Myopia making me depressed.

Draconess25

I wear contacts, which is fine. For now. But I'm also a survivalist, and I know for a fact that I wouldn't survive in the event of a disaster. My vision is just too bad. It isn't like squinting to see the blackboard in class kind of bad, it's squinting to see your face less than an arm's length away kind of bad.

I have a small stockpile of contacts and solution, but they'd run out in less than a year if I used them right. I can't wear my glasses because the lenses are so thick; they distort the image at the edges, which defeats the whole point of improving vision, and they give me migraines. Also, glasses don't cover peripheral vision. That could be a liability. I've also researched Lasik, but it can cause new vision problems, and the results don't last.

Disaster scenarios aside, the thought of being half-blind my whole life is just plain depressing.

squidgee

What's your prescription? It sounds like you have severe myopia. I wear glasses as well and as of 2 years ago, I had -4.75 in my left eye and -4.25 in my right eye. Have you tried getting ultra thin lenses for your glasses? It's pricey, but it might fix the distortion you're seeing (if you're certain the thickness of the lenses is the cause of it). It also makes it weigh less so it doesn't feel as heavy. As for the peripheral vision thing, I've been wearing glasses for 6 years, and I've never had an issue with that. You only really notice it if you've got really small lenses or when you intentionally start to pay attention to your peripheral vision. In the vast majority of cases, I doubt it would make much difference.

Steiner

I wish kids were taught to protect their eyes early on, when their eyes are still developing and very vulnerable. With the increasing use of computers, tablets, and smartphones, it just makes the problem worse. Here is a good source I found that you might want to check out:

THE MYOPIA MYTH: How To Prevent Nearsightedness

Interesting. Good thing I never studied hah.

Probably why nerds are associated with wearing glasses too. Nose stuck in a book.

My brother got laser eye surgery and he seems to enjoy his new 20/20 vision. He is also what one would consider a survivalist. Always looking for ways to survive off the grid and all that. Plant identification. etc etc.

jaim38

Probably why nerds are associated with wearing glasses too. Nose stuck in a book.

I was raised a nerd alright. Been told by parents to study, study, study for a brighter future. Looking back at my life, I spent most of my teenage years studying a lot, trying to get into the top 10%. I never went to prom, sadie's, been to a high school game, or even graduation (ok, that was partly due to SA as well). I missed out on a lot of milestones. I'm also myopic btw, due to the constant studying and working on the computer. I wish my parents had raised me to enjoy life OUTSIDE of studying.

Steiner

I was raised a nerd alright. Been told by parents to study, study, study for a brighter future. Looking back at my life, I spent most of my teenage years studying a lot, trying to get into the top 10%. I never went to prom, sadie's, been to a high school game, or even graduation (ok, that was partly due to SA as well). I missed out on a lot of milestones. I'm also myopic btw, due to the constant studying and working on the computer. I wish my parents had raised me to enjoy life OUTSIDE of studying.

Ah. I went to graduation so you didn't miss much. Was just embarrassing because I got near to no claps. Was SA and didn't go to any dances or anything because of SA and my parents knew I was slow so they just wanted me to study enough to pass. I didn't use the computer a ton until I was 10 but I still did pretty good with my vision I think. 20/15 in my right eye and 20/20 in my left. The only enjoyment I really got was uh playing WoW or some other video game. Even on an online multiplayer I played extensively alone.

Draconess25

What's your prescription? It sounds like you have severe myopia. I wear glasses as well and as of 2 years ago, I had -4.75 in my left eye and -4.25 in my right eye. Have you tried getting ultra thin lenses for your glasses? It's pricey, but it might fix the distortion you're seeing (if you're certain the thickness of the lenses is the cause of it). It also makes it weigh less so it doesn't feel as heavy. As for the peripheral vision thing, I've been wearing glasses for 6 years, and I've never had an issue with that. You only really notice it if you've got really small lenses or when you intentionally start to pay attention to your peripheral vision. In the vast majority of cases, I doubt it would make much difference.

Uhhm....I don't have the boxes with me, but faces start to get blurry at 6-9 inches. And I've always noticed the peripheral vision thing, ever since I got glasses when I was 8. Contacts were a godsend. I guess I'd just have to loot them from somewhere. xD

Interesting. Good thing I never studied hah.

My brother got laser eye surgery and he seems to enjoy his new 20/20 vision. He is also what one would consider a survivalist. Always looking for ways to survive off the grid and all that. Plant identification. etc etc.

I personally wouldn't risk it. Your brother sounds like one of the lucky ones, and that's if it even lasts. Depending on how fast his myopia was progressing, he'll have to be lasered again in another 10-20 years. Besides, I may not have SA anymore, but I still don't want some snooty medical ****s messing with my eyes.

Looking

Well I have a -4.75 prescription in both of my eyes, and even then I don’t really consider my vision THAT bad. I think it’s about 20/400 but I’m not entirely sure. Yes, things are blurry a couple inches from my face, and I can’t even see something like the words on a computer screen or a book without literally pressing my face up against the screen, but it can still be corrected to normal vision. I’d start to worry if I got to the point where my vision couldn’t be corrected back to normal. Lots and lots of people need their vision corrected, you’d be quite lucky to have naturally perfect vision. I do envy those people but I also know that many people do fare worse than I do.
Also, like squidgee said, glasses nowadays can be made with much lighter and thinner materials. I got new glasses recently and I don’t see any weird distortion when I’m wearing them, though I still prefer contacts. Having a larger and lighter lens may help you see better out of glasses. I’m sorry myopia is making you depressed, but it really isn’t the end of the world. Just make sure to have an extra pair of glasses and plenty of contacts handy In the event of survival I suppose, or loot for them if need be :p.

Last edited:

Draconess25

Re: Looking

Well I have a -4.75 prescription in both of my eyes, and even then I don’t really consider my vision THAT bad. I think it’s about 20/400 but I’m not entirely sure. Yes, things are blurry a couple inches from my face, and I can’t even see something like the words on a computer screen or a book without literally pressing my face up against the screen, but it can still be corrected to normal vision. I’d start to worry if I got to the point where my vision couldn’t be corrected back to normal. Lots and lots of people need their vision corrected, you’d be quite lucky to have naturally perfect vision. I do envy those people but I also know that many people do fare worse than I do.
Also, like squidgee said, glasses nowadays can be made with much lighter and thinner materials. I got new glasses recently and I don’t see any weird distortion when I’m wearing them, though I still prefer contacts. Having a larger and lighter lens may help you see better out of glasses. I’m sorry myopia is making you depressed, but it really isn’t the end of the world. Just make sure to have an extra pair of glasses and plenty of contacts handy In the event of survival I suppose, or loot for them them if need be :p.

I've never been able to do glasses, even when my lenses weren't so thinck. I couldn't stand the difference between central vision and peripheral vision. With all the technology nowadays, you'd think they could make glasses to cover the whole field of vision equally without leaving blind spots. -.- Yeah, I'll probably just have to loot contacts, and maybe find a way to make my own solution if I run out.