Meeting people on a trail

hippiechild

This is one of the more awkward situations that I run into, one of the few that I can't even visualize doing correctly.

So I'm walking on a trail and spot someone coming down the trail towards me, probably 60 meters away. We both see each other walking towards each other. I don't know how to greet someone like this. I feel like we've already acknowledged each other by the time we are at 30 meters...and we still have another 26 meters until we are within natural talking distance.

Like... we both look at the other while at 40 meters and wave....then we can either stare at each other until we come within talking distance(the talking will amount to "hey" or "nice day eh?") or ignore them and pay attention to the trees/ground/sky until we come together(feels ridiculous).
Once we are close enough to talk, we might say "hello" and continue. After such a long "silent conversation" that seems so awkward.

This also applies to walking down a long hallway with one person coming the other way and nobody else around. I didn't explain this very well, but I'm sure someone knows what I mean :?
Does anyone have a solution sheet for this? I can tell that the people walking towards me also feel the same way, awkward.

RedRibbons

lol that happens to me at work all the time. I hate it. Cause I see these people all the time, but when it comes to that.. I feel so awkward.. and end up smiling like a dork, or looking away, at something else. They do the same. Because it's true.. You notice them long before you are in that talking distance. It's weird too, to say hi to this person when you see them like... 10 times a day.. You say HI every time? I don't know. AWKWARD!

I know exactly what you mean. It happens to me just about every day at college on the long walk from the parking lot to class.

What I do is I acknowledge them when I first notice them with a quick glance. I see the other person often doing the same. After that I don't look or stare at them, I usually look at something else or stare straight ahead if they aren't directly in front of me. Sometimes I will check my watch, get out a piece of gum, or pull out my phone or something.

Of course that's for complete strangers. Now if it's someone you sort of know, that makes it different, a lot more awkward and difficult for me at least.

Kien

RedRibbons said:
lol that happens to me at work all the time. I hate it. Cause I see these people all the time, but when it comes to that.. I feel so awkward.. and end up smiling like a dork,
Pretty girls can not look dorky.

Iseesky

Ugh...this happens to me everyday at school with teachers. There are certain teachers I've had in the past that I never say 'hello' to and I see them in the hallways and it's weird. Normally, I'm the first to notice them. You have to be able to quickly glance up for a second, scan the area, and be able to tell who is in front of you. Once you see that there's someone coming...you start to 'fiddle' around with something. I always have a binder with me, so I zip open part of my binder and adjust the paper. But, if you don't have anything on you, just pull out whatever you have in a pocket and 'examine' it until either they pass, or you are in a safe distance to quickly say hi. If you have absolutely NOTHING on you...look at your nails! Pretend to chip some of the nailpolish or something. It works! I always get the 'hey, you didn't even notice me! Haha...' line.

Zarrix

I cannot stand meeting people I know on a trail. So awkard. Even certain people I don't know I hate trailing too.

I often get my phone out of my pocket, or look all over the place, anywhere but at the actual person. It feels horrible when you walk past them, even if they do say hello. It is so fucking obvious that you have seen them though, it makes you look like a snob and/or an idiot.

feffer

Like... we both look at the other while at 40 meters and wave....

Hmm, I've never had anyone wave at me from a distance, at least not strangers. I don't think there's much else to do besides what you've described though. It's a prescribed situation, people will act in the same ways almost all the time and there's not much meaning behind it. You can't really have a conversation, so, all there's to do is walk and find something to look at. All you can really change is the way you feel about it (sadly more difficult).

I just pretend to not notice them until the crucial moment, or to notice on a very superficial level, such as pretending to be deep in thought. Then make brief eye contact (or not) and say hi when they're just about to pass.

2Crowded

My Dad always tells me "If someone is staring at you & it's bugging you..stare right back at them until the realise it & become uncomfortable & look away themselves"

Silly huh? :lol: