Meetup in Paris [Nope, I am not advertising anything]

I've recently been introduced to an application called Meetup, that allows its users to find a certain group of people with common interests (Sports, Cuisine, Languages...etc) and everyone would meet up at a café or a public place.

I am tempted to try it out, to improve my spoken English, but what makes me reluctant is the idea of coming across a bunch of hipsters, I hate hipsters:mad:

What do you think?

So you moved then, how are things going? Good luck avoiding hipsters in Paris. :p

Hello Louco, yeah it's my third week in Paris / Versailles, things are going well, I haven't made any friends, but I am spending my days outside more than I did in my country, I am discovering many new foods : cheeses, beef jеrкy, almond milk, duck meat...etc

Halal/Kosher or not, I don't care, as long as it doesn't contain pork / alcohol, it suits me just fine.

Gonna enrol in my university's full-contact karaté course, just for the hell of roughing up frenchies lol, and maybe making new acquaintances in the process.

Louco

Hello Louco, yeah it's my third week in Paris / Versailles, things are going well, I haven't made any friends, but I am spending my days outside more than I did in my country, I am discovering many new foods : cheeses, beef jеrкy, almond milk, duck meat...etc

Sounds awesome. :D

Halal/Kosher or not, I don't care.

ABSOLUTELY HARAM! :p

That would be fine with the more reasonable among both crowds, I guess.

Gonna enrol in my university's full-contact karaté course, just for the hell of roughing up frenchies lol, and maybe making new acquaintances in the process.

lol I didn't know they had martial arts courses on european colleges, interesting.

nodejesque

I've recently been introduced to an application called Meetup, that allows its users to find a certain group of people with common interests (Sports, Cuisine, Languages...etc) and everyone would meet up at a café or a public place.

I am tempted to try it out, to improve my spoken English, but what makes me reluctant is the idea of coming across a bunch of hipsters, I hate hipsters:mad:

What do you think?

I have used that app to meet new people. I usually focus on book clubs, or art stuff. But you should definitely do it. I was so nervous, and I still do get nervous, but for the times when I want to do something with no pressure to stay... It works great.

I think hipsters are unavoidable, to be honest. But they usually leave if there are no other hipsters.

lol I didn't know they had martial arts courses on european colleges, interesting.

I think I didn't express myself well, it's doesn't have anything to do with my studies.

I have used that app to meet new people. I usually focus on book clubs, or art stuff. But you should definitely do it. I was so nervous, and I still do get nervous, but for the times when I want to do something with no pressure to stay... It works great.

I think hipsters are unavoidable, to be honest. But they usually leave if there are no other hipsters.

I am nervous too right now, if I feel ill at ease, I couldn't allow myself to leave right away, that would be rude.

I pay 40€ for 10 sessions , 1hour each Friday (during lunch break)

Last edited:
There's a socially anxious meet up group in my city, maybe there's a Paris one?

I've tried out typing something related to that in the research field. Nothing came up :-(

tried the keyword "shy" as well

Last edited:

nodejesque

Try different topics, jungle. I just attended an art one last night. It had about 20 participants. I didn't make friends, but for those two hours I relaxed and at least interacted with other people. I am really glad I went.

nodejesque

I think that anxiety, depression, or shyness... Those are difficult groups to organize because of the stigma attached. Not impossible... But definitely more challenging. Explore other options to get around that. Hobbies, arts, just anything that is within reason to your capabilities.
I think you'd be more successful.

I think that anxiety, depression, or shyness... Those are difficult groups to organize because of the stigma attached. Not impossible... But definitely more challenging. Explore other options to get around that. Hobbies, arts, just anything that is within reason to your capabilities.
I think you'd be more successful.

Great idea nodejesque, I want to do something new FFS! some groups don't even have any particular subjects, just hanging out among expats...etc
I can hardly see myself as a painter or a musician though, I suck at that, I can already picturing people calling me "Picasso" or "Mozart" sarcastically.
Always worth trying out still.

I am going to enrol myself in my university's Russian speaking activity, 1 hour a week. (for about 60€ a year) In addition to full contact karaté that I'll be starting in two days.

nodejesque

That sounds like a good one^.

Jungle, even if its not something you'd normally choose, it may open more opportunities to meet people. I am going to a vegan meetup on Saturday. I am not vegan nor intend to become vegan. But maybe I can meet new people whom share other interests with me, and learn something along the way.

Its tentative. I am PLANNING on going. Mentally preparing myself for it. This helps me. Especially if its a topic outside of my comfort zone.

Getting back home from my first meetup, outside of Paris, we were only 3 but that was rather good.

Met with a russian person that is eager to improve her french, turns out I am eager to improve my russian too, so we mutually helped each other.

I am glad I made the first step, finally FFS!