Letting go of negativity

paperie

I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but do you ever have one of those days where you dwell on negative things others have said to you? Today is my day. I even had a dream last night about this one girl who was bitchy to me often in high school.

I just feel like I can never let things go. I hold grudges way longer than I should and it holds me back from feeling secure with myself. Negative comments haunt me over the years and I wish there was a way I could stop myself from thinking about it. I think part of the reason is that I always regret not standing up for myself and being timid. I dwell! I guess it is a part of life though :/

Just a little vent. :idontknow:

MikeyC

Negative comments hurt. They do. The issue is that we're quite sensitive and hold on to the negative.

It's not easy to let go, and it takes time, but it can happen. Or, at least, be lessened. :)

Barrier

Yes.I know both the negative comments and the grudges very well. Sometimes I have days that I can't stop thinking about them. It's tiring, but I don't know how to turn it around.

mikebird

Banned
I turn miseries into positive tears, thinking about what a great life I've had, and I know some people who are still alive.

I like to be in utter control of everything in my life.

Make an insurance claim, with no idea what will come of it, thinking someone's job will be to prevent me getting what I deserved, but when lucky, if feels so good, and I can spread that feeling around to others... to celebrate!

I wish I was the one in control of what I want. I hate the barricades who hold me back

Each day's different, and I like not just minute by minute - I think long-term - last month. Next year doesn't hold any prospect until some proposition.

Worth dwelling on the past about such good times.

Ummm... today, it's sunny :)

Agent_Violet

I have a tendency to hold grudges and to dwell on negative things that are said about me. The only thing that overrides that habit is doing my best to remember as long as I hold a grudge or dwell on negative comments,the longer that person/people gets to rent space in my head.
I have to ask myself "Do you want this person to take away your power over your own emotions and mind??" The answer is always no. When we hold grudges and dwell on negatives,that's what we're doing...we're letting someone else hold the power to control our emotions and thoughts instead of controlling our own emotions and creating positive thoughts.

If someone hurts you by doing something negative to you or saying something negative to you, they no longer deserve space in your mind and in your heart. Don't keep giving them something they haven't earned. Save your heart and mind for yourself and the people who treat you the way you want to be treated.

laure15

I don't hold grudges but I do dwell on negative comments.

Me too. I focus too much on negative comments and not enough on positive ones. When people compliment me, I think they're giving me too much credit and get embarassed. But when they criticize me, I tend to take it to heart.

If someone hurts you by doing something negative to you or saying something negative to you, they no longer deserve space in your mind and in your heart. Don't keep giving them something they haven't earned. Save your heart and mind for yourself and the people who treat you the way you want to be treated.

Agreed. Sometimes, I think people criticize me in hopes of spurring me to work harder and better, but this actually has the opposite effect.