Looking for answers or possible encouragement?

Errordotocx

Hello everyone. Most of you here probably really don't know or remember me much at all because I rarely post on here. I visit from time to time and read a little but I don't stick around much mainly because reading the many sad stories on here day in an day out had more of a negative effect on me than a positive. You know the whole "Those you surround yourself with" thing. Kinda like that.

Anyways, since my original post back last February I have came quite far since then. Back about a year ago I was in somewhat of a dark time of my life. Was looking for answer and where to go. I have since then been able to get somewhat of a grip and control my Anxiety and Shyness to an extent and am working every day to further distance myself even more. Although I come to you all again not sure what to do where I am at and am looking for maybe a couple of answers from a few of you and maybe a little encouragement if you are willing to provide. :D

To start this off I will say that back towards the end of November I once again hit a somewhat of a dark time in my life. With college semester ending, moving out of my apartment....etc. Life and things around me were changing quite rapidly and I become amazingly stressed, sad and angry with myself and those around me. From there I entered a month and a half of a spiral of extreme depression and sadness. In which I endured one of the worst mentally painful days my entire life. This bad spell seemed to come to a screeching halt when I began my new semester in college. Only being able to take a couple of classes right now I chose to try my luck in Psychology and Nutrition. Psychology mainly because during the past year I have become increasingly interested in mental disorders, thoughts and just how we think and perceive things. As far as the Nutrition class goes I mainly have an interest because of the more healthy and active life I chose to pursue several years back.

Anyways, and I have seem to got off the real reason why I wrote this, as some of you might know I have never had much luck with girls. My shyness and spots of anxiety have always seemed to really **** me over when I least need them too. The first day in my Nutrition class, everything is going as planned and for some reason I am in an unusual happy mood. A few minutes before class begins a rather attractive girl walks in the door and all I can think to myself is "wow...not gonna lie, shes pretty cute". Then even though there are plenty of open seats anywhere in the class she comes up to me and asks if I would mind if she sat next too me. Of course I said I had no problem at all. Of course class went on with an introduction of the class...etc, you know first day stuff. Nearing the end of class we we're asked to pick someone to exchange information with so everyone could get more acquainted with one another. Since we were sitting by each other I guess we just naturally decided to pair up. As we went through the topics we were asked to discussed we had a few laughs and she seemed at least somewhat interested about me and things I had to say which is extremely rare for me because I can honestly say I usually find it hard to connect with anyone at all, especially girls around my age. Being me I found myself of course shy and all but I felt like I was able to kind of be open with her about stuff and although I was getting obliterated by anxiety I felt for one of the few times in my life on the same level with the person I was talking with and I actually felt pleased and happy.

This little happening, THIS little small event set me on an extreme happiness high for the two weeks following. Every day was better than the next and from there I found myself unusually talkative an open to everyone around me. The week follow this event we didn't have class because of MLK day. So like I said the good time I was having just kept going. As today rolled around I was ready for class as I wanted to see where I could take it to here. For once I saw this as maybe a chance for me to conquer one of the hardest things in my life. Getting to class I found myself not saying anything or making any eye contact at all and to make matters worse we ended up shifting class down to an auditorium in which she decided to go sit alone and I didn't pursue. For ME, this is an extreme setback and as I sit here writing this I find it hard to forgive myself for not further getting acquainted with her as I intended. Although I can honestly say we really don't know each other and it is only the second day of class I can't help but feel like I am losing control of the situation already. It almost makes me sound like a creeper and obsessive with the way I am describing all this. But i've been single for my entire life thus far..."nearly 23 years" and I am so sick of having no one and being so completely and utterly lonely. I am aware that the only way I am going to succeed is by taking a few chances and just trying for things no matter the results. But like I said it is rare for someone to have interest in me and as my friend told me after class..."there is always next class", "you can always try again next time" and while I do agree with him my life so far as been full of these "next times" and "try agains". What I am looking for here this time around is hopefully some answers, opinions and possible encouragement from some of you. I want to here what you have to say. Maybe i'm blowing this way out of proportion. But if there is a chance that I could take this somewhere I would very much like to pursue it as much as possible and this little incident has put a rather large dent in my view of the situation thus far.

But anyways. Sorry for writing the Novel of a post. But I just HAD to get this off my chest as it was about to drive me out of my mind and I really don't want to be drawn back into depression because of such event. It's already happened way too many times in the past. I am really looking forward to what you all have to say.

Thanks. ;)

Krista

Oh you're simply the best. Thank you for showing everyone what a glimpse of happiness looks like. I would write a long response but my advice has been sucked dry today..I did enjoy reading this though and I completely understand how you're feeling and exactly what you're saying about losing control of the situation.

Kat

Yeah, you definitely need to take a chance on this maybe get her email at least. That could be why she sat somewhere else, to see if you would chase her. And if it doesn’t work it will give you practice in being assertive until the right one bites. Best of luck.

Yeah, a relationship is a give-and-take; maybe she felt that since she took the initiative the first time it was your turn to. If she sits away from you again, go sit next to her! If she acted interested in what you had to say, she probably was. :)

Errordotocx

Thanks for the comments and replies so far. Last night I was fairly upset with not committing at trying to further getting acquainted. Although today at work I had some alone time to think about it and everything else over fairly thoroughly. I arrived at the conclusion that YEAH I did kind of failboat this time, but really there is always next time and I kind of review where I ****ed up, had a good laugh about it all and went on and my day has been going excellent since then. Can't let such a small mistake get in the way of my good mood. I mean it really isn't all that big of a deal....yet anyways. As long as I keep it together I GOT THIS. Optimism for the win?

But since I am here and I seem to be in the mood to write a billion paragraphs again I might as well bring something to attention in a rather declarative and questionative(is that a word? LOL)...way. That is the statement/question about laughter. Where I am going with this is that over my last period of depression I had through the month of December I had wondered why several of my friends were in such a good mood nearly all of the time and why is it when people are around them THEY seem to be put in a good mood as well. Other than them having a good personality it seems that they keep the laughter rolling throughout the day. I looked back on times that this happened and one of them when talking to a group of people or is in a discussion he seems to always laugh at stuff even if it's not completely funny, this seems to trigger smiles around the crowd they become more comfortable around him and eventually begin laughing as well. My second friend, although completely wasted, awhile back entertained an entire room full of people with his drunken laughter. While other conversations continued he would continue to giggle and laugh randomly and would set everyone off in a contagious laughter including myself and I couldn't help but to feel great after that. The third and final friend of my is a good friend of mine and when we are chilling we always end up laughing at one thing or another even if it doesn't make sense and what makes it even better is when he doesn't something extremely dumb or embarrassing he usually can't contain himself and ends up laughing to no end. I have noticed this phenomena myself these past few weeks as i've been in a good mood. I found that keeping a good humor throughout the entire day, having a good laugh and even though that mistakes hurt; laughing at them as well has really kept my mood very very good. I also noticed that I too posses this ability to put others around me in a good mood and make them more comfortable around me. I have actually made a few friends over the past few weeks because of it. There were of course a couple of times I had a few drinks in me to get me going but it seems laughter is what has strung this all together as I had been mentioned to several times that me just having an amazing time and laughing through it all made it contagious and they themselves couldn't help but have a good time as well. I noticed this as well with the girl that sat next to me the first day of nutrition class. That day like I said I was in a rather good mood already and throughout the class period the teacher was making some dumb/stupid jokes as she went through explaining the class but I couldn't help it but to kind of giggle and laugh at them. By the end of the class the girl next to me as well as my friend on the other side were laughing as well.

Really, what I am getting at is could laughter be considered a natural remedy for brining you out of feeling down or depressed? I need to do some research around the nets but I have always heard that when you laugh it's like a natural happiness medicine. What I would like some of you to do here is if possible try this yourself. If you can get yourself into a fairly good mood to start the day off try to end it with just laughing till there is no end. Watching something funny that you know you can't keep from laughing at, maybe laugh or make fun of your mistakes you might make. Just laugh at anything possible and see where it takes you. Then the next day repeat as much as possible. I would like to hear from some of you if you believe in this as I do. Because after giving it some though I am starting to become a firm believer that just YOU laughing can really put you and everyone else around you in a better mood which will make them as you more willing to open up or become comfortable with your presence.

Thanks again for any comments or replies left here. I couldn't help but to ask this question as it keeps coming up and I have been wanting to share it with people.

Good luck. :D

Laughing is really very helpful. Honestly one of the brightest parts of my day is seeing my wife or best friends or even just random co-workers laughing with me during a conversation. I seem to have a pretty good ability to turn random ordinary stories into something funny or interesting. So when other people around me are smiling and laughing it puts me in a great mood too. Hard to be a downer when everyone's having a good time!