My body dysmorphia issue

Moses199

I'm a dark skin male of South Sudan (African) descent but i've been living in U.S. since 7yo, not much accent. I Honestly feel like i'm in the extreme end in regards to body-dysmorphia and feel like i have alot of physical features that look weird and not too common. They are as listed below:

1) My nose is very flat
2) My face is skinny. Genetically, the fat in my body is disproportional so my face hold less fat than my body so when i lose weight my face becomes really skinny while my body has alot of fat. Most people think i have a six-pack but in truth i have fat belly and been made fun of for it. I'm not fat but i'm not skinny either (except my face).
3) My NECK is very skinny, eventhough i have alot of muscle/fat in my body.
4) My teeth stick out from having over bite so when i close my mouth it looks like i have a mouthpiece inside. This teeth feature is common in people of South-Sudanese descent.
5) High & Big checkbones, which even makes my face look more like skeleton when it becomes skinny.
6) I have huge lips

I believe i look like like this picture of 50-cent 2016-09-02_2039 - sjsjerwer's library
Eventhough i'm 6'3 and 179 lbs, people have told me i look anorexic and my face looks like a skeleton but when i take my shirt off people say i'm fat. Sometimes i feel like i'm skeleton in fat guys body. Some people have told me my face looks like a skeleton and someone said my face is long when viewed from the side. I believe this is because my overbite teeth make my mouth look long and my noise is flat so it gives impression i have long face when views from the side.

This makes me feel like hell when i am walking, like people are thinking this guy doesn't feel comfortable with that weird uncoordinated body. I get alot of anxiety when i turn my face in a position where people can see it from the side/profile. The only good thing i probably have is bushy eyebrows as some people said. From research they say bushy eyebrows are somewhat attractive, idk.

Megaten

I myself had horrible body issues for a while because I'm tall and lanky. So in high school people started saying I was one of those grey, bug-eyed aliens you see on The X Files. Or egghead because of the shape of my head. It got me pushed around quite a bit too since I was only like 130 lbs, I even had a girl just come up and shove me out of the way in the hallway once, which made me feel pretty pathetic. Other times it was me getting smacked in the back of my head on the bus. So I became obsessed with lifting weights, trying to get bigger to compensate for that shit. I figured people would treat me better if I wasn't so comical to look at. I never could put on muscle, but I have finally at least gained weight now. I don't think Ill ever be happy with my body since I'm getting older and its hard to motivate myself to lift but I'm at least a little more comfortable in my skin. My dad is kinda built like you. All his body fat is on his gut but his limbs are rail thin.

Moses199

I myself had horrible body issues for a while because I'm tall and lanky. So in high school people started saying I was one of those grey, bug-eyed aliens you see on The X Files. Or egghead because of the shape of my head. It got me pushed around quite a bit too since I was only like 130 lbs, I even had a girl just come up and shove me out of the way in the hallway once, which made me feel pretty pathetic. Other times it was me getting smacked in the back of my head on the bus. So I became obsessed with lifting weights, trying to get bigger to compensate for that shit. I figured people would treat me better if I wasn't so comical to look at. I never could put on muscle, but I have finally at least gained weight now. I don't think Ill ever be happy with my body since I'm getting older and its hard to motivate myself to lift but I'm at least a little more comfortable in my skin. My dad is kinda built like you. All his body fat is on his gut but his limbs are rail thin.
Are you African-American? if you are than you MIGHT be in an advtange in the muscle gaining department. I saw video about how AAs have physical advantage because in the slave trade they only selected slaves that were fit physically, i don't know if this theory is true or not though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmG4d-nZFXs

For my race, i'm actually an odd one because South-Sudanese people are known for being thin as a stick but only good thing is we are tall, like sudan native Manute Bol. I'm not muscular, but i have good amount of natural muscle mass so if i ever do workout i won't need to work that long-term to finally reach a muscle gain finish point.

I think with my facial issues it might go away when i finally get older around 30-50yo. 50 cent doesn't look much the same as he got older - His face doesn't look to boney/skinny from the side/profile view.

Last edited:

grapevine

I can so relate to this and dealing just like what you are dealing with.

Im so sick of falling to pieces from images in my mind of how I look. You are not alone.
At the moment I am trying to read alot on how I can help myself. There is a BDD section on here in the OCD section of the forum also I dont know if this is appropriate but this is what Im reading atm http://www.2knowmyself.com/self_body_image/improving_self_image

Also if you are on Facebook there is a good BDD help group on there - its a closed group btw. It helps to know that other people are going through just the same as you and where you can vent with likely quick responses.

Also on Youtube there is the BDD foundation lectures that can really help too .
Take care..xx

State_Of_Trance

Sorry to hear about that. For what it's worth, though, I think that "skinny" faces with prominent cheekbones and the like look awesome.

Moses199

I can so relate to this and dealing just like what you are dealing with.

Im so sick of falling to pieces from images in my mind of how I look. You are not alone.
At the moment I am trying to read alot on how I can help myself. There is a BDD section on here in the OCD section of the forum also I dont know if this is appropriate but this is what Im reading atm http://www.2knowmyself.com/self_body_image/improving_self_image

Also if you are on Facebook there is a good BDD help group on there - its a closed group btw. It helps to know that other people are going through just the same as you and where you can vent with likely quick responses.

Also on Youtube there is the BDD foundation lectures that can really help too .
Take care..xx

Has those strategies helped you? are you implanting other strategies too?
I havn't because I have other phobias/problems that I'm focusing on so I don't have time working on my body image issues.