new job but ready to quit already

LazyHermitCrab

Hi everyone. I had somewhat recently graduated and have been looking for a job. It wasn't easy to find one so I took the first offer. (well second offer because the first one was probably a scam) Anyway i'm very ready to quit it after 6 months. I knew when I took the job it wasn't for me but I couldn't find any other jobs at the time. In the interview they said it would require 2 weeks of travel a year but I have to travel almost every month for a few nights to a week. It makes me feel physically sick. Some ppl in my life thought it was a great job out of college. Sure the pay is descent for a first job after college but it's not worth it day in and out. The advice i've been given is to wait until a year is up and start looking again. Would it be bad just to look now? The job I had before this i stayed for 4 years so i thought having a short stunt would be okay? Sure it wasn't great but at least I didn't have to travel and go on long all day constant meetings :/ It's also going to be awkward to say I quit... haven't figured out how to best to do that yet since it's a fairly small company but just wanted advice.

If you're not feeling good with your current job, I'd say start looking whenever you feel you need to get out. It sounds cheesy, but you need to do whatever makes you happy and not worry how it's going to look black-on-white.

And it's not like you quit after a mere week or something.

¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm right there with you. I wish I had advice but I don't know what to do for myself.
I've been working for about a week, after 5 month unemployment after being laid of from a job I had for 7 years that was perfect for me.
Now everything about this job is what I wanted to avoid (a good job for working family men and women) but it's tons of over time, kills my what small social life I have. I will basically live to work. Since starting I've been incredibly depressed, but everybody keeps saying it's a good job with good benifits, which is great for most people. I ever got hired into a job people working thete years wait for openings.
I want to find another job, but I can't for the life of me make phone calls, and that's why it took me 5 months to get another one, got tons of job offers, but I could never call them back. This job the hr lady let me do everything over email.
Good luck to you, I believe that it's better to be happy with a little money then unhappy with more money

Crankor

Theres no point in waiting. If your not happy with it then it's just going to stress you out. If this was you first job ever then i'd suggest waiting a while to see if it's just a matter of adjusting but doesn't sound like it in this case. If any employer asks, just refer to that you are not working in the original terms agreed on. You should expect the possibility that they will try and work something out with you if it's a smaller company. So that in mind, you should decide before you mention quitting if you would except any of their suggestions or if you just plain out want to move on.

LazyHermitCrab

Thank you for helping all and sharing what you're going through too. I was up last night thinking about it and I'm going to try to reach the 8 month mark as i'm looking for a new job now. By the time i actually find a job it could be like 9 months or so total. Anyway i was going to volunteer at some companies i like (just a few hrs every 2 weeks) so there's something new I can add to the resume so 8 months doesn't look too short or something. Also I have a specific reason for leaving because I dislike the frequency of travel. People without SA don't often like it too. Unless maybe for like... vacation. Anyway yep.

LazyHermitCrab

I'm right there with you. I wish I had advice but I don't know what to do for myself.
I've been working for about a week, after 5 month unemployment after being laid of from a job I had for 7 years that was perfect for me.
Now everything about this job is what I wanted to avoid (a good job for working family men and women) but it's tons of over time, kills my what small social life I have. I will basically live to work. Since starting I've been incredibly depressed, but everybody keeps saying it's a good job with good benifits, which is great for most people. I ever got hired into a job people working thete years wait for openings.
I want to find another job, but I can't for the life of me make phone calls, and that's why it took me 5 months to get another one, got tons of job offers, but I could never call them back. This job the hr lady let me do everything over email.
Good luck to you, I believe that it's better to be happy with a little money then unhappy with more money

I think you should follow your own advice at the end. If you're depressed definitely keep looking. You could do what I'm doing and wait for the 8 month mark though if you're learning anything valuable through this job so when you interview somewhere new you can talk about what you learned. Some people quit right away and just don't put it on their resume too. It also takes time to research what job you want to do so you're not in the same position again. When I was looking for a job I didn't really care about the industry just didn't want to be unemployed for a long time after college especially since my degree was English without any minor so wanted business skills of some sort asap lol.

SoScared

This corporate life of meetings and travel really isn't all its made out to be. Get out soon and avoid diabetes and other health issues.

LazyHermitCrab

This corporate life of meetings and travel really isn't all its made out to be. Get out soon and avoid diabetes and other health issues.

It's a nonprofit but corporate at the same time. It's kind of hard to explain here but I don't want to say online lol. I'm looking for a new job now but it will take some time. Thanks and yes health is more important.

Predacon

There's no harm in looking at other jobs while staying with this one. I say keep an eye for anything else that might interest you.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Yep I agree with the other guys here, nothing wrong with looking now.
I also think it's easier to get a new job while you're already employed. The potential employer will see you as a worker, someone who likes to work and prefers to work.
There is nothing wrong with changing jobs but make sure you're not going to disadvantage yourself by doing so.
Good luck with it! :)

Metal_isthe_Answer

Same here. I work in the deli of a Kroger, its not terribly difficult or anything, but they moved from slicing meat for sandwiches to working with raw meat. Holding up uncooked rotisserie chicken really grosses me out.
That and Ive already been written up, dont really want to stay there.