More than social anxiety?

this_portrait

Lately I've been wondering if I have more than just severe social anxiety. Obviously, I tend to isolate myself and get nervous in social situations (which leads me to avoid them altogether sometimes). I've had trouble with even basic interactions and my social anxiety has even severed relationships (platonic and romantic). Many failed social situations and my own over-thinking have caused me to feel depressed at one time or another. I have a lot of the symptoms and they show, but there's one thing that makes me question if there's more than meets the eye.

And that something is the mood swings I tend to have. Or, the mood swings I used to have before I went on Prozac. I tended to have "freak-outs" where I would fly into a rage, and then I'd become depressed afterward, feeling guilty for acting the way I did. Most of the time I would have these freak-outs around my family or sometimes close friends. If someone irritated me at school, I'd lash out at them.

I find it a little strange how these mood swings manifested in the first place. Before I turned 13, I rarely had any problems with anger or sadness, however the anger did build up inside over the years (probably from being teased in school). After I turned 13, that's when the mood swings started, and for the first few teenage years, I could get violent. One time I went so far as to make an attempt to stab my cousin with a screwdriver because she kept irritating me to the point where it drove me up the wall. Luckily the fits of anger lessened in intensity as I got older, but once I turned 18, I started feeling more depressed. From there I turned into an emotional roller coaster. I didn't want to be direct with people for fear of conflict (social anxiety talking there), so I would act passive-aggressive towards people instead (my first 2 roommates and ex-boyfriend come to mind). A lot of times, this behavior could even be prompted by paranoid thoughts like, "Oh my God, what if I pissed _____ off?"

Has anyone ever gone through this (or something similar)? Do you think social anxiety is to blame for these crazy mood swings, or is there something that perhaps my therapist has overlooked?

Silatuyok

Yep. I get crazy mood swings, accompanied by intense irrational anger. It is part of my BPD. I'm not saying you have BPD, I'm just saying I can definitely relate!

JuiceB

I also have bad mood swings and flip out but normally I'm alone when they happen. I once cut my hand up from punching through the glass of a screen door and my grandmother's house. I will get into embarassing social situations that I can barely handle and later on when I'm alone the thoughts from that situation would pound over and over within my head. Sometimes it will just end with me feeling sad or lonely but other times I just pop.

I've had a lot of anger build-up over the years and not just from my stuttering problems. I was an awkward teenager who kept to himself for the most part because I didn't trust myself to be able to do anything that others might approve of. I was never moved by peer pressure or anything, I just didn't fit in with most others.

I also know that self-hatred is tied up in there somewhere. A guy once told me that I'm gonna grow to become a bitter old man. If I can't change myself and defeat this SA, develop better social skills and live a happy life I'm pretty sure he'd be right.

Lately I've been wondering if I have more than just severe social anxiety
For sure. I tend to view SA as just the tip-of-the-iceberg (ie the most visible part to others).

And that something is the mood swings I tend to have
Thinking back, i've always had pretty diabolical mood problems. But i never got violent, except when my brother once was teasing me once too often, & i was waving my pocketknife at him, while he was goading me to get him with it, moving his hand back & forth quickly, and i actually "connected" on one instance & made him bleed. That was when i was 10 or so. So my anger was for sure starting the build-up way back then, to manifest in my various temper tantrums & rage-attacks from then on, esp in my 20s.
And yes, my depression also kicked-in in my 20s.

Do you think social anxiety is to blame for these crazy mood swings, or is there something that perhaps my therapist has overlooked?
Personally i would tend to think its the other way around. I think that it all starts with our mood problems, and then develops into affecting our people relations, then we start fearing people interaction, get paranoid, develop SA, become avoidant, etc.

Dark angel

Hi! I can totally relate to what you are saying. I think is just a matter of good old fashion depression. I tend to have similar mood swings as you do. In fact, I had one yesterday. It didn't turn into an outburst or anything but I could notice that after I came home from some classes my attitude towards my family had change. And I didn't get to notice it quite well until I saw the look on their faces. They know when i'm not in a good mood so they look at me and put on some suspicous faces. So I just left them alone and retire quitely to my room in order to not have an outrage towards them for no reason.

this_portrait

Recently I typed in Google "social anxiety disorder mood swings" and some very short articles popped up talking about social anxiety in relation to Bipolar II (Bipolar Disorder without the manic episodes). One of them talked about "confidence swings," where the person will have moments of feeling confident and social, but then they suddenly revert back to their anxious selves. This was the short article: Social anxiety and bipolar disorder

MarionBerry

Recently I typed in Google "social anxiety disorder mood swings" and some very short articles popped up talking about social anxiety in relation to Bipolar II (Bipolar Disorder without the manic episodes). One of them talked about "confidence swings," where the person will have moments of feeling confident and social, but then they suddenly revert back to their anxious selves. This was the short article: Social anxiety and bipolar disorder

Since I've now been on meds for my BP II for a year now, I can say with certainty that my social anxiety is directly related to my mood swings. Like the article said, at some parts of my life I was really "yeah! Let's go do stuff!" and joined clubs, moved cities, actually participated in life (what my dr. calls hypomania). And then the depressed parts started and I isolated again. Go get yourself checked out. I think a lot of people with SA and SP have mood disorders. And that's OK!