Losing weight.

Amitush123

Bmi is a range. :confused: its quite a broad range of what a healthy weight is for your height. Falling inside BMI will not make you anorexic. Like I said its quite broad eg my bmi range is

129lbs -174lbs

or

58.5kg - 78.9 kg

Thats leaves a good bit of room to maneuver
Yeah, the BMI is very inaccurate, I'm about 182 cm (6 feet) and weigh 79 kg (
174), and although that according to the bmi chart I'm barely manage to escape over-weight, I look a bit skinny. Although that belly fat is damn annoying..

Amitush123

Weighed myself this morning and I only lost 0.4kg (14.1oz) since last week. I didn't really do anything differently as I normally would. It's a disappointing result but I can't just think of it as the result I got last week, but an overall weight loss.

I'm down to an even 84kg (185.2lb) now. That's pretty good.

Diet has it's ups and downs, don't give up!
Also, once you get thinner, the weight loss might reduce, as you have less fat, so you burn less calories..

MikeyC

Bmi is a range. :confused: its quite a broad range of what a healthy weight is for your height. Falling inside BMI will not make you anorexic. Like I said its quite broad eg my bmi range is

129lbs -174lbs

or

58.5kg - 78.9 kg

Thats leaves a good bit of room to maneuver
I was being a little exaggerating when I said I would be anorexic, but I would be very thin. I'm not worrying about BMI, anyway.

Diet has it's ups and downs, don't give up!
Also, once you get thinner, the weight loss might reduce, as you have less fat, so you burn less calories..
Thanks, mate. :) I've still got some belly I'd like to tell to take a hike, but losing weight does ebb and flow.

I'm coming to terms with it, actually. I even bought a little bit of ice cream for later. ;)

Amitush123

I was being a little exaggerating when I said I would be anorexic, but I would be very thin. I'm not worrying about BMI, anyway.

Thanks, mate. :) I've still got some belly I'd like to tell to take a hike, but losing weight does ebb and flow.

I'm coming to terms with it, actually. I even bought a little bit of ice cream for later. ;)

You are wise, no need to starve in order to lose weight,,,I just hope that it's not low - calories ice scream,,?

MikeyC

You are wise, no need to starve in order to lose weight,,,I just hope that it's not low - calories ice scream,,?
True that. I'm still eating chocolate and cakes and pizza - you know, all the really good stuff. ;)

No way. Chocolate infused chocolate with more chocolate!!

Amitush123

True that. I'm still eating chocolate and cakes and pizza - you know, all the really good stuff. ;)

No way. Chocolate infused chocolate with more chocolate!!

Can't argue with that :) I eat a one pizza every week, and then fight the entire week to lose the calories, only to repeat it the next weekend..the cycle of life :cool:

TheTemp

Okay I'm starting my diet as of today! I'll use this thread for my updates. I plan on losing 10 kilos. That's 20 pounds. By spring of next year.

Ok I have to say something. There's definitely misinformation about BMI floating around.

BMI is important, it is necessary tool in measuring peoples weights are within the healthy range. It isn't just a silly old outdated guide, it is the recommendations of the World Health Organisation to combat the obesity epidemic which kills tens of millions each year. Forget vanity, this is about what is a safe level of fat for people to have. It works both ways. People who are below the recommended BMI need to address that as much as people over their recommended BMI. As I exampled earlier BMI is actually quite generous. My own range gives me about 35 lbs to manoeuvre. Above the recommended BMI places you at either overweight or obese which is dangerous (again, not about vanity, about health) and under the recommended BMI places you at underweight which is also dangerous. BMI is a very important tool in identifying health risks.

WHO | Mean Body Mass Index (BMI)

Amitush123

Ok I have to say something. There's definitely misinformation about BMI floating around.

BMI is important, it is necessary tool in measuring peoples weights are within the healthy range. It isn't just a silly old outdated guide, it is the recommendations of the World Health Organisation to combat the obesity epidemic which kills tens of millions each year. Forget vanity, this is about what is a safe level of fat for people to have. It works both ways. People who are below the recommended BMI need to address that as much as people over their recommended BMI. As I exampled earlier BMI is actually quite generous. My own range gives me about 35 lbs to manoeuvre. Above the recommended BMI places you at either overweight or obese which is dangerous (again, not about vanity, about health) and under the recommended BMI places you at underweight which is also dangerous. BMI is a very important tool in identifying health risks.

WHO | Mean Body Mass Index (BMI)
No douנt. However, it is very basic and not very accurate, therefore should not be the only tool. One example - muscles or fat? BMI gives no answer.

although that according to the bmi chart I'm barely manage to escape over-weight, I look a bit skinny. Although that belly fat is damn annoying..

I have the same problem the fat all collects around my middle. Its actually a genetic inheritance. Some people carry it evenly dispersed and some on their thighs or legs or hips and some around the middle. Scientifically it is those of us who carry it mainly around their middle who need to be the most careful as abdominal fat is actually more dangerous. (Excessive that is, everybody needs fat to protect vital organs)

And some types of medication can actually redistribute fat so that it collects in areas it wouldn't usually. Eg medical steroids (like the ones used for severe asthma) redistributes fat to the neck and abdomen and away from the legs and arms. People on this kind of treatment frequently have a swollen abdomen and neck and thin arms and legs.

but belly fat in particular is the one to watch

Is belly fat more dangerous to our health? – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

(Sorry lol going off on a rant about this, the weight this is an issue close to my own heart I've been trying to lose steroid weight for over a year and made a lot of progress and done a lot of research and my ideal weight is actually around bmi 19 which is what I always naturally weighed prior to medical weight gain of nearly 70lbs)

Last edited:
No douנt. However, it is very basic and not very accurate, therefore should not be the only tool. One example - muscles or fat? BMI gives no answer.

That's an interesting point. I imagine that if your high in muscle, your low in fat which brings your weight down so that the muscle weight balances out a bit. I think thats why the range is 30-40lbs for most people.

Unused muscle turns to fat so its unlikely that somebody would have high levels of both long term. (because if their using their muscles they're burning fat) Thats just my guess though and I'm not an expert on muscle, I more know about fat lol. There are a few weight lifters on spw who will be able to answer this though. I'm sure somebody will pick this one up.

In any case, if you're a bodybuilder you don't need to use BMI because you clearly won't be overweight or underweight which is what the tool is used for.

And again, the tool recommended by the WHO, they literally set the world standard. I'd say it's pretty accurate (for people who need it...which isn't going to be bodybuilders)

Amitush123

I have the same problem the fat all collects around my middle. Its actually a genetic inheritance. Some people carry it evenly dispersed and some on their thighs or legs or hips and some around the middle. Scientifically it is those of us who carry it mainly around their middle who need to be the most careful as abdominal fat is actually more dangerous. (Excessive that is, everybody needs fat to protect vital organs)

And some types of medication can actually redistribute fat so that it collects in areas it wouldn't usually. Eg medical steroids (like the ones used for severe asthma) redistributes fat to the neck and abdomen and away from the legs and arms. People on this kind of treatment frequently have a swollen abdomen and neck and thin arms and legs.

but belly fat in particular is the one to watch

Is belly fat more dangerous to our health? – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

(Sorry lol going off on a rant about this, the weight this is an issue close to my own heart I've been trying to lose steroid weight for over a year and made a lot of progress and done a lot of research and my ideal weight is actually around bmi 19 which is what I always naturally weighed prior to medical weight gain of nearly 70lbs)
I loved the part where my parents are to blame :D

That's an interesting point. I imagine that if your high in muscle, your low in fat which brings your weight down so that the muscle weight balances out a bit. I think thats why the range is 30-40lbs for most people.

Unused muscle turns to fat so its unlikely that somebody would have high levels of both long term. (because if their using their muscles they're burning fat) Thats just my guess though and I'm not an expert on muscle, I more know about fat lol. There are a few weight lifters on spw who will be able to answer this though. I'm sure somebody will pick this one up.

In any case, if you're a bodybuilder you don't need to use BMI because you clearly won't be overweight or underweight which is what the tool is used for.
Yes, it appears my muscles have disguised themselves as fat..my body is amazing!

Yes, it appears my muscles have disguised themselves as fat..my body is amazing!

When people are starting in the gym you often hear it that they 'feel' the muscle but can't 'see' muscle. People can literally have a very well defined six pack that they can't see because it's hidden under belly fat. That's why cardio is so important, it doesn't matter what kind of cardio you do, what muscles your working, it burns the fat from everywhere not just the area your working.If you wanted to get a six pack you could do all the sit ups in the world but you wont see anything until you burn the fat away.

(or we could all just get one of those aprons with the six packs painted on :D)

Amitush123

When people are starting in the gym you often hear it that they 'feel' the muscle but can't 'see' muscle. People can literally have a very well defined six pack that they can't see because it's hidden under belly fat. That's why cardio is so important, it doesn't matter what kind of cardio you do, what muscles your working, it burns the fat from everywhere not just the area your working.If you wanted to get a six pack you could do all the sit ups in the world but you wont see anything until you burn the fat away.

"I'm not fat, that's how my abs look like ::p:"

MikeyC

That's why cardio is so important, it doesn't matter what kind of cardio you do, what muscles your working, it burns the fat from everywhere not just the area your working.If you wanted to get a six pack you could do all the sit ups in the world but you wont see anything until you burn the fat away.
I have heard that it doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do, whether it's cardio or weights, as long as you have an elevated heart rate, you will be burning fat. Your body doesn't know the difference between the various workouts you're doing and only knows the heart rate increase.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Feel free to disagree.

This'll be my eventual solution. ;)

well abs-olutely (hehe) if lifting weights raises your heart rate and keeps it elevated then that is a form of cardio, cardio is anything that lifts your heart rate to 50-75% of its maximum ( depending on age etc)

"I'm not fat, that's how my abs look like ::p:"

:confused:Eh, I didn't mean 'you' as in 'Amitush' I just meant 'you' as in general plural, everyone. (I especially wouldn't say you as in Amitush because I don't know you, I think you're new on the forum, anyway sorry I didn't mean 'you')