Narrow-minded Parenting

Richey

i don't think its a genetic cause at all...its really a tough call for me to say that because it does make sense that perhaps we have certain genes that sway our behaviour, i believe its our environment and outside influences of other people and belief and sensitivity that is more of an issue, certainly good parenting helps though because of the conditining factor..i'll need more time to think about this.

There's plenty of countries where there's no welfare whatsoever. Some countries even practice conscription in which being yelled at and verbally abused with vulgarities non-stop is the norm. A lot of parents of those countries are especially desperate. But I agree with you on the parenting thing in general.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Parents like that are at fault if the kid has even more problems. Instead of helping, they add abuse and blame the kid for his problems. I hate people like that.

Emily_G

As a PWS (person with stutter) I'm pretty sensative to things like that I think. But I will not accept to be used as free housing, free food, etc forever.

thenykid

I agree with you too.

The yelling does nothing but make the kids feel worse.
They should be working with the kids to make them feel better, and if they do have to yell for something the kid did wrong, then right after they should tell the kids why they yelled and make sure they still fee loved.

xxaimsxx

My parents have been quite understanding to be fair to them but when i used to bunk off school they got quite fustrated with me. I think my parents are from the 'stiff upper lip' generation, Especially my mum anyway because her dad was like that all the time.

Tough luck doesnt work at all. If anything it just makes you push your feelings right down inside and everyone knows that isnt good!

Richey

I agree with you too.

The yelling does nothing but make the kids feel worse.
They should be working with the kids to make them feel better, and if they do have to yell for something the kid did wrong, then right after they should tell the kids why they yelled and make sure they still fee loved.

yeh this is a big problem, yelling and condescending parenting is simply an awful method of parenting because it can mess the children up in the long run by use of over discipline. what i mean by this is that it can make the kids feel rebellious and bitter towards life....however if your parents try to connect with you with respect, friendship, fun and empathy then the results are the opposite...you end up a much happier family and that will tranlsate to everything else in life as well eventually...

yeh this is a big problem, yelling and condescending parenting is simply an awful method of parenting because it can mess the children up in the long run by use of over discipline. what i mean by this is that it can make the kids feel rebellious and bitter towards life....however if your parents try to connect with you with respect, friendship, fun and empathy then the results are the opposite...you end up a much happier family and that will tranlsate to everything else in life as well eventually...

The vast majority of parents I've seen are pretty big into criticizing their kids. I see a kid who might think of ordering say... crispy chips instead of fries and get yelled at by their parents. "Who asked you to be different? Are you acting smart, smarty pants? Blah, blah, blah"... which is kind of ridiculous...

Or "You're horrible. How could you get 99 out of a hundred? You're careless and lazy. It's a dog eat dog world out there and you better learn not to make stupid mistakes..." I'm not making this up. And the strange part is that the same parent probably couldn't even pass the test on his or her own. Fortunately, my own parents weren't that critical of me not getting straight As all the time.

The worst part is that they can literally shout at their kids for the smallest mistakes at public places like the shopping malls. Sometimes, it's not even a mistake at all. Just the way that the parents own parents brought them up... Verbal abuse all the time. It makes for a new generation of sickness.