anyway =)

I really can't stand this anymore ugh...

Oh wow. That sounds horrible. Maybe the added pressure of being graded or critique causes the panic attacks. I'm at a loss. There has to be a way to overcome this. You don't have any problems with performing or public speaking, so that's encouraging. Try to find a good therapist or psychologist.

Hang in there!

Hofmann

Brazillians. Brazillians everywhere!

Feels good to know I'm not the only one here.

Since I'm a lazy bum and didn't create a thread to introduce myself I'll just steal yours to do it.

I'm also brazillian, 18 years old, law student. Have Palmar Hyperhidrosis and I guess this is pretty much it. I've already found my "cure" which is the Driclor product but the whole thing seems so awesome that I decided to join.

This is it, sorry for using your space to sell my fish :p
I hope you'll figure out how to deal with your issue. If you need something I am (and probably everybody else is) here. C ya around!