My mind races uncontrollably

It's like my brain is constantly on speed. It just races, races, races...It's like I think about every single depressing and anxiety-filled aspect of my life in a crazy, incoherent cycle all day, everyday. I don't even know how to explain it. All the things I hate about myself are always present, even when I'm doing "distracting" things, I'm simultaneously having this rush of "I'm a hopeless loser" going through my head a million miles a second. I hate how that anxious feeling is ever-present in the pit of my stomach, even when I'm sitting on my couch watching TV UGH

Danfalc

Banned
I can relate to that sadly.It's horrible isn't it?Not being able to just chill..relax and switch off.One thing I have found to help and I hope this can maybe work for you.

Is..breathing exercises,I know that sounds a bit silly and I don't normally hold much faith in things like that myself.But I find doing a simple breathing exercise to distract your brain and keep it from going 100mph,it can really break the cycle of this speed like induced thought pattern we get.You have to really try and empty your mind too..use your breathing as a focus..Don't beat yourself up and give up if you get thoughts popping in your head,just try and fade them out..don't pay attention to them.

I can relate to that sadly.It's horrible isn't it?Not being able to just chill..relax and switch off.One thing I have found to help and I hope this can maybe work for you.

Is..breathing exercises,I know that sounds a bit silly and I don't normally hold much faith in things like that myself.But I find doing a simple breathing exercise to distract your brain and keep it from going 100mph,it can really break the cycle of this speed like induced thought pattern we get.You have to really try and empty your mind too..use your breathing as a focus..Don't beat yourself up and give up if you get thoughts popping in your head,just try and fade them out..don't pay attention to them.

Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. Thanks for the breathing suggestion, I think I really will try that! My self-defeating pessimism is already telling me it won't ever work for me lol, but it couldn't hurt to try, right?

agoraphobickatie

i used to be a lot like that... i still have anxious thoughts a lot of the time, but i'm definitely a lot more chill now.. i don't know if it's because i've made it a point to be more positive, or if it's because of the low dose paxil that i take ...hmmmm, lol

and danfalc is right.. which is a big reason why i have the word "breathe" tattooed on my wrist, haha.... sometimes if i can't chill, i'll breathe in a slow deep breath through my nose, hold it for 7 or 8 seconds and then let it out through my mouth really slowly..

panicsurvivor

Racing thoughts are one of the worst because they tend to happen, like you said, when you are at home doing something mundane. I have had panic attacks many times because of my racing thoughts. Breathing exercises can help for sure, but if you are like me you are too high strung for that. What works for me is working it out..... LITERALY. When my mind races I go out to my studio and run on my eliptical or if its particularly bad I beat the living crap out of my fight Dummy (I HIGHLY recommend getting one of these by the way).
Because with anxeity breathing really is the key and if you exercise it helps your mental chemistry to pump Good chemicals into your body and not negative ones.

jamez

Try the techniques they use in Buddhism. It has helped me a lot. Read the Dalai Lama.

AnxietyDave

I agree with the others, breathing exercises and mental relaxation exercises are what have saved me so far, I tend to be able to relax far more easily now and feel that I am beginning to get some of the control back over my anxiety. My whole anxiety story is a rather long one, but slowly but surely I feel I am overcoming it. One of my major releases was publishing my anxiety story for all to see, it now feels that I am more free to be who I am and not what I feel others want me to be.

chris11

Yeah, I can relate to that too. When my anxiety was at its worst, all I would be able to do is think about such things... over and over and over and.... It's a horrible experiance. What I did to try to avoid those types of thoughts was to solve sudoku puzzles. The only thing is is that I became so obsesesed with sudoku, that sudoku eventually repleaced my thoughts and I would be solving sudokus in my head while I walked around... It didn't decrese the anxiety or depression, but it provided a distraction.

diesel

i was diagnosed with "racing mind" so i know how frustrating it is . the only time it doesnt affect me seems to be when im training .