Living alone

Ladystardust

I live alone i have done for the last 10 yrs or so, in some ways i like it better, because i do not have the stress of other people with me. But i also feel it has made me more withdrawn. Would you rather be alone or with others even if it makes your anxiety worse?

DimBulb

I prefer to live alone. In fact i am living alone now. This is all fine and good as long as you can do things on your own. But as old age sets in, problems start to mount. So all people living alone (myself included) need to really game as to how they are going to face the music at the fag end of life. In fact, i think about this all the time, but have not figured out what exactly to do.

Last edited:

Ladystardust

Makes me feel better to know there are others out there who live alone to here some people talk every one just loves to be with other people! I do worry what will happen as i get older im ok as long as i do not get bored but that seems to happen a lot lately.

Last edited:

Sprunk

Makes me feel better to know there are others out there who live alone to here some people talk every one just loves to be with other people! I do worry what will happen as i get older im ok as long as i do not get bored but that seems to happen a lot lately.

I have been living alone for a while and I am still getting used to the idea.keeping busy is important doing things or it's easy to get lonely.Im finding it can be tough financially too.

Rot

I don't really know to reply that question.

I had three very different experiences: one where I lived alone and I became much more withdrawn; another one where I lived with another person and it was even worse because we didn't get on well and I felt even more withdrawn; and the last one where I lived with another 4 persons and it was really nice time, not just for me but for my anxiety (there were good and bad times but it was nice overall). In this last time I really improved in interpersonal relationships and I also learnt to get on well with other people.

I think it depends on which people you can live with. It can be a really nice time, you can improve with your anxiety, or it can be a real mess. Now I always choose depending of what I want: if I can get the risk, I live with others. If I don't want risks, then I'll go alone. But sometimes it's worth taking some risks.

Feathers

Oh, I wish I would be!! :)

I really liked some of my roommates and they taught me a lot, about people contact etc.
I liked the times when I was all alone too, felt very independent and such...

I was actually more sociable and more up to dating and partying and such... I feel like the stress of living with my parents just kinda makes me so tired often... And it's good to have the option of being alone or with people... (It's nice if you have some friends living near-by that you can visit or meet up with, etc.)

latte, I think there are pet-sitting services for pets, or any of your differently-employed friends or cat-sitters could help?

Tuukka40

i probably wouldn't have money for that luxury. and i have only one friend that i could ask something like that from and she doesn't live in my city.
thank you for advice though :)
i feel like it would be animal abuse to leave a cat alone in small apartment :\
she's already fat enough from not moving too much

Don't cats sleep like 18 hours a day anyway? lol

TaylorSwift'sHubby

Well for me, I decided at age 14 that I would be a loner, (no gf, no marriage, kids, etc.. ) just me when I have my own home and successful with a established career. So I prefer to live alone for the rest of my life, though I will work hard to try hard and maintain some kind of social outside

mikebird

Banned
Woooo Hooooo!

That's a big topic.

I'll never forget a time, ten years ago, that a friend told me "you don't wanna live like that" when my girlfriend just left me.

It haunts me.

We lived in shared, rented houses for years, in 4, 6 and 8-bedroom places. We moved to our own place because one person failed to pay rent and we all got chucked out. That was OK.

I was accused of wanting a new mortgage because it was just for me, and she didn't like it because it was too small. It was an investment - a world away from renting, into ownership.

I thought it was obvious, but I should have explained it a lot more!

I was making big bucks then, and the moment she left me led to an entire lack of success. If she stuck around, we'd have a bigger place in a few years...

I can't see a way beyond this dismal fate for me. I had some personal privacy, but it's not development. Not ready for this

NihilSlayer

I've been living alone for quite awhile; I suppose I prefer it... I have lived with two different girlfriends also, but I found my personality was very subordinate and receded when faced with the more dominant presence the girls exuded. Sometimes I find myself nostalgic for being able to eat with someone, doing household chores with someone(i let myself and my place go when I live alone), or even watching a movie with another person perhaps... For the most part, however, I prefer living alone because i am free to be my dysfunctional, messy, often apathetic self. And of course my perosnality has full reign in my abode. Room to breath and stretch its legs. Even if they are weak, spindley cancer-ridden legs....

HeadFace

I think the most I could handle is living with one other person/roommate. Right now I'm only 17 and live with my parents though.. I don't think I'd be any more withdrawn even if I lived by myself.

tovoxy

Right now I live with my parents, but soon I'm moving to another city, and I know some people whom i could live with, but I'm kind of stuck here.

I feel much better on my own, I can't stand seeing people 24/7, i need a LOT of private space.
And when i live with some other people, it really freaks me out, i want to escape somewhere, and I get the feeling I'm in a cage or something.

But on the other hand, living without people isn't really good for me either.
When I'm too long on my own I'm getting really depressed, i become much more withdrawn and also i start getting panic attacks, anxiety etc. I feel empty and alone.

So, i don't know what the best for me. But probably I'd prefer living on my own.

Kiwong

I've lived on my own for twenty six years. I can't imagine living with another person. Having neighbours sometimes is too much for me. I guess it does make it hard dealing with people, I don't get much practice.