New here....bad genes

Ello all,
My dad is a long-time member so I finally joined as well...I'm 23 and just in the past few years the HH has been at the most severe. I also have fibromyalgia, nerve pain....it's a mess.
Anyhow, I was wondering: do any of you also have immediate family members with HH? Is there any genetic link known?
Thanks, and I'll enjoy getting to know you all :)

-Mirror

Englishman

Hello there, I'm guessing your Sprawling's daughter? Welcome to the forum. There's no gentic link with my family and my HH. I'm the only person who suffers, I don't know how that's possible but it is... I guess I'm the cursed one ha.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, I do not know what HH is, but my mother has fibromyalgia so I know kind of what you deal with from that.

laure15

Hi Mirror. It is of my opinion that HH can be passed down from parent to child. My dad has HH as do I and my sibling.

Sprawling

Ello all,
My dad is a long-time member so I finally joined as well...I'm 23 and just in the past few years the HH has been at the most severe. I also have fibromyalgia, nerve pain....it's a mess.
Anyhow, I was wondering: do any of you also have immediate family members with HH? Is there any genetic link known?
Thanks, and I'll enjoy getting to know you all :)

-Mirror

My dearest favorite daughter... welcome. I wish I was able to track down which relative that gave me HH. I have asked your grandparents, and both say they know of non one else who has HH. This leads me to conclude that whom ever had HH did a very good job of hiding it.

I wonder if HH can skip a generation or two?

My gift to bringing you into the world: HH and Fibromyalgia. It makes me feel awful that you have them both.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I do not know what HH is

hh_zps9c381931.png

I've made the same mistake before.

Amherst

Lots of my family members have it- my father, one of two brothers, two grandfathers, several uncles and one cousin, who has the worst case I've ever encountered. There is a major ongoing study to locate the gene or genes that cause hyperhidrosis, but the researchers haven't had any major breakthroughs yet. I'm guessing that this is because there are many (and I'd guess several dozen) genes that play a role in its pathogenesis. But even if you have the genes, that is no guarantee that you'll come down with hyperhidrosis. Something has to cause the genes to start expressing themselves, and this is where you enter the field of what is called epigenetics. I didn't come down with hyperhidrosis until after I had turned forty - and I really wonder what actually caused this change. My dream: someday, scientists will locate the genes responsible and find a way to stop them from expressing themselves. Don't know whether this will happen in my lifetime.

Englishman

I wonder if there's a link with the severity of HH and genetics. That is to say, if you're mother/father has HH then yours will be more severe or the exact same. I'm the only person affected in my whole family and mine is pretty bad, I wonder how this is? You'd tend to think if my parents were unaffected then I'd have a less severe case.

Amherst

Englishman: it's hard to tell. In my family, at least, the level of severity seems to vary, both within and across generations. Some epigenetic changes are passed down; others don't seem to be. This is the subject of really interesting research right now. if you remember your high school biology classes, think of the debates between supporters of Lamarck and Darwin.

But HH severity can also be strongly influenced by emotional responses. As so many commentators on this forum have noted, the more you get worked up about it, the more you're going to sweat. Think of it as a conditioned behavioral response. But this isn't necessarily bad news, because it's also possible to unlearn these conditioned responses and train your brain to go off in different directions at these moments of fear. It won't stop us from sweating but it can decrease its severity considerably. The brain, it turns out, is actually quite malleable.