Married to a Narcissist

daisydaydreamz

Hi.
I wasn't too sure where to post this. I have AvPD, so this seems as good a place as any.
I met a man 10 years ago who seemed to be the man of my dreams. To cut a long story short after a whirlwind romance we got married. He was helpful around the house, good with my 2 little ones and we both enjoyed shared interests.
Very gradually, I'm not even sure when as it was SO gradual things began to turn sour. I won't go into detail as young people read these posts, but he began to get me to push my boundaries regarding sexual behaviour. In particular, exhibitionism. He liked me to dress provocatively, and would take me out to pubs like that, so other men could look at me. It went way beyond what I was comfortable with. If I refused and dressed in a way I felt comfortable, even if it was in a way most people would view as subtly sexy, I might as well have been invisible to him. He also liked to go out at night with me and have me take off my clothes in parks etc and take pictures.

At the start it was just a small part of what was a pretty ''normal'' life. But over time he changed and became moody and sulky. His tolerance levels in regard to the children dropped, so that we were all walking on eggshells around him. He was always negative, miserable and critical. He never noticed anything good anybody did and never gave praise. I soon learnt that the only way to make him happy was to indulge him with the ''naughty stuff''. However, the period of time in which he was actually happy was becoming shorter and shorter. In the end I told him I wasn't prepared to do it anymore. He has since emotionally withdrawn, and has told me he doesn't love me, and that it's my fault because I led him to believe I was into the same stuff he was, when in fact I was only doing it to please him. We kept rowing, going round in circles, knowing something was badly wrong with our relationship but being unable to fix it.

I had become so wrapped up in trying to please my husband that it would be fair to say I've ''lost myself'' along the way. I feel numb to the core, exhausted and apathetic. Thankfully just a few days ago I was looking online at ''people who can't feel love'', trying to find an answer and I discovered that my husband is a Narcissist! He isn't so bad as to meet the criteria for NPD, but he has many of the traits. Furthermore I discovered that I myself am something known as ''co-dependent''. I am drawn to damaged people, and devote myself entirely to trying to ''fix'' them. I even realised I've done the same thing before in previous relationships.

I have started counselling, just one session so far. All I've done as yet is outline the problem. I have a long way to go. I will try to ''fix'' myself, my husband sadly is most likely unfixable. This is without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with in my life. I have to somehow find the strength to leave a man who despite everything was... is... and probably always will be the love of my life.

I feel really sad for you. I wish you luck. I think you are doing right. all the best. Things will be fine, one day. I hope you start feeling better soon.

laure15

That's sad to hear. You and your husband should probably see a marriage counselor to work this out.

mikebird

Banned
Anyone been part of a family involving divorce or any type of separation?

I actually know very few friends who know of ANY stable couples AT ALL

coyote

from my experience, nothing about divorce is simple

but, perhaps the third time is the charm

daisydaydreamz

Thanks for the advice and support. You're right Coyote, there is nothing simple about divorce... I've already been through one!

I am trying to be strong and hold it together for the sake of my kids. I feel better now at least I can identify what was so badly wrong with my marriage.

Where we currently live is jointly owned and the kids have friends close by and I don't wish to uproot them.

I now need to get my finances sorted and bide my time until I can get myself out of this situation

nicole1

You deserve happiness, as well as your children. I hope you can find your way away from him before he hurts you further.

rosewood

I am so sorry to hear of your torment. he is an abuser, you need to get away. I have been married and divorced from the same.

the feelings of happiness with them are in fact an illusion because what they describe as love for you is not love but mere words of manipulation before the storm of lies and deceit and control comes. over and over again, because it is always a cycle.

this is what a narcissist does. if you get to a domestic violence support group it may help, because you will hear from lots of other women the same exact stories. it will validate and strengthen you. you deserve that type of support if you can manage it.

narcissists do not get better. one of their symptom components is compulsive lying. people who engage in this behavior almost never seek treatment to improve themselves.

I am so sorry for the torment he has put you through as well as your children. my heart goes out to you and yours.

OceanMist

If he's pushing you to do something you don't want to then you should get out of the relationship. Marriage is about unselfish love, not narcissism.