Living in a small town with SA your whole life (up to your mid 20's)

What would you do?

• I would move away eventually

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I would do anything it takes to move away ASAP

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I would stay and try to change, then move later

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I would stay and live on the outskirts (if I had no choice to live there)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I would stay and try to live there the rest of my life (different for everyone though)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

voodoochild16

Hey all, I've made a poll, which asks questions of what you would do if you lived in a small town up until your mid 20's, while going through SA.

voodoochild16

do i like the town?

Some people like their small towns because they get along with people well and, what else could make you like your town?. It's usually always the people. Most small towns, I hate right away if I picture myself living there. It's just not for me specifically, as for others with SA, I can strongly assume that they wouldn't like small towns they grew up in, or even moving to another small town that is completely new to them. Correct me if I am wrong. Or if I am wrong, then it's just your own unique opinion.

Odo

Banned
Small towns are HORRIBLE for SA.

If this is something you're doing because you're in that situation, I would recommend moving away ASAP. I grew up in a small town and they are infinitely worse than big cities for bullying by random strangers (who aren't total strangers)... ****y kids who think they own the town and whose parents don't raise them and let them do whatever they want.

And people run into each other all the time and more people know who you are and your family and such-- it's awful. I guess some people do well in that kind of thing but I found that there are more expectations and more pressure to socialize and just more general awfulness.

I moved away at the end of high school and things improved 1000%... the anxiety caught up to me eventually for different reasons but for a while it was the biggest relief of my life.

voodoochild16

do i like the town?

Small towns are HORRIBLE for SA.

If this is something you're doing because you're in that situation, I would recommend moving away ASAP. I grew up in a small town and they are infinitely worse than big cities for bullying by random strangers (who aren't total strangers)... ****y kids who think they own the town and whose parents don't raise them and let them do whatever they want.

And people run into each other all the time and more people know who you are and your family and such-- it's awful.

I moved away at the end of high school and things improved 1000%... the anxiety caught up to me eventually for different reasons but for a while it was the biggest relief of my life.

Thank you, that's what are readers needed. There is no question that I am right and you are right, it's a given, that small towns suck ***. Even a population of 10,000 is bad enough, the only way to make ends meet in living in a small town like this, is to resort to the outskirts, and you can guess everything else from there.

i dunno... i like small towns. i spent the first decade of my life in one. there wasn't much there, but it was alright, though. i might've hated it if i had to spend my teenage years there. since then i've lived in a couple small towns and a couple suburban/urban places. i preferred the small towns.

i guess, in a perfect world, i'd live on the edge of a small town that wasn't too far from a larger city. that way i could have my small town neighbors, but go into the city for the delicacies... such as a decent library.

Last edited:

voodoochild16

i dunno... i like small towns. there wasn't much there, but it was alright. i spent the first decade of my life in one, though. i might've hated it if i had to spend my teenage years there. since then i've lived in a couple small towns and a couple suburban/urban places. i preferred the small towns.

i guess, in a perfect world, i'd live on the edge of a small town that wasn't too far from a larger city. that way i could have my small town neighbors, but go into the city for the delicacies... such as a decent library.

That's the ideal thing to do, to actually live in a small town and be close to the bigger cities. That's where I plan on moving eventually, but for now am stuck in a small town surrounded by other small towns (seriously i hate it). I've been here my whole life, and I don't know what the hell the new people that move here are talking about in saying that "this place ain't so bad".

my advice for anyone would be to live some time in both. then you could decide which you prefer. i, in particular, like small towns more. i even like it enough to do without the "finer things".

hidwell

i dunno... i like small towns. i spent the first decade of my life in one. there wasn't much there, but it was alright, though. i might've hated it if i had to spend my teenage years there. since then i've lived in a couple small towns and a couple suburban/urban places. i preferred the small towns.

I didn't know people referred to Libraries as delicacies. :giggle:

hidwell

Living in a small town with SA with everybody knowing your business sounds like pure hell to me.

voodoochild16

I live in a town of 200 people. I never talk to any of them. I lived in a city of a million people. The same-never spoke a word. People suck no matter the place, or number.

One million, or one hundred.

They be suckin' :thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear that. That WOULD suck.

I lived in a big city as a child growing up, but now live in a small town. Its a little easier getting to know random people in a small town, if you recognise that they are local, its easy to go up and strike a conversation. That's if you're into doing that...if not then a small town isn't for you.

Like others have said though, people suck no matter where you go....I don't find my depression or anxiety is any less or more living in a small town, but I'd probably prefer the feeling of being a bigger fish in a small pond then a small fish in a big pond like I felt in the city.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I live in a town of 200 people. I never talk to any of them. I lived in a city of a million people. The same-never spoke a word. People suck no matter the place, or number.

One million, or one hundred.

They be suckin' :thumbup:

But how do you know they suck if you never talk to them?

I live in a very small town, a real countryside. I want to move away definitely. I want to be in a place where there's a better chance of finding a job, more socializing, and have more LGBT support groups, more fun communities and better activities around.

So yeah, I definitely WILL move away from here. don't know when because i'm a NEET (no job, no school) but one day..oh yeah

voodoochild16

But how do you know they suck if you never talk to them?

Sometimes it's just too damn difficult to even do that with SA.

I live in a very small town, a real countryside. I want to move away definitely. I want to be in a place where there's a better chance of finding a job, more socializing, and have more LGBT support groups, more fun communities and better activities around.

So yeah, I definitely WILL move away from here. don't know when because i'm a NEET (no job, no school) but one day..oh yeah

Yeah, I'll never understand someone who says they love their home town and never will move away. I think 90% of us think completely in the opposite way.

voodoochild16

Oh I have tried. They all suck. I am sorry to be the one who says this, but humans are the lowest form of life on the planet. I miss nothing by not having convos with them. I say this because I am someone who has tried both sides, been there done that.

I do think the people here are the exception to this.

I remember being outgoing and looking forward to talking to people every day. And in that moment of being around people, wanting to talk to them and doing that, was so much easier.

But now, it's a nightmare. And I just want to hide. I don't blame people themselves, but their ability to judge, be *******s to us because we're different, it's not right. But that's just the way the world is. So I agree, that people suck.