Meditation and breathing exercises

lou27

Hi,

I just wondered whether anyone has tried meditation or breathing exercises to reduce anxiety and reduce blushing?

I've heard that if someone practises some sort of relaxation method, then it may be beneficial against things like 'the fear of embarrassing yourself and blushing', which is what I suffer from!

Thanks,

Lou27

tgates209

Hi,

I just wondered whether anyone has tried meditation or breathing exercises to reduce anxiety and reduce blushing?

I've heard that if someone practises some sort of relaxation method, then it may be beneficial against things like 'the fear of embarrassing yourself and blushing', which is what I suffer from!

Thanks,

Lou27

I do and it absolutely has benefited me. I find more situations that would normally make me blush don't occur when I regularly practice meditation or NLP (neuro-linguistic programming)

sullyS25

Meditation and breathing has really helped me. I would recommend it to anyone but I would also say that you must be motivated and stick with it to see results.

JCVA

I have a hard time focusing when I meditate. How do you keep thoughts from coming up?

sullyS25

I have a hard time focusing when I meditate. How do you keep thoughts from coming up?

You don't "keep thoughts from coming up" that isn't what meditation is about. After practicing it for a while you may get to the point where you cease to think but that isn't what it is about.

Meditation is about observing the thoughts you have without judging them or pursuing them....just observing them as the come and pass. It is about concentrating on the present moment, on your breath and everything that is going on around you during the present moment. The feeling of your body on the chair or the ground, the movement of your belly or chest with every in and out breath and on and on....there are plenty of books to help you as well.

If I sit down with the intent to stop think the one thing I am going to do is think. Telling myself not to think will result in me thinking.

Hoppy

Relaxation is just as much work as exercise, since you have to teach your body how to react.

Put aside some time twice a day and practice.

JCVA

You don't "keep thoughts from coming up" that isn't what meditation is about. After practicing it for a while you may get to the point where you cease to think but that isn't what it is about.

Meditation is about observing the thoughts you have without judging them or pursuing them....just observing them as the come and pass. It is about concentrating on the present moment, on your breath and everything that is going on around you during the present moment. The feeling of your body on the chair or the ground, the movement of your belly or chest with every in and out breath and on and on....there are plenty of books to help you as well.

If I sit down with the intent to stop think the one thing I am going to do is think. Telling myself not to think will result in me thinking.

haha I got it entirely wrong then. Thanks for the info.

Shenmue

I haven't had much luck with the breathing exercises. Maybe I was doing it wrong. You would think after breathing 2300 times a day I would have mastered it by now.
I did come across a post the other day on buddhist meditation. I haven't tried it myself but it sounds very zen. I guess if I fail to achieve enlightenment through self loathing then I might give it a try.

The first step to meditation is correct breathing. We will start with the Buddhist breathing technique. Buddhist breathing- Place your tongue on the roof of the mouth. Breathe slowly and deeply through the nose expanding the stomach when you inhale. Hold this position for about four or five seconds. Next slowly exhale the breath over a span of four seconds while returning your stomach back to normal. Beginning Meditation- Now that you know how to Breath correctly it is important to find a place where you can be alone. It is important that you are not interrupted during these learning stages of Meditation. This is because the untrained mind is easily distracted. Although this is now a factor it will not be a problem shortly after you have successfully finished these guides. Next set comfortably on the floor. So, that you are not bothered by irritations like a hard floor you may set on a pillow or cushion. The matter of how you set does not matter; lotus, crossed, etc., but you should always keep your shoulders loose and your back strait. This is so your weight is on your hips as oppose to carrying it on your shoulders. Now that you are comfortable, you may close your Eyes and Begin. While using the Buddhist breathing technique concentrate on positive aspects in your life. I suggest meditating for at least 7 minutes. To some people that may seem like a long time to spend but it is worth it. You should do this at least four times a week for proper results. After this period of meditation you can expect to feel more relaxed, healthier, and awake.

doesit

try meditating when your at work giving a meeting with beet red face :D
sports meditation,healthy diet helps,but remember it will never cure your condition because its all in the brain and the way they are wired,some instinct from many million years ago that still shows in us,that makes us feel like we are in danger fight or flight mode,that's all

Rawz

I have been meditating a little bit off and on for a few years. Lately though I have been trying to meditate at least once a day for at least 10 minutes. It really relaxes me. It takes away a lot of anxiety while I am doing it and clears my head some. It doesn't take long for anxiety, depression, etc to come back to me once I stop though.